Mitchell vs East concludes city wide playday last night.

Galilee

So that mean TCA moved to the Private Division also right haha

Ha! No, when I woke up we were still D1! We will be here until forced to move which will probably happen in 2017. To me, especially in basketball, you are not a state champion until you have beaten the public schools from Memphis. Winning a private state championship in basketball doesn't mean as much. It means a little more in football because the D2's are a little stronger with their top teams. Obviously I would put Alcoa and Maryville right there with them.

How many new "players" showed up this year? 

Does it matter? 

People forget for a team to get transfers another school has to lose those kids. I'm pretty sure Mitchell lost a few kids when Coach Phillips went to Whitehaven.

It is what it is. Memphis is Memphis and been that way for years. Other schools don't have to deal with the vast amount of private schools (CBHS, Lausanne, MUS, Briarcrest etc...) coming after your players. Nobody ever seems to mention that. They only talk about kids transferring school to school.

Edited by warmachine7954

Does it matter? 

People forget for a team to get transfers another school has to lose those kids. I'm pretty sure Mitchell lost a few kids when Coach Phillips went to Whitehaven.

It is what it is. Memphis is Memphis and been that way for years. Other schools don't have to deal with the vast amount of private schools (CBHS, Lausanne, MUS, Briarcrest etc...) coming after your players. Nobody ever seems to mention that. They only talk about kids transferring school to school.

We all know Memphis has an unfair advantage it just kills me that ya'll get on here and brag about how good you are knowing that what you do would be called cheating over here.   :popcorneater:

We all know Memphis has an unfair advantage it just kills me that ya'll get on here and brag about how good you are knowing that what you do would be called cheating over here.   :popcorneater:

So kids transfer and play at a school they're not zoned for... i.e 2 or 3 kids transfer to Ridgeway that are zoned for Southwind. (this is just an example)  But if they played for Southwind then Southwind would be the dominant team and not Ridgeway.

It's just a matter of what team in Memphis is dominant. It's a fact that boy's basketball is dominated by the city of Memphis. It's got more to do with culture than it does transfers. 

This is a basketball city. These kids live basketball daily. It's not just something you do because it's the only show in town like kids do in rural areas. I've coached in rural West TN (Gleason MS/HS 200 in HS), South Korea (Seoul American High School 600 in HS), Navajo Nation (Navajo Mountain High School 30 in HS) and now Germantown High School (2000 in HS). The difference is that Memphis kids live Hoop Culture. The shoes, the shirts, having a gym or gyms available to them all the time, The biggest AAU programs in the state at many levels are here in Memphis. 

If being sold out to the game of basketball is considered cheating then I'm a cheater too.

If the TSSAA wants a level playing field then they should let everyone else in the state practice year round. The 2.5 weeks of practice before your first game allows Memphis to be dominant because other areas of the state are restricted from playing in a gym or getting coached. Kids need to be coached and we don't allow it to happen in Tennessee. 

Memphis kids get coached by somebody or have access to a gym or games all the time. Other kids don't.

Plus the opportunity to go to a better school is not something that parents and kids are gonna pass up. If a kid can go to school A where they feel safer, better educated, and more welcome then why would they go to school B where they fear of being harmed, have teachers that don't care and are around constant drama? 

We all know Memphis has an unfair advantage it just kills me that ya'll get on here and brag about how good you are knowing that what you do would be called cheating over here. :popcorneater:

I have good friends whose kids attend UC and have the utmost respect for their Football and Basketball teams but I would be careful bringing up transfer issues. UC had a kid transfer in this year from South Fulton and they had Parker Stewart transfer in last year. Both were legitimate transfers but they were transfers. It happens everywhere. We all speculate that Memphis kids may transfer illegally sometimes but we really don't know the truth. I'm sure one slips through occasionally against the rules but I believe that most do not. Guys like Galilee, who is a retired AD, play by the rules and do it right. I would suspect most do. Memphis just has so much talent that it does seem like they sometimes don't play by the rules when in reality they do.

I have good friends whose kids attend UC and have the utmost respect for their Football and Basketball teams but I would be careful bringing up transfer issues. UC had a kid transfer in this year from South Fulton and they had Parker Stewart transfer in last year. Both were legitimate transfers but they were transfers. It happens everywhere. We all speculate that Memphis kids may transfer illegally sometimes but we really don't know the truth. I'm sure one slips through occasionally against the rules but I believe that most do not. Guys like Galilee, who is a retired AD, play by the rules and do it right. I would suspect most do. Memphis just has so much talent that it does seem like they sometimes don't play by the rules when in reality they do.

Kids move from school to school more than most know especially in an urban/suburban setting It's all good and fine when that team doesn't win. But when a school starts winning everyone wants to complain and say how unfair it is.