Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

Anyone surprised?

http://www.fox13memphis.com/news/dozens-of-doping-tests-threaten-russian-wrestling-team/174232372

Russian wrestling head clarifies comments on doping cases

Updated: Mar 22, 2016 - 8:00 AM

MOSCOW —

MOSCOW (AP) — The head of the Russian wrestling federation has clarified his statements on doping, saying Tuesday he meant there was an "epidemic" across all sports in the country.

Mikhail Mamiashvili had told local media there were "several tens" of doping cases in Russia, but later said he was not speaking only about wrestling.

"I meant the facts that have already been stated in speedskating, figure skating, swimming and other sports," he was quoted as saying by the Tass news agency.

Russian sports have been hit by several doping scandals in recent years. The recently banned endurance-boosting drug meldonium is responsible for a new wave of failed doping tests this year by Russian athletes, including Maria Sharapova.

While Mamiashvili insisted Russian wrestling's doping problem was smaller than previously reported, he did confirm that Russian national team wrestlers Sergei Semyonov and Evgeny Saleyev had tested positive. Saleyev won a world championship silver medal in 2014.

Mamiashvili told Tass he was not aware of any other doping cases in Russian wrestling.

In neighboring Georgia, there have been six failed doping tests for meldonium in the country's national wrestling team, including Olympic silver medalist Davit Modzmanashvili. He faces a possible life ban for a second career offense.

Russia finished at the top of the medals table in wrestling at the 2012 London Olympics and won seven gold medals at this month's European championships.

Also Tuesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin's spokesman said Vitaly Mutko would remain in his post after the s;ports minister had hinted he could resign over Russia's series of doping scandals.

"Mutko will continue to work as the sports minister," Putin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said. "Let's not forget that the president ordered an in-depth investigation into the meldonium scandal. In this case, we need to reconstruct events to avoid this in the future."

10 years ago, Big Name Brands Leaves his stepping stone VT, and then New guy Dresser dreams big and...

He takes over the Hokies prior to the 2006-07 season... They tied for 60th at the NCAAs in his first season.

Iowa, steered by ex-Tech coach Tom Brands, was fifth with 81 points. Iowa has won 23 team crowns.

A top-four finish had been Dresser’s preseason goal.

“I think a lot of people thought I was nuts, but I really believed in this team,†Dresser said. “You’ve got to set the bar high.â€

Six Hokies had clinched All-America honors Friday. Tech tied Penn State, Oklahoma State and Iowa for the most All-Americans this year.

At night’s end, Dresser was named the national coach of the year by his peers.

http://m.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/va_tech/virginia-tech-wrestling-team-achieves-top-four-finish/article_311dc981-0a94-5bf2-8f88-7e822863bfa6.html?mode=jqm

Virginia Tech wrestling team achieves top-four finish

Pic

DAVE KNACHEL | Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech wrestling coach Kevin Dresser yells instruction during the NCAA wrestling championships on Saturday at Madison Square Garden.

By Mark Berman [email protected] 981-3125 | Posted 3 days ago

NEW YORK — Walt Frazier’s retired No. 10 New York Knicks jersey hangs from the rafters at Madison Square Garden.

The Virginia Tech wrestling team prefers the number four.

The Hokies took fourth out of 72 teams at the NCAA championships at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night — the best showing in their history.

“That’s where we belong,†Tech coach Kevin Dresser said.

It was the first top-four finish for Tech or any other ACC program. The top four squads in the three-day tournament each team got to take to the mat and take home a team trophy.

“This team’s obviously something special,†said Tech’s Zach Epperly, a Christiansburg native who took third in his weight class. “We belong here now. That’s something that we have to look forward to now every year, that we can do year in and year out. It’s a trophy team now.â€

Tech’s previous high was eighth place two years ago. This was Tech’s fourth straight year in the top 10.

“Taking home a team trophy would ultimately make me the happiest man alive,†Tech heavyweight Ty Walz said Saturday night while waiting to see if his team would remain in the top four.

Tech was joined in the top five of the final standings by some powerhouse programs.

“We don’t have a rich tradition … like Penn State, like Iowa, like Oklahoma State,†said Walz, who finished fourth in his weight class. “We’re trying to start that new tradition and I think we’re starting it right now.â€

Penn State had 123 points to win the team crown for the fifth time in six years. Oklahoma State, which has won the team title 34 times, was second with 97.5. Defending champ Ohio State was third with 86.

Tech earned 82 points, eclipsing last year’s school-record total of 56. Tech would have had 83 but was docked a team point Saturday morning for a flagrant misconduct call on Nick Brascetta.

“We got pushed and we retaliated,†Dresser said.

Iowa, steered by ex-Tech coach Tom Brands, was fifth with 81 points. Iowa has won 23 team crowns.

