Memphis Area Players being Recruited - 2017

kwc

Cordova DL Braylon Brown is first 2017 commitment for Norvell's Tigers

1220_masp_umfb_sun.JPG
University of Memphis head football coach Mike Norvell at practice.

Posted: March 08, 2016

By Tom Schad of The Commercial Appeal

Posted: March 08, 2016

Cordova High School junior Braylon Brown posted on Twitter this morning that he has committed to the Tigers, who offered the 6-foot-4, 260-pound defensive end last week. Brown, who is not rated by major recruiting services, also recently received an offer from Cincinnati. He attended Memphis' junior day late last month.

“He’s a very explosive player. Great kid. Comes from a great family. Very humble upbringing," said Cordova coach Anthony Jones. "He’s a kid who plays relentless on every play of a football game. The way he plays in the game is exactly how he practices throughout the week. He’s an unbelievable young man with a great spirit, and I’m extremely excited for him.â€

Brown recorded nine sacks and 18 tackles for a loss for Cordova last season, finishing with 38 tackles overall. He also recorded a safety in a win over Booker T. Washington and scored on a 20-yard fumble return in a victory over Collierville.

Jones said Brown has added 10 to 12 pounds over the past nine weeks alone. Though he's a defensive end for Cordova, he also has the ability to shift inside and use his size to occupy blockers or stop the run.
“It’s where Coach (Mike) Norvell and the defensive staff feel he’ll be needed," Jones said. "But he’s versatile enough to play both. He has the running ability to play on the edge, which is always a good thing for us in high school. So he’s a very versatile kid that can do both positions, inside and outside.â€

Brown is the latest in a growing list of local players to commit to Norvell, whose 2016 signing class includes Memphis University School standouts Tim Hart and Thomas Pickens and Briarcrest Christian wide receiver Hunter Hill.

Though Brown held only two Football Bowl Subdivision offers, Jones said there was widespread interest in the junior defensive end from programs across the country. And he believes that other interested suitors will continue to call, despite Brown's commitment.

"He’s a kid that’s going to blow up on everybody’s radar," Jones said. "Once the coaches turn the film on, I’m sure the interest will continue to be expressed through him. ... I think he’s going to have a ton of interest. But Memphis is home for him."

Braylon Brown's Hudl highlights - Jr Year

Edited by kwc

KIPP quarterback Dewayne Betts commits to Kansas State

Yesterday 5:11 p.m.

preps-generic.jpg

By John Varlas of The Commercial Appeal

Yesterday 5:11 p.m.

A hometown assist helped Dewayne Betts land the offer of his dreams.

Betts, a class of 2017 quarterback from KIPP Academy, announced Wednesday that he has verbally committed to play at Kansas State.

Verbal commitments are nonbinding but Phoenix coach Tim Thompson said his star is sold on the Wildcats and legendary coach Bill Snyder.

"Southern Miss and Alcorn State offered," he said. "But his dream is to play with the big boys, playing against Texas, playing in the Big 12. Having a quarterback from Memphis get a chance to play at that level is very exciting."

Betts — a 6-3, 205-pound dual threat — came to Kansas State's attention thanks to the efforts of assistant athletic director Clint Dowdle, who passed along the player's highlight tape to the staff. Dowdle is a Memphis native and former ECS football and basketball standout.

"They fell in love (with Betts)," said Thompson.

And the feeling is mutual.

"I just felt so honored that they came to me," said Betts, who plans to visit Manhattan for the school's spring game next month.

Betts led KIPP to the Class A playoffs in 2015, finishing the regular season 100 of 177 passing (56.5 percent) for 1,765 yards with 26 touchdowns and just four interceptions. He also ran for nearly 400 yards and five scores.

"I'm an accurate dual-threat quarterback that can make plays," said Betts when asked to describe his game. "I love to win. And I bring a lot of leadership."

Added Thompson, "They expect him to get up to about 220. He has very little body fat and he's great in the weight room. They love the fact that he's a big quarterback that can run and he's a great fit for their system.

"They were looking at 15 quarterbacks but Dewayne is the one they offered."

Edited by kwc

• 2 weeks later...

Quinton Bohanna commits to Kentucky Football

Cordova DL, Quinton Bohanna, commits to Kentucky Football

6UhOf-yf_400x400.0.0.jpg

The Kentucky Wildcats are fresh off a very successful 2016 class, and their 2017 haul is already shaping up to be another good one.

The latest prospect to join UK's list of 2017 pledges is three-star defensive tackle Quinton Bohanna, according R i v a l s Justin Rowland.

Bohanna has since announced his commitment on Twitter:

A 6-4, 300-pounder out of Cordova (TN), Bohanna. got his scholarship offer from Mark Stoops and co. after attending UK's recent Junior Day. The Memphis Tigers the only other program that has offered him to this point,  but bigger programs like Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Mississippi State have shown interest.

