Henry County 2016

MSURacer

Obviously, you're a man (or woman) who believes that size is all that matters. I believe that size is important. However, it's what you do with it that matters most. Quality over Quantity, my friend. When you go 15-0, two out of three years, I don't care what "classification" you're in, that's pretty dang impressive. So, around these parts, It's Gold Ball or Bust!

I about fell out in the floor laughing.  Then I read your fifth sentence and realized you were talking about football.  So as long as we are talking about football we agree.  I think.  LOL!!!

Henry County should always be good.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man of little faith...same was being said about the Patriot team of 2013 and we all know how that ended. Never underestimate the superior coaching staff that HCHS is blessed with. 8 win seasons are sufficient for some programs...not Henry County. State Championships or bust.

The 2013 team had loads of experience and quality depth all over the field (it's the main reason we still went undefeated despite the slew of injuries we saw over the course of the year). They also had a huge senior class. This team does not. The 2016 Patriots will have talent, quite a bit of it. But we will be leaning heavily on the junior and sophomore classes.

I agree that it's very early, but I don't necessarily disagree with his position. I think 7 or 8 regular season wins followed by a run of 2 or 3 rounds in the playoffs is a decent expectation for this bunch, possibly a semifinal appearance if the D comes together nicely over the year. 

Personally, I think 2017 will be 'our year' to make another bonafide run at a state title. But then again, I also thought our 2014 team would be better than our 2013 team, so I could always be wrong. 

Centennial was a good 6a football team, but not great. They moved down to 5a and we saw what happened. What you said about the coaches, players, and tradition I agree with. There is no doubt 5a is harder for y'all now then it was in the Counce Sr era. The last part I completely agree with, but not state championship or bust every year. 

This is just a matter of what the field offers in a given year. Our 2013 team, which only sent 2 players to the college level, and had several close games, probably could have played up in 6A that year and made it all the way to the finals simply because of how weak this side of the bracket was that year in 6A. I'm sure some folks in Hendersonville would disagree with that, but you get my point.

On the flip side, our 2008 team, which was probably one of the 2 best teams we've ever field (some might even say the best), had 2 SEC players in its backfield along with a half dozen other college prospects, they blew the doors off everyone they played, but still lost in the semifinals.

It's all about your strengths and weaknesses vs whatever the field has to offer in a given year. There is usually some luck involved in winning a state title, but I firmly believe that when Henry County is up, and I mean really "up", there isn't a team in the state we can't compete with.   

Unless this years defense is way better than I expect we will probably not make it further than 2nd or 3rd round of playoffs. I fully trust our coaches and everyone involved but realistically this is not the year. But 2017 is another story Henry County will be loaded and we will have huge senior and juniors classes by then. But realistically I don't see a state championship this year but boy I would love to be wrong. Just too many young players for that to happen but offense should be very hard to stop with an athletic QB that can run and will improve passing along witha two or maybe three headed monster at RB. It will take a great defense to slow these boys down, good just won't get it. So Go Big Red!!!!

Never fear, my gerber pats friend; the best defense is a good offense. The offense will put together 10-12 play drives and give the defense plenty of rest. A stingy, ball-control offense is the key. Back in '08, the offense would usually take 1 play to score (Teague or Allen, take your pick) and give the defense about 30 seconds of rest. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, because many teams would love to score any time. However, it does put a strain on the defense. Therefore, the time of possession battle will be of utmost importance this season. And don't worry, the '16 defense will fly around and make plays, they always have!

• 2 weeks later...

something is definitely wrong when the Henry Co thread falls from page 1, even during the offseason

whats up ladies and gentlemen

Things  are pretty quiet over here right now but will be picking up soon as the summer workouts are soon to begin.I was wondering about you,dhs,recently and have watched for your commentary on the 4/5 threads. Couldn't find any recent news about the Crusaders.We are all wondering over here about the impact of the JCM closing. I would think that it should be a nice boost for Liberty, a boost that you really didn't need.Be seeing you in late August.

GO BIG RED

Things  are pretty quiet over here right now but will be picking up soon as the summer workouts are soon to begin.I was wondering about you,dhs,recently and have watched for your commentary on the 4/5 threads. Couldn't find any recent news about the Crusaders.We are all wondering over here about the impact of the JCM closing. I would think that it should be a nice boost for Liberty, a boost that you really didn't need.Be seeing you in late August.

GO BIG RED

my response is as such...

yes we are gaining many JCM athletes and students...however, rezoning and the lack of preparation by our school board has also cost us many liberty student athletes as well...as an example...walked into the locker room one day before the zoning reports were official, and lets just say there was a full house...the day after the new zoning becomes set in stone...maybe a third of the team was gone because they wouldnt be playing for us next season...

more poor planning by the local school board...we have open enrollment and now a rezoning of the county...but how does one fill out the proper paperwork for open enrollment and meet the required deadline for said paperwork...when the rezoning for schools hasnt been made official beforehand...leaving parents and students hanging out to dry not knowing which school their child has been zoned for if they were to choose that opportunity

we have no idea what we are getting from the Cougars...ive spoken to sources at NS, SS and Liberty and they all basically say the same thing "oh yea we're getting 75-80% of their athletes"  "coach so and so told me so"...im not so sure coach so and so is a reliable source for what mom and dad plan to do with their children

so no one really knows for sure...the junior class at each school was given the option to stay at their current school regardless of rezoning so they could graduate as expected...every other class has to follow the rezoning rules...that werent made official until after the deadline for open enrollment had passed

fortunately for liberty...our skill guys were all juniors this past season...so we will once again be fast...very very fast

• 2 weeks later...