The Hokies were third entering Saturday night’s finals, with Iowa fourth and Ohio State fifth. But Tech had no finalists, so it could have fallen to fourth or fifth.

Tech clinched a top-four finish when Iowa went 0 for 3 in the finals.

Both of Ohio State’s finalists then won, so the Buckeyes rose to third and Tech finished fourth. World heavyweight champ Kyle Snyder of Ohio State beat two-time defending NCAA champ Nick Gwiazdowski of North Carolina State in overtime to conclude the tournament.

A top-four finish had been Dresser’s preseason goal.

“I think a lot of people thought I was nuts, but I really believed in this team,†Dresser said. “You’ve got to set the bar high.â€

“We’ve been preaching that ‘We’re going to be a trophy team,’†said Jared Haught, who took sixth in his weight class.

Six Hokies had clinched All-America honors Friday. Tech tied Penn State, Oklahoma State and Iowa for the most All-Americans this year.

The Hokies ended the regular season ranked third in the USA Today coaches poll but finished second to second-ranked North Carolina State at this month’s ACC championships.

Dresser took over the Hokies prior to the 2006-07 season. They tied for 60th at the NCAAs in his first season.

Five University of Virginia wrestlers qualified for the NCAAs, but none earned All-America honors. Three of those five wrestlers were seniors.

UVa was 48th in the standings, down from 19th last year.

“Not happy about the way the year went,†UVa coach Steve Garland said. “We’ve got some great recruits coming in.

“We want to be contending for a team trophy, just like … Virginia Tech.â€

Only one of the eight Hokies who qualified for the NCAAs was a senior — Brascetta, a three-time All-American who took third in his weight class.

The other seven could be back in the NCAAs next year, perhaps with a few more teammates.

“Everyone’s going to keep getting better,†said Tech’s Solomon Chishko, who finished sixth. “It’s only going to get better.â€

At night’s end, Dresser was named the national coach of the year by his peers.

• Upvote 1

Contrast this 197 lb national champion two-timer Singing and playing the song... One More...

As Mizzou struggles to transform itself and it's image, what a Breath of fresh air with only their second national champion...

Published on Oct 28, 2015J'den Cox, 2015 NCAA All-American, 2014 NCAA National Champion and two time defending MAC champion in his weight class, sings an original composition at the Mizzou: Our Time to Lead kickoff event. Mizzou: Our Time to Lead is the University of Missouri's new $1.3 billion dollar fundraising campaign that seeks to transform campus by 2020. The campaign emphasizes raising funds for three priorities: endowments, signature centers and institutes and campus renaissance. Find out more about Mizzou: Our Time to Lead at http://giving.missouri.edu.

...Dean’s perspective began to change. He always had taken losing hard. As a freshman, Dean would cry after a loss or even a bad practice.

“The biggest thing this year for me, and Grant helped drive this home for me, is I think it’s really easy to value a lot of superficial things,†Dean said. “… As athletes, we tend to value winning and losing and sports so highly that it almost creates this fear of failure inside of us. We don’t compete to our full potential because we’re so wrapped up in just trying to win, and we’re so scared to lose and of failure.â€

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2016/03/24/gabe-dean-cornell-wrestling-cancer/82196874/

Pic

Courtesy of Gabe Dean

Grant Pratt and Gabe Dean

Two days after Gabe Dean won his second straight NCAA title at 184 pounds, the Cornell wrestler from Lowell was talking about losing.

“If I wasn’t wrestling in the national finals this past weekend,†Dean said, “and if I didn’t win, I would have been OK because I’ve still got just a wonderful life and I’ve got an incredible family and I’ve got incredible friends. I’ve got an amazing program that I get to represent.â€

This refreshing outlook in a 21-year-old college junior can be attributed to one person: Grant Pratt.

Shortly after Dean beat Nebraska’s TJ Dudley in Saturday’s NCAA wrestling finals at New York’s Madison Square Garden, he gave an interview live on ESPN. Dean was emotional and said he had gained perspective. He thanked Pratt, a 14-year-old eighth-grader at Lowell Middle School with acute lymphoblastic leukemia who was home in Michigan watching on TV.

“Yeah, me and Grant were out there wrestling that night,†Dean told the Free Press. “It was not just me. He was out there with me. That one goes out to him, for sure.â€

The Dean and Pratt families have been friends for years through a kinship built around school. Pratt’s father, Greg, is the Lowell Area Schools superintendent. Dean’s dad, Dave, was Lowell High’s wrestling coach, and his uncle, Noel Dean, is the school’s longtime football coach.

“We’d go over there for dinner and play euchre and swim in their pool,†Dean said. “And they’d come over to our house to play cards and hang out and play basketball. We just became really, really close family friends over time.â€

Shortly after Pratt was diagnosed Nov. 30, Dean’s mother, Bethny, called her son to break the news.

