4 classes in baseball?

davidlimbaugh

TSSAA to release class recommendations Thursday http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/06/07/tssaa-release-class-recommendations-thursday/85545856/
As you probably know, I have been trying to get our high school baseball post-season changed for almost two decades now. I hate one-and-done in baseball. I hate that one big arm (if you can get out ofthe district) can get you to the state tournament. I really hate that the big arm throws in the district tournament, then on Monday, then Friday, the Tuesday and then Friday again (see Brian Morris, Will Crowe a long list of others). Baseball is a team sport. Football has one QB and basketball has one Point Guard but baseball is a test of a pitching staff, not one pitcher. I have a hunch you agree with me on that.

Now I am told re-classification may come into play. I was asked to investigate how that may impact baseball and I was asked to come up with a tentative plan. I was also told the real question is basketball. I was also told that the number of teams getting to basketball and Spring Fling needs to be cut to four. I wonder how the reduction in teams may impact the Chamber of Commerce bids in the future. I think I have come up with a way to keep eight teams coming to Murfreesboro in basketball and baseball.

Basketball. Right now the boys always wait a week for the girls to finish and the tourrnament stretches from Wednesday to Saturday. My idea (epiphany - lol!).

One week is girls and boys A and AAA - the following week is AA and AAA (and we can rotate girls and boys and classifications from year to year)

Monday - Girls 10:00, 11:30, 1:00, 2:30, 4:00, 5:30, 7:00 and 8:30 - First Round A and AAA games

Tuesday - Girls 2:00, 3:30, 5:00 and 6:30 - Semifinals A and AAA games

Wednesday - Girls 7:00 and 8:30 - A and AAA Championship Games

Repeat for Thursday, Friday and Saturday for A and AAA Boys

Next week same schedule just AA and AAAA

8 teams - 4 classes - Chamber of Commerce is happy :)

Plan B - days off

Girls
Tuesday - 8 games 10:00 to 8:30 A and AAA First Round
Wednesday - 8 games 10 to 8:30 - AA and AAAA First Round
Thursday - 4 games 1:30 to 7:00 A and AAA Semifinals
Friday - 4 games 1:30 to 7:00 AA and AAAA Semifnals
Saturday - 4 games 1:30 to 7:00 Four Championship Games

Next week - Boys

Baseball?   Region Tournament - 4 teams - example this year 7AAA and 8AAA

Even year - so at Lincoln County

Game 1 Friday 5:00 Stewarts Creek vs Lincoln Co

Game 2 Friday 7:30 Columbia vs Siegel

Game 3 Saturday 10:00 Loser G1 vs Loser G2

Game 4 Saturday   1:00 Winner G1 vs Winner G2 - Winner Hosts Substate

Game 5 Saturday   4:00 Winner G3 vs Loser G4 - Winner Travels to Substate

Friday/Saturday - Substate (2 out of 3) - Winner to Spring Fling

I really like the set-up Mississippi has to crown their State Champions in baseball. They have six classes and their schools are divided into 8 Regions. Regions 1-4 are in the North and 5-8 in the South. Everybody in the Region plays a home-home series and the top 4 from each Region makes the State Tournament. North Regions play each other and the South Regions play each other. Semi Finals are considered North State and South State. Best part of it all, every round is the best of 3. High seed hosts 1st game and the If game. Each round games usually take place on Thurs, Friday, and Saturday. State Championship Series is at Mississippi Braves Stadium. Bracket would look like this for the North:

R1 #1 v R4 #4

R2 #2 v R3 #3

R4 #2 v R1 #3

R3 #1 V R2 #4

R2 #1 V R3 #4

R1 #2 V R4 #3

R3 #2 V R2 #3

R4 #1 V R1 #4

The South would be set up similar and they would play it out and the North plays the South in the Chamlionship. Tennessee could do the same but dividing it up West/East.

The population of Tennessee is not great enough to have 4 classifications in  D1.  What I would like to see is 8 teams in the 3 classifications continue to qualify for the state tournament but then it would change.

Have 4 teams on each side of the bracket and use pool play to determine the winner.  The winner from both the bottom and top side of the bracket would play for the state championship in a best 2 out of 3 series.  This way the TSSAA could make a few extra dollars because each team is guaranteed 3 games and the championship is a 2 out of 3 series.

Tuesday & Wednesday would be pool play.

Thursday could be used a rainout day

Friday:  5:00pm 1st championship game with the 2nd game to follow 45 minutes after the 1st game is completed.

Saturday:  12:00pm If needed game

Yes, all championship series would not be played at MTSU but who cares.  Most of the championship games are lucky to have 250 fans in the bleachers.

Edited by cbg

A lot of wasted effort. No chance they go to four classes in baseball/softball. They don't make any money off them and do not want to extend them any longer due to daily costs. This is why they want to only bring 4 teams, to keep the days they pay rent at a minimum. Sad but true. MTSU has become increasingly proud of its facilities and the compensation they expect.

Also, how come nobody cares that softball chanpionships are played on temporary fences at a rec park instead of  the MTSU stadium?

Let's face it. Football has 8 classes right now and will have 9 after the reclassification when most the  remaining D1 privates go D2. D2 will regain their middle division like they used to have at the beginning of the split. Book it. Football runs everything. That is where their $$$ comes from.

A lot of wasted effort. No chance they go to four classes in baseball/softball. They don't make any money off them and do not want to extend them any longer due to daily costs. This is why they want to only bring 4 teams, to keep the days they pay rent at a minimum. Sad but true. MTSU has become increasingly proud of its facilities and the compensation they expect.

Also, how come nobody cares that softball chanpionships are played on temporary fences at a rec park instead of  the MTSU stadium?

Let's face it. Football has 8 classes right now and will have 9 after the reclassification when most the  remaining D1 privates go D2. D2 will regain their middle division like they used to have at the beginning of the split. Book it. Football runs everything. That is where their $$$ comes from.

I have heard from Matthew Gillespie (TSSAA Assistant Executive Director, the guy who handles media credentials for TSSAA championship events) that the reason they don't hold the softball championships at MTSU is because all five of those tournaments have an "If Necessary" game to decide their champions.

It would be a simple solution for Division II - just hold both games on Thursday, and rotate. If Division II-A needs its "If Necessary", play it after Division II-AA's (possibly first) championship game.

But Division I softball would need to go to the same kind of bracket D-I baseball uses, with the eight teams split into two brackets of four, each with their own Losers' Bracket. (I'd actually prefer that.)

• 1 month later...

The population of Tennessee is not great enough to have 4 classifications in  D1.  What I would like to see is 8 teams in the 3 classifications continue to qualify for the state tournament but then it would change.

Have 4 teams on each side of the bracket and use pool play to determine the winner.  The winner from both the bottom and top side of the bracket would play for the state championship in a best 2 out of 3 series.  This way the TSSAA could make a few extra dollars because each team is guaranteed 3 games and the championship is a 2 out of 3 series.

Tuesday & Wednesday would be pool play.

Thursday could be used a rainout day

Friday:  5:00pm 1st championship game with the 2nd game to follow 45 minutes after the 1st game is completed.

Saturday:  12:00pm If needed game

Yes, all championship series would not be played at MTSU but who cares.  Most of the championship games are lucky to have 250 fans in the bleachers.

Yes it is. In fact I'd say it's about 20 years overdue.