CPA basketball interesting year ahead

Mothman26

Don't confuse style with scheme. In college you can recruit to both. In HS unless you have the same personnel each year, it is better to fit the scheme to the personnel. That year a scheme with 4 perimeter and one interior better suited the personnel as opposed to two post players especially since Zelnik was very limited on perimeter. And it wouldn't in the least limit Z Mason from being on the perimeter within that scheme in order to change it up.

I agree. The example you used though is based off your opinion Mason was purely a post when in fact he shot from the perimeter and attacked the rim from there as well.

Sometimes your players skill set and mentality dont fit their body type. Mason is an example of this as were Blackwell and Lindsey.

Having two posts bang against inferior sized and strength opponents is not a bad thing. Especially if one of the bigs can guard on the perimeter and is a good passer on offense.

I'll adapt to my players but I'll teach my style because its what I do best. Maybe thats what he's doing? Good discussion. Thank you.

I agree. The example you used though is based off your opinion Mason was purely a post when in fact he shot from the perimeter and attacked the rim from there as well.

Sometimes your players skill set and mentality dont fit their body type. Mason is an example of this as were Blackwell and Lindsey.

Having two posts bang against inferior sized and strength opponents is not a bad thing. Especially if one of the bigs can guard on the perimeter and is a good passer on offense.

I'll adapt to my players but I'll teach my style because its what I do best. Maybe thats what he's doing? Good discussion. Thank you.

Not the space to go in and cover all the dynamics of what 4 out 1 in means, but never once did I say Mason was "purely a post" and could not be used on the perimeter.  I certainly understand the theory by playing 2 posts together, but what is good "on the grease board" does not mean it is good for the team.  I can assure you with that personnel it was not the best way to play because then it was easier to bring help on Z when he got the ball inside which made it tougher on him, along with space to allow perimeters to get to the basket, dish to Z when help came, etc.  Merely one example from that year of a team that still won plenty of games, but not what I would describe as well coached.

Not the space to go in and cover all the dynamics of what 4 out 1 in means, but never once did I say Mason was "purely a post" and could not be used on the perimeter.  I certainly understand the theory by playing 2 posts together, but what is good "on the grease board" does not mean it is good for the team.  I can assure you with that personnel it was not the best way to play because then it was easier to bring help on Z when he got the ball inside which made it tougher on him, along with space to allow perimeters to get to the basket, dish to Z when help came, etc.  Merely one example from that year of a team that still won plenty of games, but not what I would describe as well coached.

Ken, there is apparently no limit to your bitterness. Geez!

Sure there is because I am not bitter, but those like you can continue to try to feed your perception, that is your choice.  Here is a truth, I can disagree with others, reveal a fact or state an opinion and does not make me bitter.  

Sure there is because I am not bitter, but those like you can continue to try to feed your perception, that is your choice.  Here is a truth, I can disagree with others, reveal a fact or state an opinion and does not make me bitter.

You are correct stating your opinion does not mean you are bitter. Never having anything good to say about Drew Maddux shows you are bitter. He was not the one who did not offer you a new

contract at CPA. Time to move on.

You are correct stating your opinion does not mean you are bitter. Never having anything good to say about Drew Maddux shows you are bitter. He was not the one who did not offer you a new

contract at CPA. Time to move on.

So are you saying if he was the one who did not renew my contract, I could be bitter?  For the record, since you brought it up, if you do not think he and his cronies did not use influence and play a role, you would be sadly mistaken.  He made his agenda well known at my expense.  Still, I have no right or does it do me any good to be bitter.  The topic of the thread is CPA basketball and coaching.  And unless you have never stated what might be considered by some an unfavorable opinion of a coach, either publicly or privately, it would be hypocritical of you, or anyone for that matter, to try and call me out on it.

You miss my point. Whatever happened, you are only hurting yourself by lashing out after so much time has past. It is not about Drew or me or anyone else. You are hurting yourself.

JMHO

We have different definitions of "lashing out." I have a good memory, no sense in repeating yourself which you continue to do, so feel free to keep your JMHO to yourself.  

I hope you realize that he was simply replying to a post from someone who specifically asked his opinion on the matter.  When responding to the direct question, do you suggest that he lie?  I for one value his opinion on matters which he is in position to know much about.

The best thing to come out of CPA basketball this year will be once and for all it can be somewhat settled has CPA basketball flourished under Coach M due to the players who transferred in or due to superior coaching?

If CPA makes it to the final 8 in AA this year with the talent currently at the school, then one must give credit to Coach M and give both he and CPA their due for developing players.

Since the worst CPA has done in the last 5-6 years is go to the final 8 at state, anything less than this, no matter who is on the team currently, would show CPA is just a product of how well players are brought in from AAU.

The best thing to come out of CPA basketball this year will be once and for all it can be somewhat settled has CPA basketball flourished under Coach M due to the players who transferred in or due to superior coaching?

If CPA makes it to the final 8 in AA this year with the talent currently at the school, then one must give credit to Coach M and give both he and CPA their due for developing players.

Since the worst CPA has done in the last 5-6 years is go to the final 8 at state, anything less than this, no matter who is on the team currently, would show CPA is just a product of how well players are brought in from AAU.

Time will tell...whether they win or lose, I am happy that this current team appears to be comprised of students who chose CPA for school, as opposed to for the BB experience. Still can't help but wonder why there weren't any big transfers in this year.  

I just hope the coach's ego can handle more losses, and he won't take it out on the kids. I know it certainly won't bother me much to see him pacing and yelling at refs when he's losing, as it did when they were up by 30+ and the starters were still in.

I think many of transfers of the past who came in 8th grade or earlier, certainly used Drew's system to their advantage and got 5 years of HS play. 

Whatever the outcome, it will be interesting to watch it play out.

So a coach whose team lost multiple multi-season starters is going to be graded off of one season where he has to make it to the Boro or he's graded as "not being good". Makes sense. ðŸ‘

So a coach whose team lost multiple multi-season starters is going to be graded off of one season where he has to make it to the Boro or he's graded as "not being good". Makes sense. ðŸ‘

Spin this any way you want. 2 years ago CPA lost "multiple multi-season starters" and did just fine, as a matter of fact they still made it to state. Why not expect them to do the same this year? What is the difference this year? CPA is still full of great athletes who have been there since grade school so again what is the difference now? In reading many posts over the last few years about CPA basketball, many, not all, but many CPA supporters have said the core of the team were the kids who have been there since grade school, so what's the difference now in terms of expectations? Explain.