CPA basketball interesting year ahead

Mothman26

They lost to Cain Ridge in BB yesterday, you don't see this happen often.

Coach Brooks, what is your opinion of the year ahead for CPA men's BB team?

You mean now that they are back to being a high school competing against other high schools?

Not sure yet, haven't seen this team play.  I have always said the system and past success was based on being able to overwhelm the opponent with superior talent.  Since that doesn't seem like it will happen this year due to departures and no new DI talent transfers that I am aware of I would expect it to be much different this year unless the system has changed and some real coaching rises up.

You mean now that they are back to being a high school competing against other high schools?

Not sure yet, haven't seen this team play. I have always said the system and past success was based on being able to overwhelm the opponent with superior talent. Since that doesn't seem like it will happen this year due to departures and no new DI talent transfers that I am aware of I would expect it to be much different this year unless the system has changed and some real coaching rises up.

So if they have a good record does that mean he suddenly learned how to coach?

So if they have a good record does that mean he suddenly learned how to coach?

No, since it is not something you suddenly learn overnight.  More like whether past success has been based more on talent then coaching.  Many "coaches" can win at HS level if they have more talent then everyone else.  But when the talent is not there, coaching ability becomes readily evident and easy to gauge.  

I didn't think the question was ever "can he coach?" but rather is he legitimately putting a team on the floor....

I've questioned both.  Granted, my opinion was developed relatively early, but have seen nothing yet to change it.  Take for instance Mason, Miller, Anderson Sr. year, talented enough,but did not return to state.  I saw role issues, offensive and defensive scheme issues.  Example - playing Mason and Zelnik (double post) together IMO big mistake, since it brought an extra defender into paint to jam things up.  Should have surrounded 4 perimeter shooters around Mason since no one in the state could match up. That is all about coaching, plain and simple.  

I've questioned both. Granted, my opinion was developed relatively early, but have seen nothing yet to change it. Take for instance Mason, Miller, Anderson Sr. year, talented enough,but did not return to state. I saw role issues, offensive and defensive scheme issues. Example - playing Mason and Zelnik (double post) together IMO big mistake, since it brought an extra defender into paint to jam things up. Should have surrounded 4 perimeter shooters around Mason since no one in the state could match up. That is all about coaching, plain and simple.

So your style is four out. Right? Did Mason, Backwell, etc ever pop to the perimeter to shoot, screen or pass???

I find it interesting that you use style of play to define coaching instead if skill development and teaching. Do you dislike Syracuse's matchup zone or Cald dribble drive at KY? What about Hoibergs drag screen?

I respect your opinion but its more semantics than substance IMO.

So your style is four out. Right? Did Mason, Backwell, etc ever pop to the perimeter to shoot, screen or pass???

I find it interesting that you use style of play to define coaching instead if skill development and teaching. Do you dislike Syracuse's matchup zone or Cald dribble drive at KY? What about Hoibergs drag screen?

I respect your opinion but its more semantics than substance IMO.

Don't confuse style with scheme.  In college you can recruit to both.  In HS unless you have the same personnel each year, it is better to fit the scheme to the personnel.  That year a scheme with 4 perimeter and one interior better suited the personnel as opposed to two post players especially since Zelnik was very limited on perimeter.  And it wouldn't in the least limit Z Mason from being on the perimeter within that scheme in order to change it up.  

• Upvote 1