Knoxville West 2016 Football Off season Thread

WestHigh4Life

Well the 2015 season for Knox West could be best described as what could have been. From a head coaching change and change in offensive philosophy to a key player transferring and multiple off season and in season injuries...9-3 and a region championship was pretty darn good.

Now its time to look forward to 2016. First West returns 9 starters and several key contributors to a solid stout defense that won multiple games by themselves. Look for even more improvement from this unit with another solid offseason of lifting and training.

The offense was a disaster this past season and can only improve. First thing that will help is the return of #6 and #5 from injuries to help w the running game. #11 and #1 also return to help stretch the field w the passing game. #14 and #12 both return at qb and hopefully make a huge leap in the off season. The only question is the oline which loses three starters off of it. Truth be told this group underachieved this year and that could have happened due to a coaching change. Hopefully this unit gets better bc it will need to for any type of playoff run next year.

The schedule will be about the same and West could go anywhere from 7-3 to 10-0.

Feel free to discuss! Go Rebels!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the 2015 season for Knox West could be best described as what could have been. From a head coaching change and change in offensive philosophy to a key player transferring and multiple off season and in season injuries...9-3 and a region championship was pretty darn good.

Now its time to look forward to 2016. First West returns 9 starters and several key contributors to a solid stout defense that won multiple games by themselves. Look for even more improvement from this unit with another solid offseason of lifting and training.

The offense was a disaster this past season and can only improve. First thing that will help is the return of #6 and #5 from injuries to help w the running game. #11 and #1 also return to help stretch the field w the passing game. #14 and #12 both return at qb and hopefully make a huge leap in the off season. The only question is the oline which loses three starters off of it. Truth be told this group underachieved this year and that could have happened due to a coaching change. Hopefully this unit gets better bc it will need to for any type of playoff run next year.

The schedule will be about the same and West could go anywhere from 7-3 to 10-0.

Feel free to discuss! Go Rebels!

Agreed! The OL was terrible and need a new coach! The loss of 6 and 5 was no factor! Get over yourself! RB's make OL's better than they really are. If anyone should know that, it is the West Rebels!

Agreed! The OL was terrible and need a new coach! The loss of 6 and 5 was no factor! Get over yourself! RB's make OL's better than they really are. If anyone should know that, it is the West Rebels!

So u do not think that 6 or 5 would have helped West at all? Gotcha. Well my opinion is that West with any type of running game could have done a lot better than throwing it four times each time they were in the red zone against Fulton in the 4th qtr. Not saying they would have scored or won just saying that having one if not both of those young men out there makes a defense have to account for them rather than sending the house and sack the qb bc they know all he is going to do is throw it up each down.

All I hope for is both those young men make full recoveries and have great seasons next year so they can continue their careers on the next level.

So u do not think that 6 or 5 would have helped West at all? Gotcha. Well my opinion is that West with any type of running game could have done a lot better than throwing it four times each time they were in the red zone against Fulton in the 4th qtr. Not saying they would have scored or won just saying that having one if not both of those young men out there makes a defense have to account for them rather than sending the house and sack the qb bc they know all he is going to do is throw it up each down.

All I hope for is both those young men make full recoveries and have great seasons next year so they can continue their careers on the next level.

6 and 5 had a huge impact on your ability to run the ball effectively.

Here's my thoughts fwiw. And I'm no expert, but I think first and foremost,

the players need to take care of business in the classroom and make sure they are going to be eligible for next year. And two, they will need to hit the weight training hard and become a much stronger team across the board.

Of course, that second one goes for all high school football teams, but West did lose a really good strength and conditioning coach that went with Cummings.

I think they return seven or eight on D, depending on if you consider the smaller D lineman a starter or not. And on offense, I think another year into the new system they will improve, both qbs should take a step forward and the return of the 1-2 punch at rb will make the offense really hard to stop. Gotta find a TE and a couple O-lineman. Rebs will be better next year.

• 2 months later...