DETROIT FREE PRESS

Metro & state: Cornell's Gabe Dean (Lowell) defends wrestling title

“I started to kind of tear up immediately,†Dean said. “I also was kind of in shock. It’s hard to understand those things. Why? Why something like that would happen to such a wonderful person and, a kid for that matter, that just loved sports and to be outside and do all those kinds of active things.â€

That’s when Dean’s perspective began to change. He always had taken losing hard. As a freshman, Dean would cry after a loss or even a bad practice.

“The biggest thing this year for me, and Grant helped drive this home for me, is I think it’s really easy to value a lot of superficial things,†Dean said. “… As athletes, we tend to value winning and losing and sports so highly that it almost creates this fear of failure inside of us. We don’t compete to our full potential because we’re so wrapped up in just trying to win, and we’re so scared to lose and of failure.â€

Dean began thinking about Pratt and how he has faced cancer the same way he has everything else in his life: straightforward and without remorse. When he thought about it, Dean said he had never seen Pratt cry. Not once. Even after losing a wrestling match as a youngster.

“He stays so even-keeled,†Dean said. “He’s been happy. I’ve never heard him complain one time. I’ve never heard him get sad one time. He’s never felt sorry for himself through this whole process. And he keeps a very great outlook on life still.â€

Greg Pratt was at the hospital Tuesday, sitting next to his son as he received chemotherapy. Yes, Greg admitted, his son is built a little differently, but he also has had a strong influence.

“Grant’s been a mature kid since birth,†Greg said. “He’s somebody that works really hard. But I really think Gabe should be taking a lot of the credit because Grant looks up to people like Gabe. Gabe’s been kind of a hero to him.

“Grant wants to wrestle and go to Cornell now. All those things that Gabe achieved, Grant would love to follow in his footsteps.â€

When Dean looked into the camera Saturday night and dedicated his victory to Grant, Greg Pratt said his son’s face lit up over the unexpected gesture. But Grant had an inkling of what Dean might do.

“Yeah, I guess I could say I expected it,†Grant said. “Gabe’s a great kid, and I’ve always looked up to him.â€

Grant is about halfway through the intensive phase of his treatment. Greg Pratt said his son is doing well and the prognosis is good. On Monday, Grant attended school and Greg returned to work. Everyone was buzzing with excitement.

“The whole town’s talking about Gabe and his success and the shout-out he gave to Grant,†Greg said. “Grant went to school for a few hours Monday, but then we’ve been at the hospital since, so we haven’t had a lot of chance to interact or mingle. But I know Grant’s really proud of Gabe.â€

In fact, Grant will get to say that for himself next week, when Dean comes home for spring break. Dean said he would give the wrestling shoes he wore in the final to Grant. Who knows? Maybe they’ll come in handy one day when Grant wears them to wrestle for Cornell.

Contact Carlos Monarrez:[email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @cmonarrez.

RMC was on to something...

Archer wrestling coach Tom Beuglas hired at Buford

By Will Hammock

[email protected]

http://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/schools/archer/archer-wrestling-coach-tom-beuglas-hired-at-buford/article_99691323-a978-57ce-aad5-90710aee9589.html

After building one of Georgia’s top wrestling dynasties at Archer, head coach Tom Beuglas is on the move.

Beuglas has accepted the head wrestling coach position at Buford, taking over a program that has become more successful in recent years. He leaves behind an Archer team that just won its fourth straight traditional and duals state championship and hasn’t lost a match since January 2012 — a current streak of 96 straight dual meet wins.

His goal now is constructing a similar power at Buford, though he has a better base than he did when he became Archer’s first wrestling coach in 2009 — he only had one wrestler who had competed before at the time. Buford sent a school-record 10 wrestlers to the Class AAAA traditional meet this season, finished as runner-up at state duals and swept the Region 8-AAAA traditional and duals championships.

“Dr. Banks Bitterman (Buford’s principal) and I are good friends,†Beuglas said of the Buford job and Bitterman, who was head wrestling coach at Brookwood in the past. “He has been trying to get me to come to Buford for several years now, but with the tremendous talent and success we were having at Archer, there was no way I could leave this senior group (Chris Diaz, Thomas Bullard, Daniel Bullard, Jacob Lill and Vinny Artigues), all who had national rankings, and were multiple state place-winners or state champions. Dr. Bitterman does a great job running the school and they are outstanding in academics, athletics, discipline and the facilities are incredible.

“Their class sizes are small, and their school system pays teachers and coaches really well. I will have the opportunity to coach and move into an administrative role in the upcoming years, and I look forward to working for Dr. Bitterman. They are extremely successful in every sport up there, so I see no reason why wrestling cannot be as well. I think the potential there is tremendous. All of the teachers that I spoke to said it is a great place to work, and the Board and Dr. (Geye) Hamby have an excellent reputation as well. The community is very supportive and the school culture is great there.â€

Beuglas has been a successful coach dating back to his 16 years at Parkview (1993-2009) with Dennis Stromie. He coached the Panthers to state titles in 2004 and 2006 before moving to Archer and upping his overall dual and traditional state title count to 12. He also was Gwinnett’s coach of the year in 2011 and from 2013-16.

