Region 4 1A

On a side note ya'll, Summertown will be playing their home games in Summertown instead of at Lawrenceburg. They are really busy getting that field ready. You will also get to experience a true marching band with Summertown this year--their very first year in existence. They are really working hard to bring that Summertown program to its fullest potential. Hope you enjoy the band and the football team as they grow together!!!!!!!!!!!!

Summertown gets the year started off right with a big come from behind win over 2A Loretto. The Mustangs jumped up  early 20-6 but Summertown would allow no more. They closed to 20-12 at the half and dominated play in the second half. With it being the first ever varsity game played at the Summertown field, it was quite the memorable night. In looking at other scores in the region, Summertown and Grace have legitimate opportunities to get to the playoffs. I see Huntland took it on the chin 35-0 vs Forrest while Mt Pleasant was thumped by Wayne Co. Not going to put much stock into the Richland win over Sale Creek just because of who they played. 

Summertown gets the year started off right with a big come from behind win over 2A Loretto. The Mustangs jumped up early 20-6 but Summertown would allow no more. They closed to 20-12 at the half and dominated play in the second half. With it being the first ever varsity game played at the Summertown field, it was quite the memorable night. In looking at other scores in the region, Summertown and Grace have legitimate opportunities to get to the playoffs. I see Huntland took it on the chin 35-0 vs Forrest while Mt Pleasant was thumped by Wayne Co. Not going to put much stock into the Richland win over Sale Creek just because of who they played.

Loretto was 1-9 last year and only 4 games in the last 3 seasons... How much stock does that get you over Sale Creek? Your stock may go up with Zion next week.

Yes CA lost a lot of leadership, individual talent and skill position expertise in Thompson (WR), Garrison (RB, SS,K,P,returner), Primm (FB, LB), Thurman (FB, LB), Williams (O&DL), Mastalerz (RB,LB), and even 1 yr player Harris (O&DL). Those 7 may be the most accomplished class in CA history and will be near impossible to replace as individuals. However, this year's CA team, while void of star power, is going to be very solid. The overall team speed on defense has increased. No one is going to run on CA very well this year. Definitely not on the edges. There is a lot of meat in the middle too. Starting D line averages 240-250. LBs are very athletic, and they have a little stinger at strong safety. Success may be found in a passing game, but the D backs are a year wiser. The offensive run game will move the ball. I don't see anyone in 4A stopping it. The FB weighs 230 lbs and loves to grind. And the stable is overflowing. The passing game will probably be used sparingly. They can't throw up a prayer this year and let Thompson haul it in, but they have some solid and quick receivers. QB Johnson has to up his game with zip and accuracy, and he works extremely hard on it. Scrimmages and jamboree did not show me anything special in the passing game. I'm waiting patiently for the FRA matchup now that Fayetteville took care of business last week. Special teams will definitely take a hit this year. Kickers and punters are going to have to learn to kick it away from the danger, and they are going to have to do something they haven't had to do for three years...cover kickoffs. I believe this will be the "little team that could" and will fight Fayetteville for district. No one else will come close. To add a little flavor, I believe CA and Fayetteville will play twice this year.

Varo, on the new rules changes for those privates opting to stay DI, the changes do not go in effect until the 2017 season. The new rule is basically this, in addition to the rule that no varsity player 9-12 may receive any need based financial aid, in 2017 no sibling of any varsity player may receive need based financial aid, nor can they (the player, the sibling, or the family) do any "work study" (like mowing the campus lawn in the summer) for tuition or pay. To T$$AA there are no such words as recruit or scholarship. Those words can't be uttered on the private side OR the public side. The descriptive phrase is "need based financial aid." So, yes, the new rule will affect several varsity players at any private school starting in 2017 where their siblings were receiving financial aid or work opportunities before. Of course, CA will play by the rules as always.

