Kicking game rules question

Lead

I kicked in highschool and there were a few things that I never quite understood.

1. Why does a punt not count from where the ball is kicked but a field goal does?

2. When a field goal is missed why does the offense take over from the original line of scrimmage one not where the ball was kicked since it would have been counted from there if it was made. I guess the way it stands now it's like an incomplete pass.

Just a couple of things I have always wondered about but never was able to get a good answer.

Never understood the punt thing either. I'd say on the field goal you know exactly the point from where the ball is kick and not on a punt where the punter is moving.

On a missed fg in the nfl the ball is placed at th spot of the kick. College it is placed at the line of scrimmage. In high school as long as the missed kick crosses the goal line it is considered a touchback and placed at the 20.