247 Sports also now has Bohanna listed as a three-start commitment for the Cats, as well as the No. 45 DT in the class of 2017. He joins QB Mac Jones, DE James Hudson, WR Craig Yeast, RB Michael Warren, LB Bryant Koback and QB/WR/DB Walker Wood as 2017 commitments.

This is quickly shaping up to be a class that UK may have the majority of before the next football season opens.

Here are some highlights of Bohanna from his junior campaign.

Edited by kwc

The recruitment of Richardson is far from over. Both FSU and home state Tennessee will be in the next all the way to signing day. Tennessee has two other 4 star RB prospects in this class as well. Chase Hayden and Ty Chandler.

Depending upon the recruiting service you look at these three guys vary in position in this recruiting class. I've linked both Chase and Ty to their 247 profiles. 247 has Chase leaning towards UT at 100% and Ty leaning towards Ole Miss at 85%. All three have options. With Cordarrian being the only one to have verbally committed at this point things will get interesting.

I would imagine that UT is highly toxic right now with the issues that are looming over HC. Time will tell. I don't see why Cordarrian would change from Clemson to UT at this point. Quite honestly, things could go sideways for the coaching staff at UT real quick. It is going to affect recruiting.

• 1 month later...

Depending upon the recruiting service you look at these three guys vary in position in this recruiting class. I've linked both Chase and Ty to their 247 profiles. 247 has Chase leaning towards UT at 100% and Ty leaning towards Ole Miss at 85%. All three have options. With Cordarrian being the only one to have verbally committed at this point things will get interesting.

I would imagine that UT is highly toxic right now with the issues that are looming over HC. Time will tell. I don't see why Cordarrian would change from Clemson to UT at this point. Quite honestly, things could go sideways for the coaching staff at UT real quick. It is going to affect recruiting.

You're pretty ignorant when it comes to anything you've said about UT. Butch and his staff are in the clear.

You're pretty ignorant when it comes to anything you've said about UT. Butch and his staff are in the clear.

Just because they are "In the clear" doesn't change the fact that the whole situation just looks awful and it will be used against them for years to come. The whole situation is toxic. I'm sure with time people will forget because they always do, especially if you win, but currently coach Jones is making the Geiger counter go haywire. It figures the school took the bunker mentality. It's either that or jettison the coach, and UT football has been in the crapper for quite a while now and the last thing they wanted to do is get rid of a coach who has seemed to turn the program around ... so they weathered the storm. But hey, if the UT program wins this fall, all is forgiven. However, that doesn't change the fact that it still stinks to high heaven, regardless of the all clear status. If I were Cordarrian, or if I was advising him, I would tell the young man to steer clear of UT as long as Butch is the coach. There are too many programs that don't have a mushroom cloud hanging over the program ('in the clear' status or not) to choose from then to attach yourself to that mess. That's my "pretty ignorant" opinion.

Edited by kwc

Just because they are "In the clear" doesn't change the fact that the whole situation just looks awful and it will be used against them for years to come. The whole situation is toxic. I'm sure with time people will forget because they always do, especially if you win, but currently coach Jones is making the Geiger counter go haywire. It figures the school took the bunker mentality. It's either that or jettison the coach, and UT football has been in the crapper for quite a while now and the last thing they wanted to do is get rid of a coach who has seemed to turn the program around ... so they weathered the storm. But hey, if the UT program wins this fall, all is forgiven. However, that doesn't change the fact that it still stinks to high heaven, regardless of the all clear status. If I were Cordarrian, or if I was advising him, I would tell the young man to steer clear of UT as long as Butch is the coach. There are too many programs that don't have a mushroom cloud hanging over the program ('in the clear' status or not) to choose from then to attach yourself to that mess. That's my "pretty ignorant" opinion.

I do not think you are ignorant in any way. I always enjoy your post but I think you are making a lot bigger deal out of the UT situation than it is. Im not being a homer either. I do pull for UT but I am an Auburn fan. Thats where Cordarrian should be going LOL. Auburn should be a no brainer for any RB.

I do not think you are ignorant in any way. I always enjoy your post but I think you are making a lot bigger deal out of the UT situation than it is. Im not being a homer either. I do pull for UT but I am an Auburn fan. Thats where Cordarrian should be going LOL. Auburn should be a no brainer for any RB.

LOL ... Auburn already has a Memphian in their backfield from Memphis Wooddale. I thought it was ironic that when the U of M played Auburn in the bowl game that the RB at Auburn, who was torching the U of M defense, was himself a Memphian. Irony at its best.

As far as my POV on the UT situation ... I quite frankly think I'm being nice to UT. I think that situation is very similar in spirit to what happened at Penn State. I would have put the death penalty to Penn State. They would have been like SMU back in the day. I think that the 'reverence' for UT football overshadowed and influenced all of the reactions by the so-called 'adults'. Shameless is what comes to mind. I lost ALL respect for Butch and the coaches and administration that supported/supports him and the manner to which they responded.

My opinion.

Edited by kwc