Yes CA lost a lot of leadership, individual talent and skill position expertise in Thompson (WR), Garrison (RB, SS,K,P,returner), Primm (FB, LB), Thurman (FB, LB), Williams (O&DL), Mastalerz (RB,LB), and even 1 yr player Harris (O&DL). Those 7 may be the most accomplished class in CA history and will be near impossible to replace as individuals. However, this year's CA team, while void of star power, is going to be very solid. The overall team speed on defense has increased. No one is going to run on CA very well this year. Definitely not on the edges. There is a lot of meat in the middle too. Starting D line averages 240-250. LBs are very athletic, and they have a little stinger at strong safety. Success may be found in a passing game, but the D backs are a year wiser. The offensive run game will move the ball. I don't see anyone in 4A stopping it. The FB weighs 230 lbs and loves to grind. And the stable is overflowing. The passing game will probably be used sparingly. They can't throw up a prayer this year and let Thompson haul it in, but they have some solid and quick receivers. QB Johnson has to up his game with zip and accuracy, and he works extremely hard on it. Scrimmages and jamboree did not show me anything special in the passing game. I'm waiting patiently for the FRA matchup now that Fayetteville took care of business last week. Special teams will definitely take a hit this year. Kickers and punters are going to have to learn to kick it away from the danger, and they are going to have to do something they haven't had to do for three years...cover kickoffs. I believe this will be the "little team that could" and will fight Fayetteville for district. No one else will come close. To add a little flavor, I believe CA and Fayetteville will play twice this year.

Varo, on the new rules changes for those privates opting to stay DI, the changes do not go in effect until the 2017 season. The new rule is basically this, in addition to the rule that no varsity player 9-12 may receive any need based financial aid, in 2017 no sibling of any varsity player may receive need based financial aid, nor can they (the player, the sibling, or the family) do any "work study" (like mowing the campus lawn in the summer) for tuition or pay. To T$$AA there are no such words as recruit or scholarship. Those words can't be uttered on the private side OR the public side. The descriptive phrase is "need based financial aid." So, yes, the new rule will affect several varsity players at any private school starting in 2017 where their siblings were receiving financial aid or work opportunities before. Of course, CA will play by the rules as always.

OM, thanks for the follow-up.  Nothing would make me happier than taking a regular season game over CA and then getting the opportunity to take another one in the post-season.  Except maybe sticking it to South Pitt in the post-season. Now that's what dreams are made of!  Lol. 

We had a great all-around game against Franklin Road, except for silly penalties that gifted the Panthers, but fortunately they rarely took advantage and we fought hard to overcome those setbacks.  Our defense was impressive, holding FRA to 123 total yards (78 ground/45 air) and taking three interceptions and one fumble to stall drives.  Offense looked good on the ground, even with the wet conditions two players had over 100 yds. It was a great way to start off the '16 season, and even played host to a bunch of the CA players that came to scout/watch us play.  I hope they have success against FRA when they play next, and nothing when they come to the Hill to play us next month.  Now to TCB against Huntland Friday!  That's the second step.

OM, thanks for the follow-up. Nothing would make me happier than taking a regular season game over CA and then getting the opportunity to take another one in the post-season. Except maybe sticking it to South Pitt in the post-season. Now that's what dreams are made of! Lol.

We had a great all-around game against Franklin Road, except for silly penalties that gifted the Panthers, but fortunately they rarely took advantage and we fought hard to overcome those setbacks. Our defense was impressive, holding FRA to 123 total yards (78 ground/45 air) and taking three interceptions and one fumble to stall drives. Offense looked good on the ground, even with the wet conditions two players had over 100 yds. It was a great way to start off the '16 season, and even played host to a bunch of the CA players that came to scout/watch us play. I hope they have success against FRA when they play next, and nothing when they come to the Hill to play us next month. Now to TCB against Huntland Friday! That's the second step.

Did Franklin Road Academy lose a lot?

Did Franklin Road Academy lose a lot?

Not that I had heard, they were the coaches pick to finish 2nd in DII -A.  Talk in the stands was one of their players was an LSU commit, but that was probably just bleacher talk.  Maybe we're just getting better Ambassador?