HVA Football

GIJoe

GIJoe,

Having seen HVA the past several years, I don't see them taking the next step. As far as I can tell, they will consistently be a decent team that wins between 4-7 games, but I dont seem competing for region championships. Especially in this region. They have decent athletes and a very vanilla offense.

Gov91....I understand your angle, but HV has solid athletic programs from top to bottom and a slew of athletes to support their programs. They will be good this year and every year with some outstanding years mixed in. The reason is the support from parents and others to make sure they offer a good to excellent brand in athletics and the class room. 

Since HVA went 1-9 back in 2009, they have consistently won between 5-7 games. That is pretty good for a new school. So do people think they can take the next step and compete for a region championship in the next few years?

I think their ceiling is similar to Farragut's, especially with the talent pool essentially split between Farragut and HVA. 5-7 wins/year is probably what we'll see for awhile.

Not to be critical of the product they put on the field, but they just don't play a very explosive brand of football, especially for such a large high school. Very similar feel to watching Karns, without the depth issues. They could hit that next level if they could field a couple of "special" skill position players to compliment the large roster that they usually have (like Dorian Eskridge). I've gone to quite a few HVA games the past couple of seasons, and the community just seems to be somewhat ho-hum about football. Part of that probably is a result of it being a relatively new school with limited football success, while they are extremely competitive in other sports (baseball, softball, soccer, track/cc).

I think their ceiling is similar to Farragut's, especially with the talent pool essentially split between Farragut and HVA. 5-7 wins/year is probably what we'll see for awhile.

Not to be critical of the product they put on the field, but they just don't play a very explosive brand of football, especially for such a large high school. Very similar feel to watching Karns, without the depth issues. They could hit that next level if they could field a couple of "special" skill position players to compliment the large roster that they usually have (like Dorian Eskridge). I've gone to quite a few HVA games the past couple of seasons, and the community just seems to be somewhat ho-hum about football. Part of that probably is a result of it being a relatively new school with limited football success, while they are extremely competitive in other sports (baseball, softball, soccer, track/cc).

That's what I think too. They are very vanilla on offense and have a pretty good defense.

Whoever designed the football field had soccer in mind first and then track. Football seems to be and after thought. They turned their home side facing the sun, it takes some good field glasses to see a game there because of the distance to the action, the visitor side is so low you can't see anything unless your on the top row, It's the worst place I've ever seen to get out of after a game and the field looks like cattle had eaten the center of the field up.The only positive thing I can think of about going to a game there is that is a Japanese Restaurant across the street I love to go visit anytime I go there to a game.

• Upvote 1

Whoever designed the football field had soccer in mind first and then track. Football seems to be and after thought. They turned their home side facing the sun, it takes some good field glasses to see a game there because of the distance to the action, the visitor side is so low you can't see anything unless your on the top row, It's the worst place I've ever seen to get out of after a game and the field looks like cattle had eaten the center of the field up.The only positive thing I can think of about going to a game there is that is a Japanese Restaurant across the street I love to go visit anytime I go there to a game.

Totally agree with that take. Fortunately, the turf issue will be resolved soon. The stadium layout is pretty terrible though. Karns has the exact same problem with the glare on the home side too.

And yes, Mikata is fantastic.

I think their ceiling is similar to Farragut's, especially with the talent pool essentially split between Farragut and HVA. 5-7 wins/year is probably what we'll see for awhile.

Not to be critical of the product they put on the field, but they just don't play a very explosive brand of football, especially for such a large high school. Very similar feel to watching Karns, without the depth issues. They could hit that next level if they could field a couple of "special" skill position players to compliment the large roster that they usually have (like Dorian Eskridge). I've gone to quite a few HVA games the past couple of seasons, and the community just seems to be somewhat ho-hum about football. Part of that probably is a result of it being a relatively new school with limited football success, while they are extremely competitive in other sports (baseball, softball, soccer, track/cc).

Yep, I agree. I think you have nailed it.