Top AAA teams in 2016-17

SweetScience

Lomax isn't a year older than grade level..I can't say about Moss because I don't know his story even though I've heard rumors but I know about Lomax, he legit..

Lomax and Moss led East to a state semi-final as freshmen. East won the state title last year with Moss and Lomax leading the team as sophomores. It appears to me that when an athlete(s) has experienced success early in their student/athlete amateur careers then they most assuredly will receive more scrutiny as they matriculate the latter portions of their athletic endeavor at that particular level of competition(High school/College). It just comes with the territory, especially for both young men. It's not a common thing for a sophomore to win the accolades that Mr. Lomax won at his stage of development. Usually, sophomores don't win the Gatorade Player of the Year for the entire state in their classification of play, and then in the same year, win the State Tournament MVP. So, from here on out, Mr. Lomax and Mr. Moss will have their games and their lives dissected, quartered, and put on display for all to see. That's what happens when you have that kind of success at that stage in your high school career. I hope they both can handle what's coming in that regard.

Edited by kwc

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirby would lose by double digits..not disciplined enough..Desmond is very good but taking 25 shots against East would end up in a 15-20 point loss if not more and Lomax would take him out out the game.  No disrespect to them but just speaking from what I saw Thursday Friday and Saturday and Cheyenne  Whitehaven best chance of beating East was last year, if they couldn't do it with that senior team, I don't see it happening this year either. They not talented enough all around. Only team with a chance is Cordova but losing the big kid hurts bad.

Never meant that Lomax was a older kid in a harmful way. Was just saying that him being 17 you can see it in his build he looks alot more mature than kids in his grade and his body has looked that way even at Lester. I dont know anything about the kid never meant any harm. Kids graduate at 18 all the time yes, but alot of kids graduate at 17 too, and you can tell the difference in builds between the two.

But Moss on the other hand, anybody that has a deep connection with the 2017 and 18 classes will tell you he was held back at some point along the way. I remember him playing with and against the War Eagles back in the day against Chase Hayden, Tyler Harris and Douglas back when chase was thought to be the next best thing out of the city. Not even gonna speak on Tyler Harris. But parents do it all the time now days, whatever it takes i guess as long as the kids pan out well. 

Edited by TonyG

Kirby would lose by double digits..not disciplined enough..Desmond is very good but taking 25 shots against East would end up in a 15-20 point loss if not more and Lomax would take him out out the game.  No disrespect to them but just speaking from what I saw Thursday Friday and Saturday and Cheyenne  Whitehaven best chance of beating East was last year, if they couldn't do it with that senior team, I don't see it happening this year either. They not talented enough all around. Only team with a chance is Cordova but losing the big kid hurts bad.

Losing Dupree might hurt their chances but I think Harris jacking up shots will hurt them more. You wont beat East in a running game, it has to be done in the halfcourt. The halfcourt was the only reason CBHS surprised many by hanging on with East for that long, bc we all know that if it was a trackmeet East would've won by 30. Which is why I say Whitehaven could do it if East isn't having their best night, bc Phillips strives in the half court game and playing defense. I don't exactly think you need freakish size to beat East, I think you have to be able to rebound/box out well and slow the game down and hope it will propel them into having an off night. They thrive in the break, they are not the best shooting team. 

Whitehaven doesn't have the guards, particularly Garland  that Brentwood has to be able to do that against East. No one on that team is of that caliber, not close. Brentwood is very very patient and they run they stuff and that's a team that's been together since middle school.

Whitehaven has a good team but they aren't nearly as good as last year and they lost both close but the results were none the less, the same. Harris at Cordova shoots it a lot, he does but he's a great shooter however I agree, he can shoot you out of a game too. Blake I think should have the ball more. That lil dude hooping and to me he the dude that stir they drink not Harris but Harris shoots the 3 and we know how people love the 3. CBHS plays a half court game and his team is comfortable doing, they don't have an athlete outside of Will so they have to play that way but they do it well. What you think, top 3 team in the city Tony?

Whitehaven doesn't have the guards, particularly Garland  that Brentwood has to be able to do that against East. No one on that team is of that caliber, not close. Brentwood is very very patient and they run they stuff and that's a team that's been together since middle school.

Whitehaven has a good team but they aren't nearly as good as last year and they lost both close but the results were none the less, the same. Harris at Cordova shoots it a lot, he does but he's a great shooter however I agree, he can shoot you out of a game too. Blake I think should have the ball more. That lil dude hooping and to me he the dude that stir they drink not Harris but Harris shoots the 3 and we know how people love the 3. CBHS plays a half court game and his team is comfortable doing, they don't have an athlete outside of Will so they have to play that way but they do it well. What you think, top 3 team in the city Tony?

Man I applaud you for mentioning Blake!!! Crazy how Cordova was literally his team until he got in the trouble last year and sat out a semester and came back and people completely forgot about him. The team is at best when Blake is the primary ball handler and he sets others up, tyler could average 20-25 off of spotting up and spacing the floor if Blake still ran the show bc the kid can get to the rim at will!!! Watching them play on Team Thad 2 years ago was unfair against not as quick opponents.

And top 3 in the city as of right now barring injuries or crazy transfers in my opinion regardless of classification is East, Cordova, CBHS in that order. Some may not agree with CBHS but its the system they run that allows you to plug and play. Yes Will is the only athlete they have and is probably the best two way 2017 guard in the area from a college prospect view, but the system allows them to compete against whoever. For instance the Spence kid they have #35 is around 6'5 and can barely touch the rim lol not a athlete at all but he out rebounds and blocks shots of much more gifted opponents all the time.

The only downside I could say about CBHS is that Will's supporting cast would be rattled going into certain environments. Not to make it a race thing, but we all know if they made a trip to Binghampton in January most of the Brother faithful wouldn't be able to get in the door to support them bc that gym fills extremely fast, and not having their crowd would hurt in a hostile environment and it would show by a 10 pt loss for sure against East with a healthy Lomax. Moss feeds off of that crowd and will pull-up from the parking lot and is a more consistent player at home compared to on the road. CBHS plays ball at home with their crowd, which is why i give Cordova the edge over them bc I've seen the wolves go into places like Bartlett and Bolton and win games without much support and I don't feel that Cordova has much of a home court advantage anyway compared to some. If you never been to a East or CBHS Friday night home game definitely check it out. Both are two completely different environments but those 3s from Moss and dunks from Douglas are electric at home and can be felt!  

They will start slow out of the gate but Phillips will have them ready by league time. They will lock you down and play smart. They are not on the level of East, Cordova, or CBHS but they will not be an easy game.

Good stuff..yeah definitely, CBHS couldn't go into Binghampton without coming out with a 20 point loss LOL. Do I think they are good, most def!! Phillips is one of the best in the M but I think this might the first team he's had in awhile without a really really good guard/pg. No knock to the players there now but they aren't as good as Naba or Jeremiah and maybe not as good as Javion last year. It's going to be an adjustment for him for sure they gonna be straight though. He one of the guys I respect in the M as a coach. I've always been a fan of lil Blake. One of my favorite players here.