LIPSCOMB

WaReAgLe3

Bowers is probably making more money as a coach and AD at Ensworth than the Head of School at Lipscomb... Probably more than Casey Alexander at the University. No way he is giving that up to coach basketball at LA.

Ricky may very well be a better coach than Casey Alexander.  It has been my experience that when you have a problem you hire the best possible option and Ricky would be one of Lipscomb's options.  Make Ricky Bowers the head of the campus school and watch the $$$$ follow him.  Successful people want to be around other successful people.

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

There's no way Ricky will leave Ensworth for any other HS job in the state of TN.  I think he was intrigued by the Lipscomb University job out of respect for Coach Meyer and his Alma Mater.  The Head of the campus school has only been there for two years at the most.  He is also an excellent basketball coach himself...check his resume.  He won 12 or 13 state championships at Westbury Christian in Houston.

Ricky may very well be a better coach than Casey Alexander.  It has been my experience that when you have a problem you hire the best possible option and Ricky would be one of Lipscomb's options.  Make Ricky Bowers the head of the campus school and watch the $$$$ follow him.  Successful people want to be around other successful people.

Not going to happen. Would not make any sense for him to leave.

You would think that with the basketball success that the head of the school and the athletic director have enjoyed that they could identify and land a really good basketball coach - certainly better than what they've had the last few years. I think they should have tried to bring in Scott Sanderson after he left Lipscomb University after the 2013 season. He would have been a definite upgrade.

You would think that with the basketball success that the head of the school and the athletic director have enjoyed that they could identify and land a really good basketball coach - certainly better than what they've had the last few years. I think they should have tried to bring in Scott Sanderson after he left Lipscomb University after the 2013 season. He would have been a definite upgrade.

I don't think "identifying" a quality coach is the issue. I think it is "landing" a quality coach that is the problem. First, they have to be C of C which I would say eliminates at least two thirds, if not more, of your qualified candidates. Then, you factor in that private schools generally don't have the retirement package that the public system has. So anyone who has significant experience in the public system probably isn't going to give up their retirement to go to a private school unless the money is just way over what they are currently making. At Lipscomb, I would not think they would be willing to pay that kind of money. I have no idea what LA pays but I have friends who coach at a Goodpasture, Nashville Christian, Mt Juliet Christian, and a few others and I do know what they pay. So, if those are in the same ballpark money-wise as LA, I think its probably not as easy of a sell for admin as some of you are suggesting. Not saying it's a bad job, not saying they won't land a big name coach that will wow us all... I hope they do! I am just saying that some of you act like the Lipscomb admin are just going to show up on Bowers', Sanderson's or Stallings' doorstep with a dump-truck full of cash and hire them to come to LA. I don't think that is realistic. Then again, maybe I am the delusional one...

I have to disagree about the Lipscomb job not being that good of a job any more. All it takes is the right leadership. If Adam Sonn can be successful at a peer school like Goodpasture (and GP has owned Lipscomb since he has been at Goodpasture), there's no reason that Lipscomb should not be a better program than GP. Lipscomb has fallen way behind CPA in most sports even though they do not have dissimilar student profiles. Nashville Christian has done very well the last 2 years with a former Lipscomb Academy coach. Obviously going D2 changes the dynamics of the situation, but who's to say that it won't change for the better. 

The Sanderson suggestion was based on the fact that he would have had the opportunity to coach one of his sons for a few years.

The difference between goodpasture and lipscomb is goodpasture plays in a weak single A district . Lipscomb arguably plays in one of the toughest districts in AA . Only a young coach trying to make a name for himself thinking his system can beat all those athletic teams takes that job . They need more talent and a very energetic coach who knows how to play those schools