Rhea County Off Season

EaglePride1

Yes it would be fitting to be the one to put an end to that streak. It will be interesting to see what Baylor has too.

Starting talent wise we can play with anyone in 5A, but we do need to develop more depth. Which we have summer and fall camp to develop more depth and really the first few games to find some depth too. Depth wise we are going to be young but talented. The key will be getting those young guys up to varsity game speed.

Also I have talked to a few others about this off of here, but looking ahead to 2017 with reclassification. It looks like we will be heading back up with Maryville, Blackman, and other bigger schools. This year will be out best chance at getting a shot state title.

Agreed. 2016 looks like our best chance at state considering our student population is over 1500 and growing with each successive class, making us one of the largest schools in 5A. If we are going to Cookeville, this needs to be the year. I'm not saying we couldn't win in 6A, but the road would get exponentially tougher overnight if we moved to 6A, especially with the juggernaut of Maryville that has always been the silencer of Rhea County's playoff hopes when they were in the same class.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depth analysis

QB

Probable starter:

Zach Pemberton, SO.

Current Backups:

Logan Hall, JR.

Personal evaluation: 1st team Freshman QB from 2014. Played RB in 2015. Currently starting at corner. Logan can manage the offense fairly well. His former position at RB gives him a slight edge in the event of a pocket collapse, but pressure in game-time situations could be a factor in his position on the depth chart.

Hayden Frasier, SO.

Personal Evaluation: Back-up to Zach Pemberton for the Freshman team in 2015. Holds a position on special teams as a place kicker. Great arm, but seemed to have trouble when pressured. He can escape the pocket when he's focused, but needs to learn to hone in on that if he plans to stay at QB for Varsity.

Ross Pendergrass, FR.

Personal Evaluation: Rhea Middle QB from 2015. Big time arm and great skills with footwork in the pocket. He mastered the Wing-T in middle school in his 1st and only year as the starter, so the new formation should not be that difficult for him. Probably has the best talent of the group, but has never taken a high school varsity snap. He has great potential, but I have seen many have promise only to succumb to the pressure of high school football and bow out after a year or two. Should be interesting to see where he goes before he graduates.

Kyle Carr, FR.

Personal Evaluation: Spring City QB from 2015. Prior to 2015, Carr was third team QB behind Ram Stulce and Aubrey Smith, but was thrust into starting action for his 8th grade year. Spring City out performed expectations last season and made it for its 4th straight appearance in the CVC championship, but fell for the second straight year, posting a record of 6-3, only losing to Kingston, Rhea Middle, and (I think) Oliver Springs in tight matchups. Carr could surprise, but he needs to improve as a passer and with footwork to compete.

What are everyone's thoughts on the depth situation at QB and other positions and the current players you think could solve their position group's depth issue?

Edited by kamerb

Depth analysis

QB

Probable starter:

Zach Pemberton, SO.

Current Backups:

Logan Hall, JR.

Personal evaluation: 1st team Freshman QB from 2014. Played RB in 2015. Currently starting at corner. Logan can manage the offense fairly well. His former position at RB gives him a slight edge in the event of a pocket collapse, but pressure in game-time situations could be a factor in his position on the depth chart.

Hayden Frasier, SO.

Personal Evaluation: Back-up to Zach Pemberton for the Freshman team in 2015. Holds a position on special teams as a place kicker. Great arm, but seemed to have trouble when pressured. He can escape the pocket when he's focused, but needs to learn to hone in on that if he plans to stay at QB for Varsity.

Ross Pendergrass, FR.

Personal Evaluation: Rhea Middle QB from 2015. Big time arm and great skills with footwork in the pocket. He mastered the Wing-T in middle school in his 1st and only year as the starter, so the new formation should not be that difficult for him. Probably has the best talent of the group, but has never taken a high school varsity snap. He has great potential, but I have seen many have promise only to succumb to the pressure of high school football and bow out after a year or two. Should be interesting to see where he goes before he graduates.

Kyle Carr, FR.

Personal Evaluation: Spring City QB from 2015. Prior to 2015, Carr was third team QB behind Ram Stulce and Aubrey Smith, but was thrust into starting action for his 8th grade year. Spring City out performed expectations last season and made it for its 4th straight appearance in the CVC championship, but fell for the second straight year, posting a record of 6-3, only losing to Kingston, Rhea Middle, and (I think) Oliver Springs in tight matchups. Carr could surprise, but he needs to improve as a passer and with footwork to compete.

What are everyone's thoughts on the depth situation at QB and other positions and the current players you think could solve their position group's depth issue?

I think we have good depth at QB but experience is the bigger issue with QB position going into the season. However, that was kind of a given even if Braxton decided to play. He had some experience but everyone was pretty much in the same level when it came to meaningful varsity experience. Talent wise though we should be solid for years to come.

Big recruiting news to share. Jared Edwards has verbally committed to Memphis. Also, has anyone heard the latest from Dimitrius Patterson (Class of 2014)? Last I heard, he had decommitted from the University of the Cumberlands and was planning on walking on with the Vols.

Depth analysis

QB

Probable starter:

Zach Pemberton, SO.

Current Backups:

Logan Hall, JR.

Hayden Frasier, SO.

Ross Pendergrass, FR.

Kyle Carr, FR.

Great analysis!

Who are you talking about when you say "all these players". I know about the two QBs but who else? How many have quit??

Other than Braxton and Logan, I know that Zion Goins, Ridge Boofer, Riley Patton, Colby Prigmore, and Garrett Smith are no longer with the team.

My brother told me that we also lost a couple of incoming Freshman to Baylor. A receiver/DB from Rhea Middle and a LB/RB from Spring City and that one of the good backs from Rhea Middle is now going to Meigs. I'm not sure why so many of these kids aren't playing. I can't imagine not wanting to be an Eagle. I miss playing everyday.