7AAA Week 7 - Pennant Race at a Glance

davidlimbaugh

This is 100% wrong.

So we do agree it is a 2 base error. So I will assume if the batter has occupied 1st before the ball goes out of play that would put him on 3rd base if it is a 2 base error. It is under the umpires judgement whether he has occupied the bag or not. I have also saw the exact same thing happen and the exact same result happened. There must be 2 umpires and myself that can not read the rule book correctly. So therefore that is not 100% wrong.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rule is a two base error from the time of the pitch so when the pitch was thrown there was a runner on first so if this had been ruled correctly he would be put on third and the batter would be put on second but it was ruled incorrectly by the umpire in this case and the runner on first was allowed to score therefore that makes your first post 100% wrong  

The rule is a two base error from the time of the pitch so when the pitch was thrown there was a runner on first so if this had been ruled correctly he would be put on third and the batter would be put on second but it was ruled incorrectly by the umpire in this case and the runner on first was allowed to score therefore that makes your first post 100% wrong

I do agree with what you are saying but you need to read further in that rule. The next line states that if all runners, including the batter-runner, have advanced at least one base when an infielder makes a wild throw on the first play after the pitch, the award shall be governed by the position of the runners when the wild throw was made. The thing we are discussing all boils down to the umpires judgement on when the throw happens. This obviously does not make this 100% wrong when it is a judgement call. It is at least a 50% chance it is right because it is a judgement call that is in the rule book.

So the player threw the ball after the batter had reached first?... come on bro.  No chance. 

But even if that is the "judgement call" that was made we all would assume there would be some discussion with crew and maybe a brief explanation of the call to either coach.  Neither happened.

Bad rule interpretation, poor and rushed execution, poor cover up attempt, oh well... Turn the page

I am pretty sure David L will post the bracket after the coaches meeting this week.

If the tournament is like last year:

Thurs:

1st round games at higher seed: #7 Lav @ #2 Blk; #6Smyrna @ #3 SC; #5Riverdale @ #4Oakland

Fri:

Lowest two seeds that lost on Thursday in Loser Bracket game (game may not be played at Siegel)

at Siegel

Lowest seed winner vs. Siegel

Highest seeded winners play.

Sat:

Losers bracket games, down to four teams after Saturday (3 teams eliminated)

Mon:

Winners bracket final

Loser bracket game (4th team eliminated)

Tues:

Loser bracket final (5th team eliminated)

Wed:

Championship game (+ if necessary)

Siegel will play in the Regionals as the regular season champ. The tournament winner (runner up if Siegel wins the tournament) also makes the Regionals.

Tournament champion plays at home vs. D8 runnerup in Regional semifinals.

That's still the most brutal losers bracket I've ever seen. Whew.

Columbia had the exact same thing happen to them and the exact same result happened. The runner on first scored. Both umpires talked it over and that was the result. They lost that game also because of that play. So maybe you are 100% wrong in saying it is not right. So if that rule is so black and white why has it cost 2 teams a game.

I am pretty sure David L will post the bracket after the coaches meeting this week.

If the tournament is like last year:

Thurs:

1st round games at higher seed: #7 Lav @ #2 Blk; #6Smyrna @ #3 SC; #5Riverdale @ #4Oakland

Fri:

Lowest two seeds that lost on Thursday in Loser Bracket game (game may not be played at Siegel)

at Siegel

Lowest seed winner vs. Siegel

Highest seeded winners play.

Sat:

Losers bracket games, down to four teams after Saturday (3 teams eliminated)

Mon:

Winners bracket final

Loser bracket game (4th team eliminated)

Tues:

Loser bracket final (5th team eliminated)

Wed:

Championship game (+ if necessary)

Siegel will play in the Regionals as the regular season champ. The tournament winner (runner up if Siegel wins the tournament) also makes the Regionals.

Tournament champion plays at home vs. D8 runnerup in Regional semifinals.

http://www.riverdalewarriors.com/baseball/images/2016/2016-7aaa-district-bracket.pdf

So we do agree it is a 2 base error. So I will assume if the batter has occupied 1st before the ball goes out of play that would put him on 3rd base if it is a 2 base error. It is under the umpires judgement whether he has occupied the bag or not. I have also saw the exact same thing happen and the exact same result happened. There must be 2 umpires and myself that can not read the rule book correctly. So therefore that is not 100% wrong.

No, it is not.   Check out award table posted previously - it is 2 bases from time of PITCH - regardless of where runners are AT.  It is where they were at TIME OF PITCH.  .... 

I will repost:

BASERUNNING AWARDS TABLE:

TWO BASES (batter and runners):

First throw by infielder and ball goes out of play or lodged in or under fence - from time of PITCH 

(i.e. where runners and batter were at when pitcher released the ball from the rubber)

Edited by davidlimbaugh

I do agree with what you are saying but you need to read further in that rule. The next line states that if all runners, including the batter-runner, have advanced at least one base when an infielder makes a wild throw on the first play after the pitch, the award shall be governed by the position of the runners when the wild throw was made. The thing we are discussing all boils down to the umpires judgement on when the throw happens. This obviously does not make this 100% wrong when it is a judgement call. It is at least a 50% chance it is right because it is a judgement call that is in the rule book.

The next line you refer to is if it is the SECOND Play - i.e.  runners on first and second - ground ball to 3B - he tags third - that is FIRST Play - then throws wild to first - that is the SECOND play - that is when the 'next line' you refer to comes into play.   The FIRST bad throw by an infielder that is the FIRST PLAY is 2 bases from TIME OF PITCH....