He has won 17 region and 11 Gwinnett County titles, boasting 28 individual state champions, including two four-time champs, and four national champions. His career dual record is 404-50.

His greatest successes have come in building his current program, which was tough to leave.

“Archer has 11 starters coming back next year, including five state-place winners, including finalists Quinn Miller and Gabriel Lee, so they will be very good again and contend for another state championship,†said Beuglas, a Stone Mountain native who won a 1988 individual state title at Redan. “I have no doubt the administration at Archer wants to see the program continue to thrive, as we have been the only program winning state titles for the school. I am very proud of what we have been able to accomplish at Archer. We have some great parents, and I love the guys on the team, and principal Ken Johnson, AD Tim Watkins and head football coach Andy Dyer have all been great to me.

“I just felt like this was a new challenge and a great opportunity for me and my family. I plan on finishing my career at Buford.â€

My youngest daughter is at Buford and in 9th grade......she's the girls starting lacrosse goalie.

Some may remember that Dr. Bitterman, Banks, was also the wrestling coach at Brookwood High School a few years ago. He and Beuglas are both great people.  Dr. Bitterman has a done a fantastic job at Buford with academics and athletics.  The school motto is Academics, Athletics, and Arts Excellence.  Buford school district is now the #1 school district in Ga. Last year the school competed for 9 state championships.  Notable wrestlers......Chip Ness..now at North Carolina.

I can't wait to see what we'll have!!  

Edited by RMC

Fuller, Hicks and Sammy Evans gets more well deserved recognition....

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/bear-wrestlers-earnall-american-status,31148

Bear wrestlers earn All-American status

Pic

Bradley Central wrestlers T.J. Hicks, left, and Knox Fuller, right, traveled to Indiana, Pa., to participate in the FloNationals wrestling tournament where both Bears were named All-American. Hicks finished with a 6-1 record while Fuller ended with a 6-2 mark. With them is Tommy Evans of Alcoa High School.

PHOTO

Posted Thursday, March 31, 2016 11:31 am

Staff Reports

A pair of Bradley Central state champ wrestlers recently added All-American to their pedigree.

TJ Hicks and Knox Fuller traveled to Indiana, Pa., over the weekend to participate in the FloNationals event.

“This is a big deal in the wrestling world,†declared Bradley head coach Ben Smith, whose Bears captured both the TSSAA State Traditional and Duals championships this year. “This tournament is no joke. It is a very prestigious event.

“I’m extremely proud of TJ Hicks finishing third at 106-pounds and Knox Fuller taking fifth at 126 pounds.,†their prep coach added.

Hicks went undefeated this past season, winning 36 of his 42 victories along the way of pins. A 2015 state champion at 106 pounds, the top-ranked junior dominated the 113-pound bracket in February to claim this year’s 113-pound crown to help lead the Bears to the 23rd and 24th state team titles in the program's history.

Hicks, who began the tournament unseeded, finished his Flo debut with a 6-1 record (4 pins, 1 major decision, 1 decision) and had wins over the No. 2, No. 4, No. 7, and No. 12 seeded wrestlers in his bracket. By advancing to the championship semifinals, Hicks became the first wrestler ever from Tennessee to medal at the FloNationals.

A three-time state champ, Fuller claimed the 138-pound TSSAA title this past season, to go along with his 126-pound crown from 2015 and the 2014 120-pound state title. The junior earned All-American status as a freshman with a sixth-place finish at the NHSCA in Virginia Beach, Va.

Knox, who was also unseeded, finished his Flo debut with a 6-2 record (2 pins, 1 technical fall, 1 major decision and 2 decisions) and had wins over the third-, 10th- and 12th-seeded wrestlers in his bracket.

“These guys were very impressive in the tournament,â€â€ˆCoach Smith praised. “They represented themselves and our Bradley Central program very well on a national level.â€

Hicks and Fuller, along with five other Bear wrestlers, will be back in action this weekend at the NHSCA Nationals in Virginia Beach.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2016/apr/01/four-arewrestlers-earn-all-americhonors/358181/

Pic

Four Chattanooga area wrestlers earn All-American honors

April 1st, 2016by Staff Reportsin Sports - PrepsRead Time: 2 mins.

Pic

Soddy-Daisy 182-pounder Ty Boeck takes down Bradley Central's Kevin Gentry during a match this past season. Boeck's showing at the Lee Pamaluk National Duals in Des Moines, Iowa, earned All-America status, as did Rhea County 160-pounder Jay Graham. Bradley Central teammates T.J. Hicks (106) and Knox Fuller (126) were All-Americans at the FloNationals in Indiana, Pa.

