District 9 AA Thoughts

thebasketballGURU

sounds like WH has got their hands full this tuesday. Just read an article on preseason basketball in the midstate area. looks like it doesn't really matter who win in this district, they have no shot in heck on beating a Pearl Cohn team who returns 3 starters from a 28-3 record lastyear. While district dominance is way to start, in grand scheme of things being top team in district doens;t mean anything when trying to get to the glass house in the boro. Gnna be a good season.

....might want to check that record again. I witnessed more than 3 losses my self. they will be good but pretty similar to last year record about 20-10...they went 23-8 last year

Edited by thebasketballGURU

WHHeritage will scrimmage MBA on 11/17.  

HOF game at Clarksville Academy Thursday 19th.

Then pre district schedule is similarly difficult to WH.  Playing Springfield, East Lit, Pearl Cohn and Hume-Fogg all before Dec 4/ should make playing District games feel a little better after that tough stretch of games.  Maybe slip a win in on PC prior to football players returning to team.  Not really sure how many starters actually play fb.

Other teams first games? Tough or not?

springfield isnt a challenge, east lit lost their best player to ky, hume fogg is terrible...pearl is the only decent game in this list of "difficult" schedule you must not be up to date on your city schools, mba is tough but its a scrimmage so who really cares, idk anything about clarksville academy they could be good. 

springfield isnt a challenge, east lit lost their best player to ky, hume fogg is terrible...pearl is the only decent game in this list of "difficult" schedule you must not be up to date on your city schools, mba is tough but its a scrimmage so who really cares, idk anything about clarksville academy they could be good. 

well... good to know. Springfield is always a challenge but will take your word for it and no, had not heard about East kid going to Ky still an athletic quick team.  Hume, idk about terrible, they always have shooters... and I heard they had their own gym now. So, maybe 4-0 start. at worst 0-4 we shall see. 

Douglas is by far the best player in the district, although Brown and Baker are special players at Sycamore. Saw them scrimmage last week and Sycamore has some new athletes that didn't play last year. I think they will give teams fits this year with a strangling defense and a lot of shooters off the bench. Word is that Brown and Douglas are both being looked at hard by Belmont. Should be a fun season!

Are you kidding me?  Douglas at Belmont?  How tall is he?  6'2 or 3 maybe.  That won't cut it at forward in D-1 and he's definitely not a guard.

Well I was at the hoc tourny at Pope last night. I will start with Pope is very talented from top to bottom, great ball handlers, shooters, bigs, and bigs that can shoot. Saying that, they are poorly coached. And since they are private school I wont spend much time on them at all. Lexington have a couple kids that can really play. the pg and the off guard were solid, not sure if they are still playing football or not but seems like they are missing a few players that could help them be good and they might be playing football idk. White House I see what the talk is about but theres just something about them cant put my finger on it, they could win the district or finish fourth. 

WH vs Lexington

white house controlled and dominated the game i think they trailed 5-2 and thats the only time they were behind in that game. It never really was in doubt but there in  the 4th idk if WH was just playing around with Lex. because they knew they were going to win or if their coach was working on different plays or if he let them back in to show them how to win close games. Cause in the 4th they stopped running and shooting layups and 3s and went to this stall type motion, it was clear they didnt like it and couldn't do it. they much rather run and go all day. heard some parents or fans in the crowd saying this is what they did last year in the district tourny also. so it might be their 4th quarter offense idk, I hope not!! cause for 3 quarters they were fun to watch. Number 00,1,3,31,15 those are my numbers i wrote down key players for sure. 00 the pg, 1 TO against a bigger taller quicker guard and team all around. that's what you need. made some great decisions ran the team correctly. 1 is the work horse. things arent going well they just get him the ball and scores whenever he wants. 3 i was told is a FRESHMAN well good luck guarding him is all I can say. TRUE IN THE GYM RANGE. hand in face it doesnt matter if he gets it off the other team taking it out of the net. 31 big guy strong on the glass as nice touch from all locations, solid high school post player. 15 the energy guy the piss the other team off guy cause will pick you up anywhere take charges from 70 feet from the basket dives for loose balls just the guy a good basketball team needs. can shoot the 3 pretty good not great but he knows when to.

pope vs Lexington was close for 3 quarters then pope just blew them out in the fourth and continued that momentum into the white house game

POPE vs WH pope like i said has a big that can shoot that hurt wh didnt seem like they were comfortable guarding the big man outside. quick guards were able to get in the lane and throw something up there and big man just had back side rebound often. pope jumped out big 15-2 or something like that. Then number 2 for wh put the world on his shoulders for brief time until he picked up 2nd foul in the first, i think he scored ten straight to make it 15-12 and wh only had 18 at the half so...it was 36-18 I believe. Wh got hot from three in the second half started pressing forcing TO and bad shots which is what you have to do. Pope finally calmed down and started to beat it with over the top passes. and went from 8 points with around 2 min left to 15 or so by the end. If you want to beat WH just put in all the players you can afford to foul with early and send them to the line. Very poor foul shooters, im willing to bet they shot better from 3 then they did from the foul line. Willing to say they missed 20-25 ft in two games. 

side not anyone reading this from WH, I know the head coach is Coach Smith played against him when i played, but idk the other coaches, like a college coaching staff over there!! But one of them looks like THE EXPRESS! someone let me know if that is him, haven't seen him in years, and i couldn't find him after the game thanks

Pope players to watch if you play them 20,24,33,1 

White House 00,1,3,31

Lexington 1,11

Nice report GURU.  Wonder if fatigue played a factor at all with two games in a row.

Heritage did scrimmage MBA the same night. A loss 54-53. MBA gets a phantom call on a put back score to tie the game with 4 sec to go... that gives them an and one he hits the free throw . Heritage cant get the last second heave to go.   Heritage had the lead the entire 2nd half, a well played game by both teams. A game that came down to free throws in the 4th. Several missed by Heritage that could have sealed the win.  MBA has size and quickness. Can shoot lights out as well. Very good pre season game that had various scenarios that will help in reg season.

ksgovols: what is this about the District change....? First I have heard of this. I know the Districts Change every few years etc. Be nice to have a regional that didn't include Pearl Cohn or CPA. 

No hype.  Just Cleggy.  He does this every year.  I can't believe he has WHH in 2nd.

Last year for this district makeup?  I think so.  Glad of it.  I like the old 11AA leaps and bounds better as far as rivalries go and they're all closer from South Cheatham.

Good luck everybody.

okay ksgovols, Let me clarify, either cheatham or white house will win the title.  either way heritage will come in second.and one of those two will come in third.  Petrone has implemented a new fast paced, high octane, run and gun pressing offense that will suffocate most teams.  It has high risks but high rewards as well..................................  Only when Portland and White House combine high schools!  haha.  Gotcha didn't I?  It'll be the same ole' Petrone system but he just might have the players to make it work this year.  gonna have height and good defense.  that's a good mix to have.  At any rate, the WH/Heritage game will be a great atmosphere to watch a game at.  Full gym for sure.  Go Patriots!