Future at Karns

SGHSAlum93

Tobi Kilgore resigned yesterday. As far as I can see he made a lot of changes and did a decent job at trying to get that placed turned around. Looks like he wanted to pursue other options. Haven't heard any names as of yet. Who are the top candidates to get the job at Karns? Do they stay in Knox county or do they bring some one from outside in? What will it take to turn that place around?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tobi Kilgore resigned yesterday. As far as I can see he made a lot of changes and did a decent job at trying to get that placed turned around. Looks like he wanted to pursue other options. Haven't heard any names as of yet. Who are the top candidates to get the job at Karns? Do they stay in Knox county or do they bring some one from outside in? What will it take to turn that place around?

A Miracle. I really feel sorry for this school and all their fans that this program has been at the bottom so long. I am not really in touch why and what the causes are but I'm sure it isn't good or this problem wouldn't go on and on like this for years.  I do know a lot of families that live in that area that pay a lot of money to send their kids to GCA to avoid going there. What's up there? What seems to be the problem? Who is the culprit that keeps this mess going and going. 

Tobi did a lot for that program in his 2 years there.  The facilities are light years ahead of where they were when he arrived.  The W/L record may not have been great, but the program is a lot better off now that it was.  

Tobi has made it no secret that he has been interested in going in to administration, and his organizational and leadership skills are tailor made for his being an assistant principal/athletic director now and a principal in the future.  He'll do well in that role, which I am led to believe will happen sooner rather than later.  The ball is in Jim McIntyre's court now as to where and when that appointment happens.  

Karns is a solid community and their athletic program is good.  The other sports have been more than competitive.  Tobi's hard work has made the job a lot more desirable than it was when he arrived.  

Tobi did a lot for that program in his 2 years there.  The facilities are light years ahead of where they were when he arrived.  The W/L record may not have been great, but the program is a lot better off now that it was.  

Tobi has made it no secret that he has been interested in going in to administration, and his organizational and leadership skills are tailor made for his being an assistant principal/athletic director now and a principal in the future.  He'll do well in that role, which I am led to believe will happen sooner rather than later.  The ball is in Jim McIntyre's court now as to where and when that appointment happens.  

Karns is a solid community and their athletic program is good.  The other sports have been more than competitive.  Tobi's hard work has made the job a lot more desirable than it was when he arrived.  

If anyone would know your the person I trust. Hope his work continues then. I hate seeing a school like Karns be at the level they have been when most of the programs around them have had great teams over the years. It just don't make sense.

HTV, do you think Karns will stay in house then? Or do you think someone from outside the program will land it? I would assume that if your opinion is the consensus around the area, then Karns would look to make the hire of someone on Tobi's staff right?

I believe that there will be more outside interest in the job this time around because of the work Tobi has done with the facilities and his work of changing the perception of the program.  One of the best things he did was bring athletes from other sports in to the football program, which in the past for whatever reasons didn't happen a whole lot.  That can only help with attracting quality and experienced coaching candidates.  

Since the job was just posted on Friday morning and by Knox County policy it has to be posted for at least 10 days it will be a while before anybody really knows much.  

So, to get to your question I believe if the right outside candidate can be found - and that being an experienced head coach who fits the program or a coordinator type from a successful program - there is a good possibility that it will be somebody from outside of the program.  But if that person doesn't emerge, there are a couple of good candidates already on that staff who have head coaching and coordinator experience, either of whom I believe would be a good choice as well.

What folks have to remember is that Knox County is not an easy place to hire a proved successful head coach to.  The pay is so so at best, the coaching supplements are among the lowest in the state, and the current teacher evaluation process is, to be kind, totally discombobulated.  There aren't a lot of quality and experienced teachers wanting to come in to the Knox County system right now, be they coaches or non-coaches.  

That said, I know Mrs. Towe well enough to know that she isn't going to make the same kind of mistake that Powell made a couple of years ago when they hired a coach from Chattanooga who made absolutely no sense what so ever in terms of being a fit for the job and the community.  She will do her due diligence and actually hire somebody who fits the job, unlike the debacle that was in the hiring of that guy.   

Edited by HTV

I believe that there will be more outside interest in the job this time around because of the work Tobi has done with the facilities and his work of changing the perception of the program.  One of the best things he did was bring athletes from other sports in to the football program, which in the past for whatever reasons didn't happen a whole lot.  That can only help with attracting quality and experienced coaching candidates.  

Since the job was just posted on Friday morning and by Knox County policy it has to be posted for at least 10 days it will be a while before anybody really knows much.  

So, to get to your question I believe if the right outside candidate can be found - and that being an experienced head coach who fits the program or a coordinator type from a successful program - there is a good possibility that it will be somebody from outside of the program.  But if that person doesn't emerge, there are a couple of good candidates already on that staff who have head coaching and coordinator experience, either of whom I believe would be a good choice as well.

What folks have to remember is that Knox County is not an easy place to hire a proved successful head coach to.  The pay is so so at best, the coaching supplements are among the lowest in the state, and the current teacher evaluation process is, to be kind, totally discombobulated.  There aren't a lot of quality and experienced teachers wanting to come in to the Knox County system right now, be they coaches or non-coaches.  

That said, I know Mrs. Towe well enough to know that she isn't going to make the same kind of mistake that Powell made a couple of years ago when they hired a coach from Chattanooga who made absolutely no sense what so ever in terms of being a fit for the job and the community.  She will do her due diligence and actually hire somebody who fits the job, unlike the debacle that was in the hiring of that guy.   

hmmm...wonder if a former coach in that area is interested...hmmmm

I believe that there will be more outside interest in the job this time around because of the work Tobi has done with the facilities and his work of changing the perception of the program. One of the best things he did was bring athletes from other sports in to the football program, which in the past for whatever reasons didn't happen a whole lot. That can only help with attracting quality and experienced coaching candidates.

So, to get to your question I believe if the right outside candidate can be found - and that being an experienced head coach who fits the program or a coordinator type from a successful program - there is a good possibility that it will be somebody from outside of the program. But if that person doesn't emerge, there are a couple of good candidates already on that staff who have head coaching and coordinator experience, either of whom I believe would be a good choice as well.

What folks have to remember is that Knox County is not an easy place to hire a proved successful head coach to. The pay is so so at best, the coaching supplements are among the lowest in the state, and the current teacher evaluation process is, to be kind, totally discombobulated. There aren't a lot of quality and experienced teachers wanting to come in to the Knox County system right now, be they coaches or non-coaches.

That said, I know Mrs. Towe well enough to know that she isn't going to make the same kind of mistake that Powell made a couple of years ago when they hired a coach from Chattanooga who made absolutely no sense what so ever in terms of being a fit for the job and the community. She will do her due diligence and actually hire somebody who fits the job, unlike the debacle that was in the hiring of that guy.

If have heard many times before that Knox Co is not a very attractive place for recruiting experienced coaches. I completely get the supplement and low pay. But the evaluation system seems a mute point. Is it not the same one used in every other public school system across the state??

No, it is not.

I am not saying you are wrong. I have been a public school teacher for 11 yrs in 3 different districts and they have all used the same. I would be very interested to know which ones don't and how they can use a different one. I would assume that the vast majority of the state uses the TEAM model for teacher evaluation. What does Knox co use??

Knox county use to use both TEAM and TAP. Not sure if that's still the case, but I know it was at one point. Believe the bigger issue Knox county has is completely selling out to a coach. Letting them bring a staff in and get rid of any person holding the program back. Will be anxious to see how much movement a new HC will be allowed to have at Karns when it comes to staff.