Photo by Tim Barber /Times Free Press.

Four prep wrestlers from the Chattanooga area recently gained All-America status based on their results at national tournaments.

Bradley Central's T.J. Hicks placed third and teammate Knox Fuller was fifth in the FloNationals in Indiana, Pa., while Soddy-Daisy's Ty Boeck and Rhea County's Jay Graham were recognized at the Lee Pamulak National Duals in Des Moines, Iowa.

Both Bradley wrestlers entered the tournament unseeded. Wrestling at 106 pounds, Hicks beat the No. 2, No. 4, No. 7 and No. 12 seeds and became the first Tennessee wrestler to medal at the FloNationals.

Fuller, who won a TSSAA state title this past season as a junior, knocked off the No. 3, No. 10 and No. 12 seeds in his 126-pound bracket in Pennsylvania as he finished with four pins and a major decision while going 6-2 .

In order to gain All-America status in the Pamulak duals, wrestlers had to win at least five matches, and Boeck (182) and Graham (160) each went 5-3.

They helped Team Tennessee to a 4-1 record on the first day, which put them in the elite Gold Division against two Iowa teams and a team from Illinois.

Edited by Sommers

Will the latest SE Dynasty continue with understudy Jannett...

http://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/sports/archer-taps-assistant-jannett-as-its-new-head-wrestling-coach/article_cb98cad6-ec0a-5742-8ccc-8a447621afdf.html

Archer taps assistant Jannett as its new head wrestling coach

By David Friedlander

[email protected]

Updated 23 hrs ago 

Archer coaches Keith Jannett (left) and Tom Beuglas (right) shout instructions during a 120-pound match at this year’s Class AAAAAA state duals at the Macon Centreplex. Jannett has been hired to replace Beuglas as the Tigers’ head coach. (Photo: Kyle Hess)

Pic

Archer coach Keith Jannett (front) reacts after Gabe Lee defeated North Forsyth’s Andy Leggett in the Class AAAAAA state duals’ 170-pound match this year at the Macon Centreplex. Jannett has been named the Tigers’ head coach to replace Tom Beuglas. (Photo: Kyle Hess)

It didn’t take Archer athletics director Tim Watkins long to find a successor for Tom Beuglas as head of the school’s wrestling program, nor did he have to look far.

Watkins confirmed Thursday that assistant coach Keith Jannett will be promoted to head coach just days after Beuglas announced his resignation to take the head coaching job at Buford.

Like Beuglas, the 40-year-old Jannett has been with the Archer’s program ever since the school opened, and has played a major role in helping the Tigers build into a powerhouse program, including sweeping the Class AAAAAA state duals and traditional tournaments for the past four seasons.

“Keith has been here the whole time and he’s done a great job for us,†Watkins said in a statement released Thursday. “He’s been a big part of our success in the first place and he’s ready to be a head coach.â€

Jannett knows as well as anyone he steps into a situation with very high expectations, though like Watkins, he is confident his own experience will help him and the Tigers continue to meet those expectations.

After all, he’s learned under the tutelage of some of the top coaches in Gwinnett County, and Georgia.

In addition to wrestling for current Wesleyan coach Dennis Stromie while attending Parkview High School, from which he graduated in 1993, Jannett also coached under both Stromie and Beuglas at Parkview for eight seasons before joining Archer’s staff when the school opened in 2011.

“Coach Beuglas and I still go back and look at what Coach Stromie would do (in certain situations),†Jannett said. “How we treat the kids, how we run the program in terms of keeping the parents involved, seeking out the best competition. Coach Stromie and Coach Beuglas have not only been great mentors for me, they’ve also been great friends.â€

Jannett says he intends to use the lessons he learned from two of the most successful coaches in Gwinnett history to help keep the Tigers among the county’s, and the state’s, elite programs.

“I figure I’ve got some big shoes to fill,†Jannett said. “Coach Beuglas has obviously done a great job of building the program, but I’m very excited, and I’d like to thank (Archer principal Ken) Johnson and Coach Watkins for entrusting me with the program.

“I’m a big proponent of if it’s not broken, don’t fix it. We’re still going to wrestle top competition. We’re still going to travel out of state for big (regional and national) meets. We’ve already got our summer schedule set up, so our young kids who haven’t wrestled varsity yet will get a taste of that good competition, and it will help us with the transition.â€

Jannett will have to make some adjustments to his varsity line-up next season with the graduation of several strong seniors, including reigning state champions Daniel Bullard, Thomas Bullard and Chris Diaz, as well as nationally-ranked wrestlers Vinny Artigues and Jacob Lill.

