CPA basketball interesting year ahead

Mothman26

Spin this any way you want. 2 years ago CPA lost "multiple multi-season starters" and did just fine, as a matter of fact they still made it to state. Why not expect them to do the same this year? What is the difference this year? CPA is still full of great athletes who have been there since grade school so again what is the difference now? In reading many posts over the last few years about CPA basketball, many, not all, but many CPA supporters have said the core of the team were the kids who have been there since grade school, so what's the difference now in terms of expectations? Explain.

I imagine expectstions are very high dont you? Your criteria for determining whether ir not the guy can "coach" is odd. Why could you not decide if he can coach after all these years? Whats changed? Why now? Why is this a make or break year for you?

I imagine expectstions are very high dont you? Your criteria for determining whether ir not the guy can "coach" is odd. Why could you not decide if he can coach after all these years? Whats changed? Why now? Why is this a make or break year for you?[/quote

Nothing has changed, has it? You tell me? We can discuss after the season and you can give your expert opinion on the record. I don't know why you are so defensive, based upon the same circumstances as the last 5-6 years they should be in state tournament, correct? What has changed?This track record shows he is a great coach, correct? Using the fact that he is a great coach as proven by his record, there are no excuses for not returning to state, correct? I'm sure you would agree since you appear to be defensive that I could remotely suggest that CPA sucess on the BB court in recent years was possibly due to BB players transferring in?

Since you are apparently close to CPA, why don't you give your expert opinion of the season ahead? If nothing has changed as you indicate, why would you believe they would not have the same sucess as the last few years. However, if your opinion of the season ahead is not so promising, then you can explain WHAT HAS CHANGED vs the last 5-6 years.

I imagine expectstions are very high dont you? Your criteria for determining whether ir not the guy can "coach" is odd. Why could you not decide if he can coach after all these years? Whats changed? Why now? Why is this a make or break year for you?[/quote

Nothing has changed, has it? You tell me? We can discuss after the season and you can give your expert opinion on the record. I don't know why you are so defensive, based upon the same circumstances as the last 5-6 years they should be in state tournament, correct? What has changed?This track record shows he is a great coach, correct? Using the fact that he is a great coach as proven by his record, there are no excuses for not returning to state, correct? I'm sure you would agree since you appear to be defensive that I could remotely suggest that CPA sucess on the BB court in recent years was possibly due to BB players transferring in?

Since you are apparently close to CPA, why don't you give your expert opinion of the season ahead? If nothing has changed as you indicate, why would you believe they would not have the same sucess as the last few years. However, if your opinion of the season ahead is not so promising, then you can explain WHAT HAS CHANGED vs the last 5-6 years.

Defensive? Posing a question is not being defensive. Now, making comments about being an "expert" certainly are.

My questions to you are valid. You cherry picked one year instead of looking at the body of work and its easy to see why.

Im not close to the basketball program at all. Yes ive seen them play and have drawn my conclusions based on those games. To suggest the guy cant coach clearly shows either a lack of basketball IQ or prejudice. Im not suggesting hes incredible but I do believe hes a solid coach and seems to teach the game well.

The best thing to come out of CPA basketball this year will be once and for all it can be somewhat settled has CPA basketball flourished under Coach M due to the players who transferred in or due to superior coaching?

If CPA makes it to the final 8 in AA this year with the talent currently at the school, then one must give credit to Coach M and give both he and CPA their due for developing players.

Since the worst CPA has done in the last 5-6 years is go to the final 8 at state, anything less than this, no matter who is on the team currently, would show CPA is just a product of how well players are brought in from AAU.

Interesting and potentially valid point based on the types of posts one has read over last several years.  Too many automatically equate great records with great coaching.  Sure, that is possible, but one of the truest litmus tests of a coach's ability is beating teams when you do not have as much talent as your opponent.  Since that has not been the case, this year appears to be provide a clearer test for people who want to debate coaching ability.  

My questions to you are valid. You cherry picked one year instead of looking at the body of work...

That is simple to answer - because the body of work is based on having far superior talent than opponents.  Most TN HS teams do not have any players that can play at the D1 level.  In basketball one makes a big difference, 2 can definitely put you in contention for state title.  Now imagine having 3-5 of those type players on the floor over each of the last 6 years which has been the case at CPA.

Interesting and potentially valid point based on the types of posts one has read over last several years. Too many automatically equate great records with great coaching. Sure, that is possible, but one of the truest litmus tests of a coach's ability is beating teams when you do not have as much talent as your opponent. Since that has not been the case, this year appears to be provide a clearer test for people who want to debate coaching ability.

While others dismiss coaching ability because of better talent. It works both ways doesnt it?

While others dismiss coaching ability because of better talent. It works both ways doesnt it?

It can, but not always.  The discerning eye looks at the system, player movement/footwork, how players develop during their careers, defensive fundamentals, not just winning because of more talent.  

It can, but not always. The discerning eye looks at the system, player movement/footwork, how players develop during their careers, defensive fundamentals, not just winning because of more talent.

I agree. Thats why an evalution by those that understand the game can be done with a decent sample size.

If a person uses a scorebord to determine whether or not a team is coached well, played good, or is "better" then they would be wrong.

• Upvote 1

I hope you realize that he was simply replying to a post from someone who specifically asked his opinion on the matter.  When responding to the direct question, do you suggest that he lie?  I for one value his opinion on matters which he is in position to know much about.

Yes, I realize that he was merely responding to someone asking his opinion. No, I am not saying he should lie. I am saying that perhaps he might want to temper his criticism of another coach.

Again, JMHO.

Edited by Bighurt