Girls and Boys playing in the Spring

Big Poppa 17

I was at a game the other day talking to a coach that is "in the know", and he was saying that in the next few years that Tennessee will be going to girls soccer playing in the spring with boys soccer.  I am the boys coach at my school.  If it happens, we will all adjust, of course, but I do have a few concerns:

1. My biggest concern-the state of the fields.  Soccer in the spring in Tennessee is often wet and muddy, if you double the amount of games and practices on those fields, it could ruin some fields.

2. Coaches. There are a lot of schools that only have one soccer coach for boys and girls...

3. Facilities. Every school that I know only has one locker room for soccer, the girls use it in the summer and fall, the boys use it in the winter and spring. How will that work?

4. JV. When will our JV games be played?

The other stuff is just logistics (practice times, transportation, etc.), but those are some fairly legitimate concerns.

I agree with all of your points (especially because I coach both girls' and boys' teams).

1.  Spring fields would be awful.  We rarely play home matches before March.  

2.  Referees:  we sometimes only get duals with just the guys playing.  Can't imagine if it doubled.

3.  Taking away an option for the girls in the fall (they could only do volleyball and cross country)

4.  Taking away options for tennis, lacrosse, softball, and track.

5.  Buses for transportation.

6.  Limited light usage (some schools can only turn on stadium lights on certain nights or certain amounts of nights)

7.  Practice times (most practice fields don't have lights, so difficulties in scheduling (especially with limited light)

How do other states do it?

I think Kentucky has both girls and boys in the fall.  I would rather boys soccer move to fall if you are going to have them in the same season.

The statement about taking options away from girls is basically true for boy soccer players not being able to play tennis, baseball or run track.

I think Kentucky has both girls and boys in the fall.  I would rather boys soccer move to fall if you are going to have them in the same season.

The statement about taking options away from girls is basically true for boy soccer players not being able to play tennis, baseball or run track.

Correct, however moving guys to the fall would conflict with football.

While that might not affect all teams, CPA had 8 players on football that also played varsity soccer.  This would greatly hurt small schools with multi sport athletes.

I forgot to add that the reasoning behind this possibly happening is because most, if not all, of the states in our region (southeast), play both in the spring.  The way we do it, messes up girls travel soccer.  North of us, almost everyone plays both in the fall, which would be ok field wise, because the grass is stronger and it doesn't rain as much.  

I forgot to add that the reasoning behind this possibly happening is because most, if not all, of the states in our region (southeast), play both in the spring.  The way we do it, messes up girls travel soccer.  North of us, almost everyone plays both in the fall, which would be ok field wise, because the grass is stronger and it doesn't rain as much.  

You are close...

the reason for this is because region 3 premier league takes place in the fall and summer.

BigG, is there a timeframe for when this might happen?

We (coaches from each region across the state) have a meeting in 2 weeks to officially discuss.  We are getting feedback and information from schools across the state (hence me asking for coaches that coach both teams).

The resolution would be voted on this winter.  IF it got passed, I believe it would go into effect for the 17-18 year.

It doesn't mean it will pass.  Many years ago, the TN soccer coaches united against the 50% club rule and it wasn't passed.  

If it was moving boys to the fall, I would be for it (I hate coaching in the cold of the early spring), but I'm against moving the girls to the spring, if for no other reason, the amazing damage that would do to our soccer fields.  Plus, think about all the people who play on football fields...those football coaches would have a fit if there were two games played on a wet day on their precious field.

You are close...

the reason for this is because region 3 premier league takes place in the fall and summer.

Our best players could play ECNL as well. In fact since TSSAA allows SRPL games now why wouldn't they approve ECNL? Makes no sense and neither does the prohibition against training more than 6 v 6 if you allow them to play in games?

Word is this will also pave the wave for TN to get an ECNL club or two. I would love it for my daughter.