However, the cupboard won’t exactly be bare, as the Tigers welcome back several top wrestlers, including state runners-up Quinn Miller and Gabriel Lee, plus state placers Gavin Smith, Logan Smith and Chase Degrenier.

“We lost five nationally-ranked wrestlers, and that’s pretty tough,†Jannett said. “But we’ve got five state placers back, and we’ve got a bunch of young kids who have put in a lot of work to try to step up to the Archer tradition.â€

File:

Career record: N/A

Education: Graduated from Parkview High School in 1993; graduated from Georgia State University in ’98

Background: Wrestled for head coach Dennis Stromie and then assistant coach Tom Beuglas at Parkview; high school coaching experience came as an assistant at Parkview from 2001-09, at Wesleyan from 2009-11 and Archer from 2011-present. Has been on staff for programs which have won a total of 12 state traditional and duals championships, as well as several other top-four finishes in both meets

Family: Wife Leeann; daughters Madison, 14, and Kylee, 13, and son Noah, 12

In case anyone missed it, PA doing okay,,, unfortunately Bullard was hurt and didn't compete in this year's Dapper Dan...

http://wrestlingclassic.com/

USA All-Stars 25 PA All-Stars 20 

182 - Greg Bulsak, South Park dec. Keegan Moore, Jackson County Central, MN, 13-8

195 - Samuel Colbray, Hermiston, OR dec. Jake Jakobsen, Stroudsburg, 6-4

220 - Matt Stencel, Oregon Clay, OH dec. Jacob Robb, Armstrong, 8-5

285 - Shawn Streck, Merrillville, IN dec. Jacob Beistel, Southmoreland, 8-4

113 - Danny Vega, Ironwood Ridge, AZ major dec. Gage Curry, North Hills, 15-6

120 - Tyshawn White, Central Dauphin dec. Tyler Warner, Claymont, OH, 10-6

126 - Luke Karam, Bethlehem Catholic dec. Kyle Norstrem, Brandon, FL, 3-0

132 - Luke Pletcher, Latrobe tech. fall Owen Doster, New Haven, IN, 23-8, 4:12

138 - * Mitchell McKee, Albertville, MN pinned George Phillippi, Derry, 3:46

145 - Mike Carr South Fayette dec Hunter Marko Amery, WI, 1-0

152 - * Hayden Hidlay Mifflin County dec Griffin Parriott New Prague, MN, 3-1 sv 0:57

160 - Drew Hughes, Lowell, IN dec Jake Wentzel South Park, 6-0

170 - Mark Hall II Apple Valley, MN dec. Austin Bell Belle Vernon 8-4

* Outstanding Wrestlers

Turning point award - Drew Hughes, Lowell, IN

Note:

132 Chad Red, Jr. New Palestine, IN.  Did not make weight

160 Thomas Bullard Archer, GA Was injured prior to match

WPIAL All-Stars 27 Indiana 18

113 - Aaron Burkett, Chestnut Ridge dec. Geoffrey Davis, Fort Wayne Wayne, IN, 2-0 SV

120 - * Ethan McCoy, Latrobe dec. Drew Hildebrandt, Penn, IN, 7-4

126 - Chris Eddins, Greensburg Salem dec. Gaige Torres, Portage, IN, 6-3

132 - Mike Heinl, Shaler dec. Owen Doster, New Haven, IN, 6-4

138 - Shaun Wilson, Waynesburg dec. Evan Eldred, Westfield, IN, 8-4

145 - Damon Greenwald, Burrell dec. Jordan Vaughn, Franklin Central, IN, 5-4

152 - Steven Lawrence, Portage, IN, pinned Derek Verkleeren, Belle Vernon, 4:29

160 - Mitch Hartman, Belle Vernon dec. Cael McCormick Yorktown 2-1

170 - * Drew Hughes, Lowell, IN pinned Anthony Welsh, Beth-Center, 1:03

182 - Blake Rypel, Cathedral, IN, dec. Milton Kobaly, Belle Vernon, 10-5

195 - Jake Kleimola, Lake Central, IN, dec. Drew Phipps, Norwin, 4-3

220 - Mike McAleavey, Peters Township dec. Sam Hipple, Carmel, IN, 2-1

285 - Hayden Rice, Norwin dec. Sean Galligar, Columbia East, IN, 2-1

* Outstanding Wrestlers

Savannah 285 All Star heading to Tennessee...

JEREMY WILSON (285), Islands, Sr., 50-9

Wilson, also a standout lineman with the Shark football team, He was third in the Area tournament, fifth at sectionals and became the first Islands wrestler to medal at state with a fifth place finish. He had a career record of 141-39 and plans to wrestle at King University.

http://m.savannahnow.com/sports/2016-04-05/all-greater-savannah-wrestling-team#

Congrats to Sioredas...

http://www.ksby.com/story/31651720/cal-poly-names-jon-sioredas-as-head-wrestling-coach

Cal Poly Names Jon Sioredas as Head Wrestling Coach

Posted: Apr 05, 2016 7:43 PM CDTUpdated: Apr 05, 2016 7:43 PM CDT

SAN?LUIS?OBISPO, Calif. -- Jon Sioredas, head wrestling coach at Grand Canyon the last two seasons, has been named to the same position at Cal Poly.

