John Klock Classic 2017

REVDL

We are once again hosting the John Klock Classic in Elizabethton on Jan 14th, 2017. This year we will again offer a SuperQuad the night before for anyone wanting to pick up some additional matches. Below I have attached the flyer for the upcoming tournament and this years Friday night Saturday schedule so everyone can know how everything runs.

Third Annual John Klock Classic Duals

Date: January 14, 2017

907 Jason Witten Way

Elizabethton TN 37643           

Entry Fee: To try to cut down on teams dropping out at the last minute this year we are going to ask teams pay a nonrefundable deposit of $75.00 to reserve their spot in the tournament. To encourage teams to pay the deposit early I have set up the following team fees:

$150.00 per team (if deposit paid before Sept. 5, 2016)

$ 175.00 per team after Sept 5, 2016            

Please make checks payable to Elizabethton High School Athletics and mail all deposits to the above address.

Format: Teams will be divided into 4 pools and wrestle 5 duals each. My goal again this year is to have 16 teams with 4 mats so that we can finish no later than 6PM. If we have 16 teams the top teams from each pool will come out and face off to determine 1st through 4th place. The 2nd place finishers will come out and face off to determine 5th through 8th place. The third and fourth place teams will also do likewise to determine 9th through 16th places. This will guarantee everyone five matches in one day.

Background Information: This will be the third annual John Klock Classic Duals. Last year we had 16 teams (committed 15 showed up the day of the meet) and everyone got five matches in a day and wrestling finished by 6 PM. West Henderson High School from North Carolina won the event for the second year in a row. My goal this year is to keep as close to that tournament schedule making it a relatively short day by wrestling standards. My hope again this year is to try to promote this as multistate event by getting at least 4 teams from North Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee and then trying to maintain a presence from West VA by getting at least 3 teams from there This would give me 15 teams and my team would round the tournament as the 16th team. If this happens I plan to divide the pools up in such a way that most teams will get at least 2 out of state matches in the day. I believe this can be an awesome day of wrestling for everyone and this year to try to ensure teams are getting matches I’m going to ask that teams that enter the tournament have a minimum of 8 wrestlers on their squads to keep things competitive. If you are interested in being a part of this special event that honors the Coach that started wrestling in Elizabethton please let me know so that I can begin putting together a tentative roster for this event.     

Weigh-Ins: 7:00-8:30 AM

Wrestle: 9:00 AM

Awards:

Custom Championship Belt for Coach of Winning team and Medals for all of the wrestlers

Plaques and/or trophies will be awarded for 2nd through 5th places.

Hospitality Room: Will be available for coaches, referees, administrators, and tournament workers.

Teams that Competed last year (if colored in red  have already given a verbal or email commitment for 2017):

From TN

CAK (12th in A/AA state), Daniel Boone, David Crockett, Elizabethton, Happy Valley, Greenback (24th in A/AA state), Sullivan East (19th A/AA in state), Knox Webb (16th Division 2 state), Morristown East

From VA

Union (20th in AA state), Virginia High School (23rd in AA state), John Battle (26th in AA state), J.I. Burton

From NC

Cannon High School, West Henderson

From West Va.

Pikeview (33rd in AA state), Princeton  (30th AAA)

Concessions and T-Shirts will be available for the tournament.

Contact Info: Donnie Shipley                                                              

Elizabethton Wrestling Coach                                      

Cell (423)794-9882                                                      

Work (423)547-8015                                                   

Donnie.shipley@ecschools.net

We will be offering the opportunity for teams to participate in a Super Quad on Friday Jan 13th to get an additional 3 matches that night. We did this last year and several teams that had traveled to spend the night found it a very good opportunity to get an additional day of wrestling in and guarantee most of their wrestlers 8 matches in 2 days.

Friday Schedule

Weigh-Ins 5PM

Wrestling Begins at 6PM

Last year we ran 3 mats of high school wrestling and 1 mat of middle school wrestling Below is what that schedule looked like:

Round 1

Elizabethton vs. Webb

Greenback Vs Cannon

Happy Valley vs. CAK

Happy Valley Middle vs Webb Middle

Round 2

Elizabethton vs CAK

Greenback vs. Happy Valley

Cannon vs. Webb

T.A. Dugger vs. Webb Middle

Round 3

Elizabethton vs.  Greenback

Happy Valley vs. Knox Webb

CAK vs. Cannon

T.A. Dugger vs.Happy Valley Middle

Saturday Schedule:

Weigh-Ins 7AM-8:30AM

Wrestling will begin at 9AM

Round 1: 9AM

Round 2: 10:30AM

Lunch 12:00PM

Round 3: 12:30PM

Round 4 2:00PM

Round 5 3:30PM

Championship Ceremony 5PM

This is how I intended things to be set up last year with each pool having 2 TN teams and 2 out of state teams so everyone could get 2 out of state matches, but a couple of last minute cancelations changed the schedule a little bit. My plan will be the same this year so that no one is wrestling someone that they typically would see at another event in the first 3 rounds. By the end of the day last year we completed the last round and the awards ceremony just a little after 6PM. It is my hope to run even smoother this year and finish by 5PM.

Pool A (Mat 1):

1. Cannon
  2. Elizabethton
  3. Fulton
  4. Princeton WV

Pool B (Mat 2):

1. Daniel Boone
  2. Greenback
  3. Va High
  4. Webb

Pool C (Mat 3)

1. CAK