Random....but not really

TonyG

I know this is kinda off topic but it is related to HS bball. Seeing that Lawson re-entered the draft, the speculation is that Tubby Smith doesn't care for the father son(s) duo or the thought of using the kids as leverage vying for a coaching staff position. Im curious as to what are the chances Pastner hires Lawson again, in a lesser role(Dir. of player pers.), and sways the lawson family to ATL for the next two boys and maybe a KJ transfer? Chandler would definitely be a big player for him especially if he continues to ascend. 

I know this is kinda off topic but it is related to HS bball. Seeing that Lawson re-entered the draft, the speculation is that Tubby Smith doesn't care for the father son(s) duo or the thought of using the kids as leverage vying for a coaching staff position. Im curious as to what are the chances Pastner hires Lawson again, in a lesser role(Dir. of player pers.), and sways the lawson family to ATL for the next two boys and maybe a KJ transfer? Chandler would definitely be a big player for him especially if he continues to ascend. 

I've never subscribed to the notion of hiring someone to recruit a player. I know that it is done all of the time but it isn't my cup of tea. Heck, John Calipari recruited a friend AND hired a dad to get Wagner back in the day. However, we already knew that coach Smith doesn't play those types of games nor does he give special favors to AAU coaches to get players ... It's probably the biggest reason as to why he doesn't get elite players. He doesn't get down in the muck and mire that has become AAU basketball and the recruiting paradigm. He's going to lose some recruits because of that. Because there are plenty of college coaches out there who will do what Coach Smith won't.

That being stated. He's going to run a clean program and he can coach his tail off. I'm glad Memphis hired him. That hire caught ALL of the talking heads off-guard. His Achilles heel is recruiting. He may or may not keep Diedrick. He may or may not keep KJ. As a result, he may never get Chandler or potentially Johnathan because of his stance on recruiting. I don't have a problem with that at all. If Pastner hires Keelon Lawson and his boys follow then so be it. I wish them happy hunting and I throw my support behind coach Smith. If the Lawson family leaves Memphis and goes to Atlanta there will be no ill will from me towards them nor towards coach Smith. It is what it is. I respect coach Smith for the type of program he wishes to run and how he goes about obtaining his players. I respect Keelon Lawson for attempting to better the situation of his family if the opportunity is present. There are way to many talented basketball players in Memphis and the surrounding area to be worried about what's going to happen with the Lawson boys.

I've never subscribed to the notion of hiring someone to recruit a player. I know that it is done all of the time but it isn't my cup of tea. Heck, John Calipari recruited a friend AND hired a dad to get Wagner back in the day. However, we already knew that coach Smith doesn't play those types of games nor does he give special favors to AAU coaches to get players ... It's probably the biggest reason as to why he doesn't get elite players. He doesn't get down in the muck and mire that has become AAU basketball and the recruiting paradigm. He's going to lose some recruits because of that. Because there are plenty of college coaches out there who will do what Coach Smith won't.

That being stated. He's going to run a clean program and he can coach his tail off. I'm glad Memphis hired him. That hire caught ALL of the talking heads off-guard. His Achilles heel is recruiting. He may or may not keep Diedrick. He may or may not keep KJ. As a result, he may never get Chandler or potentially Johnathan because of his stance on recruiting. I don't have a problem with that at all. If Pastner hires Keelon Lawson and his boys follow then so be it. I wish them happy hunting and I throw my support behind coach Smith. If the Lawson family leaves Memphis and goes to Atlanta there will be no ill will from me towards them nor towards coach Smith. It is what it is. I respect coach Smith for the type of program he wishes to run and how he goes about obtaining his players. I respect Keelon Lawson for attempting to better the situation of his family if the opportunity is present. There are way to many talented basketball players in Memphis and the surrounding area to be worried about what's going to happen with the Lawson boys.

Well put kwc, what good is there to have talent if the coach never develops it. I'm most certain that many coaches could've had success beyond the round of 32 with our 2011-2013 roster! I understand its the game but I kinda hate the whole idea of extortion for players.

Edited by TonyG