The announcement was made Tuesday by Mustang Director of Athletics Don Oberhelman. Sioredas replaces Brendan Buckley, Cal Poly’s head coach the last five seasons who resigned last month in order to accept a position as executive director of Beat the Streets Wrestling, New York City.

“I am honored and excited to lead a program with such rich tradition,�Sioredas said. “I would especially like to thank Don Oberhelman and the Cal Poly Athletic Department for giving me this opportunity.

"Our expectations at Cal Poly are simple: to graduate with a meaningful degree, have a reputation of excellence on campus and in the community, and to produce NCAA All-Americans and national champions,†Sioredas added.

Sioredas (suh-REE-duss) brings to Cal Poly an extensive background of collegiate coaching experience on top of his All-American wrestling days at Tennessee at Chattanooga.

He guided Grand Canyon to five dual meet wins in his second season (2015-16), including victories over Campbell, Cornell and The Citadel. Also that year, Sioredas coached three All-Americans at the National Collegiate Open.

Sioredas was an assistant coach at Chattanooga for two seasons. UTC finished the 2013-14 dual season ranked in the national top 25, at one point ranking as high as No. 19. The Mocs also captured the regular-season conference title, the conference tournament title, and qualified five for the NCAA tournament in Oklahoma City, with two seeded in the top 10.

Prior to his two seasons in Chattanooga, Sioredas spent six seasons as an assistant coach at Old Dominion. He helped guide the Monarchs to the top 25 in dual meet rankings four of his six years, with four All-Americans and an NCAA finalist. ODU also had 10 NWCA All-Academic honors, as well as being named top 10 in the nation in grade-point average during his tenure.

During his 10 years of coaching -- two as a head coach and eight as an assistant -- Sioredas has coached five top-25 teams, one NCAA?Division I national finalist, four NCAA?All-Americans, 38 national qualifiers, 12 Academic All-Americans and helped with six top-20 recruiting classes.

An All-American while competing at Chattanooga, Sioredas finished fifth in the 165-pound weight class in the 2005 NCAA Division I Championships. He was a two-time Southern Conference Champion and 2005 SoCon Wrestler of the Year and Tournament MVP.

Sioredas, recently inducted into the Tennessee at Chattanooga Athletics Hall of Fame, graduated from UTC in 2005 with a degree in sociology and anthropology. He earned his master's degree in business administration from Nova Southeastern University in Davie, Florida, in 2009.

A native of Chesapeake, Va., and a 2000 Great Bridge High School graduate, Sioredas was a Virginia state champion, All-American and national champion. He amassed a 181-13 career prep record, becoming the fourth winningest wrestler in Virginia high school history.

Sioredas and his wife, Michele, have a son, Braden.

-------------------------------

In other news....

Tennessee has another collegiate athlete in the Olympic Trials...

http://www.njherald.com/article/20160406/ARTICLE/304069996

Olympic Trials

Pic

Photo by Robert Foster/King University — Newton native Ashley Iliff will be competing at the U.S. Olympic Trials on Sunday after putting together a historic college career for King University in Bristol, Tenn., where she finished as a four-time WomenÕs College Wrestling Association All-American.

By Anthony Spaulding New Jersey Herald

Posted: Apr. 6, 2016 12:01 am

Editor's Note: This is the first of a three-part feature series on the area's three wrestlers, Newton's Ashley Iliff, Lake Hopatcong's Dan Vallimont and Hopatcong's Zach Rey, who will compete in the U.S. Olympic Trials on Saturday and Sunday.

Ashley Iliff has wrestled for 16 years.

This year, the 22-year-old Newton, NJ native has had the best year of her career and it has led her to an opportunity of a lifetime.

Iliff will be competing at the U.S. Olympic Trials on Sunday after putting together a historic college career at King University in Bristol, Tenn., where she finished as a four-time Women's College Wrestling Association All-American.

"I'm really excited," Iliff said in a recent phone interview from Tennessee. "It's just an honor to have the opportunity to go. When I was little, I thought of it as a dream, but I never thought I would be able to be there and compete on that level. It's amazing."

Iliff will be Sussex County's first woman to compete at the Olympic Trials, where she will wrestle at 48 kilograms (105.5 pounds). This first is one of many historic accomplishments she has had over her career.

Iliff had a eye-opening type of high school career for Newton from 2008-12, as she became the first girl to wrestle for the Braves for all four years. Iliff, who was only the third girl to ever wrestle for the Braves, started three seasons for them while helping them win two North 1, Group 1 titles and reach the Group 1 final twice.

