Michigan/Oakland HS Football camp

The HS talent in Tennessee is getting better by the year, particularly in the rapidly growing midstate. I foresee many college coaches from other areas to begin looking harder at the Nashville area just like they already do Memphis. This will be the norm within 10 years. 

MSU:

I don't know if college coaches are looking harder at Memphis area players then they are Nashville area football players, or any other region of Tennessee for that matter. I do know that the coach at Whitehaven is one of the best in the state at getting his player recruited. I feel confident in saying that Nashville and the surrounding area is just as loaded with talent, if not more, then Memphis.

However, I'm convinced that It's the work that the HC puts into getting their players recruited. It's a full time, year round, 24-7 effort. I honestly believe that most coaches just don't want to put that type of effort into this. It's not an accident that Whitehaven had 14 guys on last year's team sign schollys and it's no accident that currently 8 young men on next year's team have already been offered ... and I think that there are more to come. I know that some years are better then others in this regard. Everybody is not D-1, but those other institutions need players too. Whitehaven will let you know that football is a means to an end.

Whitehaven Football Twitter Feed

Just hit the link to the Whitehaven Twitter feed and just peruse through it. The HC at Whitehaven keeps this page up and running and relevant. Just go through and see how many camps, and motivational quotes, and college coaches, ACT workshops, and etc. that are linked to this page. Is the young man coachable? Does the young man take his academics seriously? How active and full is your team's HUDL page? Does your team have an active and vibrant M A X Preps page? How easy does your coach make it for college coaches to see video of the team? How much work does the HC put into getting his players looked at by college coaches? It makes a difference.

I guess the question that should be asked is this ... "What kind of culture has your football program established in this regard?"

Edited by kwc

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of these camp will be filled with average players. You wont see many 4 or 5 star players participating. They are really a money making pr tool for the college more than anything. Lets face it, you don't see many players in the south that are 4 or 5 star willing to give up the sunny south and go play in the northern tundra. I think UT has the right idea to have one at TSU, after all local recruits seem to be the direction that UT is headed. A lot of people will show up just to see the Harbaugh show.

Most of these camp will be filled with average players. You wont see many 4 or 5 star players participating. They are really a money making pr tool for the college more than anything. Lets face it, you don't see many players in the south that are 4 or 5 star willing to give up the sunny south and go play in the northern tundra. I think UT has the right idea to have one at TSU, after all local recruits seem to be the direction that UT is headed. A lot of people will show up just to see the Harbaugh show.

Michigan just signed 10 kids from SEC/ACC states (One of which is from Independence) so this is more than just a "PR move"

Edited by MidTennFootball

Michigan just signed 10 kids from SEC/ACC states (One of which is from Independence) so this is more than just a "PR move"

But  my point is if Michigan or any other school is interested in a player they already know who he is and many by the time their sophomore year starts. For example, Jack Jones from Oakland was already on the recruiting list for UT when he was a sophomore just like D,Andre Litaker from Riverdale is. The truth is most of the kids that attend these camps would be lucky to make it on a D2 school roster. If it was all about recruiting and exposure then why are they charging the fees they are to these kids?

But my point is if Michigan or any other school is interested in a player they already know who he is and many by the time their sophomore year starts. For example, Jack Jones from Oakland was already on the recruiting list for UT when he was a sophomore just like D,Andre Litaker from Riverdale is. The truth is most of the kids that attend these camps would be lucky to make it on a D2 school roster. If it was all about recruiting and exposure then why are they charging the fees they are to these kids?

While these schools may know who most of these kids are, they want to see them in action before extending a scholarship offer. Unfortunately even in this day and age, kids get overlooked for one reason or another.

Satellite camps give coaching staffs a chance to evaluate kids up close who might have been one of those previously overlooked kids. Not just Power 5 schools, but teams like MTSU as well

Edited by MidTennFootball

Kids in Tn are being noticed more because some Coaches were brave enough to go out of State and beat some GOOD schools on their own fields.

R'dale vs Worthington in Ohio is a prime example. Before the game nothing was said good up north and by quite a few on here that R'dale would get beat.

For those who don't know R'dale SHUT UP everyone from Ohio and on here after the game was played. R'dale EMBARRESSED Worthington-Kilburn. It was so bad they paid the forfeit fee and did not come down south to play us on our field.

Blackman almost did the same in Ky to a top 10 team nationally. Only thing that saved them was some severe Home Cooking by the officials there. For some reason they did not come here for the re-match also.

The televised nationally games here in Rutherford County at the start of the season helps also. I still would like to see Maryville come in here for a game with an invited good team from out of state.

Kids in Tn are being noticed more because some Coaches were brave enough to go out of State and beat some GOOD schools on their own fields.

R'dale vs Worthington in Ohio is a prime example. Before the game nothing was said good up north and by quite a few on here that R'dale would get beat.

For those who don't know R'dale SHUT UP everyone from Ohio and on here after the game was played. R'dale EMBARRESSED Worthington-Kilburn. It was so bad they paid the forfeit fee and did not come down south to play us on our field.

Blackman almost did the same in Ky to a top 10 team nationally. Only thing that saved them was some severe Home Cooking by the officials there. For some reason they did not come here for the re-match also.

The televised nationally games here in Rutherford County at the start of the season helps also. I still would like to see Maryville come in here for a game with an invited good team from out of state.

Better not suggest Maryville play an out of state team. They are very touchy about that.

I was talking to a friend of mines who does recuiting at a college in the south and he was telling me that the midstate players are more intriguing because with the recent track record most of them are paning out to be good/starting football players coming in. He was saying memphis has always had the talent and size but the hardest part with the memphis kids are keeping them focused and in school.

Broke parents that see even a remote possibility of a scholarship for their child will see that they are there. Parents always want better for their children. Even if that means a 'Yankee' education.

Screw  Coach Harbaugh, and screw Michigan. I just don't think they'll be as welcomed here as Harbaugh believes. I just don't see too many open arms flooding the stadium.