Rhea County Off Season

EaglePride1

Thanks Passive, great article about a great young man on and off the field that the Eagles will definitely miss next year. Tyler has been fun to watch the last few years and I wish him and the other graduating seniors the best in all they do.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have some good candidates for QB and whoever wins the job has to be able to not only throw (appears Dieckhause has a solid arm) but to manage the offense and execute the flawless play fakes and misdirection this offense calls for. It would also be great to have someone sharp enough and athletic enough to run the option and add a dimension to this offense that has been missing. We may not have that type of guy in line for QB this year but I feel good about the guys we have and their skill sets. That being said, the question I have is; Who can replace Noel and bring that explosiveness not only the offense but also to special teams? Noel was incredible at making the play "down the field" in my opinion he was one of the best Rhea has ever had at adjusting to and catching the deep ball. Can't say enough about this kid and his improvement over the last couple of years. His downfield blocking and ability as a returner will be missed as well.

So the WR position will be open but who can fill it?

I agree Braxton I think will be the starting QB next fall. He does have a very good arm and from what I have seen he does pretty well with play execution and misdirection.

I think we might have a freshman that could give us that option look. I can't remember his name right now but he was pretty athletic from the few freshman games I watched. Pemberton's son is a pretty good athlete too.

That is a great question about who will be the WR next year. I mean we lost the top 3 WR on the depth chart. We may not see another WR like Noel for a long time. He could just go get it, but like you said he was a solid blocker and helped spring many long runs for the backs.

Line wise we are losing some good ones but we have some good ones returning and coming up.

Same thing can be said for the backs Bice Eddie and Mason are back and we have some very good ones coming up. Sturgeon I think will have a chance if he keeps getting better. Also Shy Ezell was a absolute monster for the freshmen this year he could see some playing time next year at RB or as a returner.

Edited by Rhea Co.

without Noel i want to see more of the double tight look we saw in the second half against sevier.

Agreed, but will still have to develop some kind of a deep threat to keep the defense honest. Edwards will need to step up his game at tight end and become a bigger part of the offense again. Also gonna have to be able to connect with the wing backs on some of the deep and intermediate wheel routes out of the backfield; when the ground game is churning - these plays are almost always open. If the upcoming linemen develop well in the off season and this spring; the running attack could be really good again next year but their has to be some balance in the passing game. Pemberton has the plays and the philosophy in place to have the balanced passing attack that will lead to an overall more balanced offense. Noel is a great ball player and he made it easy for this team and passing game to become dependent on him and it really showed when he got injured. Looking for another big offseason in the weight room and a productive and injury free spring to help answer some of these questions. Already excited about opening up at Baylor next fall! GO EAGLES!

That mindset will be detrimental for the school's sports and athletes. Athletes willing to put in the work required for more than one sport are your powerhouses willing to work twice or thrice as hard. If they can cut it, they should be allowed to play.

If a kid loves other sports then he should play them....but acting like it's not a negative for the football program if a starter misses the entire off season is a little silly.  

It's not 1985...football (and most other sports) are year round now.  

• 1 month later...

Colby Prigmore is looking like the starter for 2016. He didn't get to play this last season because he transferred to Rhea County too late to be eligible to play football. He seems legit, but he is going to be a senior.

Seen his name on the roster last season and was curious about him. Where did he transfer from? Edited by RCfan

He transferred from Farragut just before the season started. Due to his late entry, he was unable to play in varsity games, but did see some action during a scrimmage between Rhea County's Freshmen and Sophomore players.

I can recall another QB named Prigmore from that blue school across the river who was a excellent ball player, this guy also played LB for the Vols. Any relation by chance?

I'm not quite sure, but he should be a good replacement for Noel. As for the QB situation, there are many factors at work. Braxton is looking like the starter if he sticks with football, but there is also Seth Stulce. He did not play this season due to personal reasons, but rumors around the program say he could make a return for his senior year. He was 2nd string behind Dotson when he took over the job mid-season 2014, and seemed to look better developed as a QB compared to Braxton. He would still have to work for it, but he could be a contender. Zach Pemberton was the main QB for the JV team, but Hayden Frazier got a lot of snaps in JV games after Pemberton was injured. There are also members of the team that are not in the QB position, but have experience at QB and could fill that role.