Individually, she won four USA New Jersey State Girls Wrestling championships and also competed in the District 3 Tournament twice. She finished her career with a 37-43 record, but went 17-14 as a junior and 13-9 as a senior. As a junior, she earned a spot on the ASICS Girls High School All-American second team.

When she took the mat for King University, Iliff kept the feats coming.

As a freshman, she took sixth at the WCWA National Championships at 101 pounds while posting an 11-7 record.

The next year, Iliff went 11-7 again and earned her second straight All-American honor by placing fifth at 101. In addition, she assisted the Tornado to their first WCWA national crown.

As a junior, Iliff joined an elusive group at King, as she became the eighth three-time WCWA All-American for the program after placing sixth at 109. She also helped the team repeat as national champs for the first time in program history.

This past season, Iliff became only the fifth King woman's wrestler to become a four-time All-American by placing fourth at 101. In that tournament, where she helped King win a third straight national team title, Iliff had reached the semifinals of the tournament, but lost to Sarah Allen, of The University of the Cumberlands, by a 12-6 decision in controversial fashion.

In that match, Iliff and Allen were tied at 6 before Iliff had taken down Allen and put her on her back for two back points.

However, the referee in the match mixed up the two girls and awarded Allen the takedown and two backs instead.

Iliff and King head coach Jason Moorman challenged the call by going to a video replay review, but the video did not have that sequence, forcing the referees to leave the call as it stood.

However, Iliff was still thrilled with the way her college career ended, considering her fourth gave her a spot for the Trials.

"I knew this was going to be my best year and my chance at a national title," Iliff said. "I worked really hard all year and cut a lot of weight to get to 101 for the last time. It was a little bit of a bummer that they lost the video feed (of my match) and I couldn't argue the call.

"It was hard to come back from that, but I was happy I could become a four-time All-American, do it for my team and secure a spot for the Trials," Iliff continued. "It wasn't an upsetting day. It was a happy day because my career didn't end yet."

Now that she has this opportunity, Iliff will be looking to win the nation's biggest tournament so she can be Team USA's representative for the Summer Olympics in Rio de Janiero.

She will have to try to do this against a loaded field that features 2012 Olympic bronze medalist Clarissa Chun, of the Sunkist Kids, and Alyssa Lampe, of the Sunkist, who boasts two past World bronze medals. The field also has two of her teammates, Marina and Regina Doi, who placed first and fifth at 101 at WCWA Nationals this year.

But, Iliff is not going to back down from these women in this tournament because of her history of past success and her approach to the sport, according to Newton High head coach Eric Bollette.

"She is a tremendously hard-working student athlete who has always had clearly defined goals," Bollette said. "I expect her to treat it as she doess every other tournament she competes in, with focus and determination. She will leave it all on the mat and have fun."

When she takes the mat Sunday, Iliff will certainly do whatever it takes to continue her best year yet before she graduates from King, where she is studying athletic training.

"Like anyone else, you want that No. 1 spot," Iliff said. "If this is my last hurrah, I'm going out with a bang. I'm going to give it my all every single match."

Edited by Sommers

Cleveland Banner gets behind the greatest sport once again... Congrats again Bear Nation & Mr Hicks!!

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/bradleys-hicks-battles-tosecond-place-finish-at-thenhsca-junior-nationals,31710

Nationals

Pic

Bradley Central Bears wrestler T.J. Hicks, right, took second place in the 113-pound weight class at the prestigious NHSCA Junior Nationals in Virginia Beach, Va. With Hicks is Bears head coach Ben Smith.

PHOTO

Posted Friday, April 8, 2016 11:42 am

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — A mere five days after earning All-American honors at the FloNationals wrestling tournament, Bradley Central’s T.J. Hicks took second place in the 113-pound weight class at the prestigious NHSCA Junior Nationals in Virginia Beach, Va.

“This is a big deal in the wrestling world. This tournament is no joke, said Bears coach Ben Smith. “All this just five days after finishing as an All-American in the prestigious Flo-Nationals. That’s a tough nine days of top-notch competition.â€

Hicks finished his NHSCA tournament with a 5-1 record. By advancing to the championship finals, he became one of only a handful of Tennessee wrestlers to ever wrestle for the National Championship. Hicks came up just two points shy of the national title, losing 4-2 to Esco Walker of North Carolina in the finals in his impressive run.

Knox Fuller, who was also recently crowned an All-American at FloNationals, competed and finished his NHSCA tournament with a 4-2 record, just a few matches shy of another All-American status.

“Knox had a very impressive body of work at the tournament as well,†said Smith. “A 4-2 record at this tournament — against some of the best wrestlers in the country — is tough to come by, to say the least. I am very proud of both of those guys.â€