District 3A

gcapride

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grace is always gonna have the edge vs these small publics... it's a significant demographic/$$ advantage. The harrimans, rockwoods, etc typically don't have the players most years. Doesn't mean GCA can never be beaten out for the district...but usually they're just a tough out for these small publics. Everything usually has to go the publics way to have a chance to overcome GCA's advantages.

Similarly, GCA facilities just dwarf what the others have to play on... the  roster(s) disparity looks a lot like the facility disparity.

Grace can roll out  4 or 5 pitchers better than most teams #2 guy and many teams #1 guy. The last couple of years Oneida (4a)has had some of the best teams they've EVER had...Grace just wore them out in region play.

Watch out for Greenback! They had one of the best 8th grade classes last year in middle school ball. They could have competed with some high school teams last year. I expect Grace to roll, but the fact of the matter is if your guys aren't/haven't been playing a little more than just school ball then they will struggle as the game is in a heavy shift to the travel ball game. I hate to say it but there seem to be several schools on board with the travel ball and some of the schools are being left behind.

To GCApride - unless an upset occurs, GCA will go to the state tournament again. GCA is a 4-time state tourney participant and the defending champions. Rockwood is coming off an 8 win season. RHS could improve a lot and it would not be noticeable to GCA.

To the other posters, while I agree with you, let's keep on topic. The public/private debate has been discussed ad nauseam, and it was not the purpose of this thread. Let's talk on the field District 3 baseball here.

Watch out for Greenback! They had one of the best 8th grade classes last year in middle school ball. They could have competed with some high school teams last year. I expect Grace to roll, but the fact of the matter is if your guys aren't/haven't been playing a little more than just school ball then they will struggle as the game is in a heavy shift to the travel ball game. I hate to say it but there seem to be several schools on board with the travel ball and some of the schools are being left behind.

yep, agreed on the travel ball. Most of the smaller rurals have very few, if any travel kids, and it shows come game time. They really have trouble competing on the baseball field when they play a team with 5 or 6 players with good travel experience.

I saw harriman... they're ok at best.  My guess they'll be about .500 in district. GBack did have a good group of 8th graders, but most 9th graders don't stack up against a team of 1tth and 12 graders... so it may take them a year or two to challenge in 3a. Did they have enough upper classmen returning to keep most of the freshmen off the field? Rockwood was bad last year...they return most everyone, I think....not sure if that's good or bad for them. Maybe bad...?!

yep, agreed on the travel ball. Most of the smaller rurals have very few, if any travel kids, and it shows come game time. They really have trouble competing on the baseball field when they play a team with 5 or 6 players with good travel experience.

I saw harriman... they're ok at best. My guess they'll be about .500 in district. GBack did have a good group of 8th graders, but most 9th graders don't stack up against a team of 1tth and 12 graders... so it may take them a year or two to challenge in 3a. Did they have enough upper classmen returning to keep most of the freshmen off the field? Rockwood was bad last year...they return most everyone, I think....not sure if that's good or bad for them. Maybe bad...?!

looking at scores Greenback opened their season with Grace and kept it close. That group of Freshman was special, I'm telling you. Majority could have walked right in and competed at a high level. Everything from the talent to the body sizes they were ready. Greenback has some upperclassman studs too. Harriman will continue to struggle until we jump on board with the travel movement. There are two or three on the team that have played travel but even their travel teams aren't the top tier teams like some of the kids are playing at other schools. I knew Rockwood wasn't very good last year and didn't read much into everyone returning. I expect Grace to take first and the rest is really up for grabs. Edited by bluedevil6913

To GCApride - unless an upset occurs, GCA will go to the state tournament again. GCA is a 4-time state tourney participant and the defending champions. Rockwood is coming off an 8 win season. RHS could improve a lot and it would not be noticeable to GCA.

To the other posters, while I agree with you, let's keep on topic. The public/private debate has been discussed ad nauseam, and it was not the purpose of this thread. Let's talk on the field District 3 baseball here.

I wasn't really shooting for the public/private debate.. just stating the obvious that GCA is in a position where most years, most teams they play in 3a/4a (region)

just can't compete with them right now on most days. GCA is just usually that far ahead of them,particularly  in baseball . A really good team might get them at the state tourney, but very doubtful before that.

I've been watching Greenback too. Might not be this year, but they will be tough to handle for the next couple of years. Probably should've made this a District 3 & 4A thread. How does Coalfield look?

The fact of the matter is, no matter how fair or unfair in may or may not be, Grace is heads and shoulders better than everyone in District 3 (and would safely say Region 2) and no one will be able to compete with them in a double elimination format.

They will waltz to state. Region 1 will come down to North Greene, South Greene, and Unaka. North Greene has to be the favorite till they are knocked off, South Greene has experience, and Unaka seems to be on the upswing, but half their 16 man roster are freshmen, so you know there will be a maturing process that will have to happen before they can be consistent.

The fact of the matter is, no matter how fair or unfair in may or may not be, Grace is heads and shoulders better than everyone in District 3 (and would safely say Region 2) and no one will be able to compete with them in a double elimination format.

They will waltz to state. Region 1 will come down to North Greene, South Greene, and Unaka. North Greene has to be the favorite till they are knocked off, South Greene has experience, and Unaka seems to be on the upswing, but half their 16 man roster are freshmen, so you know there will be a maturing process that will have to happen before they can be consistent.

You sure about the top 3 in region 1. We've had some misfortune and lost 2 starters in the off season but we'll still be able to field a fairly solid team. Pitching or lack of is the key for us. Its early so guess we'll just have to wait and see. And yes Grace  will be head and shoulders above the rest of us small rural schools.