Best coaches?

thegame523

In the Knoxville area I believe some of the best coaches are Mike Hutchens (Catholic), Gary Barnes (Powell), Bill Duncan (Heritage), Randy Moore (Halls) and Jody Wright (Fulton). Four of my choices are based on those teams success versus the competitive schedules they play without having the athletes that most schools have. Jody's team are well coached and play great defense.

I think we need to see more of what Barnes can do and Randy has been a fourth or fifth place team in his district Huthcens and Duncan have a proven track record. At least Duncan will play Catholic while Moore avoids them....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Coach Hutchens has a lifetime record of something like 28-7 vs CAK so I'll give him the upper hand. Don't get me wrong Shane does an excellent job and he's had some really good talent the last few years. I'm assuming your D2 comment is accusing Catholic of recruiting? If those are recruited players then Mike needs a new recruiter lol. In 2014 and 2015 key players hurt or playing hurt for Catholic was an issue but CAK had the better team and won. This year a two point victory at CAK, a 16 point loss at Catholic and a questionable basket that was at first waved off then counted for a one point victory makes for far superior coaching? Oh well the last time I check this is America and it's all opinions that we are entitled too. I know both guys very well and both IN MY OPINION do a great job with the players they have. And they are great role models for their players. CAK is 6-3 the last three years, but when Catholic was AAA they played CAK with Wells coaching and CAK lost both games in 2011 and 2012.

I assumed the D2 reference applied to the fact they haven't had a player sign at the D1 or D2 collegiate level.....865BB?

I think we need to see more of what Barnes can do and Randy has been a fourth or fifth place team in his district Huthcens and Duncan have a proven track record. At least Duncan will play Catholic while Moore avoids them....

Randy pulls double duty (at Seymour and Halls) and his team are competitive. I believes he's a good coach. Name a Catholic player that's played Division 1 or 2 hoops? They've had a couple go to D3 or NAIA.

Since Coach Hutchens has a lifetime record of something like 28-7 vs CAK, I'll give him the upper hand. Don't get me wrong Shane does an excellent job and he's had some really good talent the last few years. In 2014 and 2015 key players injured (Smith and Anderson) or playing hurt (Kuerschen and Scott) was an issue but CAK had the better team and won. This year a two point victory at CAK, a 16 point loss at Catholic and a questionable basket that was at first waved off then counted for a one point victory makes for far superior coaching? Oh well the last time I check this is America and it's all opinions that we are entitled too. I know both guys very well and both IN MY OPINION do a great job with the players they have. And they are great role models for their players. CAK is 6-3 the last three years, but when Catholic was AAA they played CAK with Wells coaching and CAK lost both games in 2011 and 2012.

That 28-7 vs CAK isn't 28-7 vs Shane so that's not really relevant.

With you coaching at Catholic you should defend Hutchins but anyone around the area that knows coaching will tell you that Shane is far an away a better at x and o's.

That 28-7 vs CAK isn't 28-7 vs Shane so that's not really relevant.

With you coaching at Catholic you should defend Hutchins but anyone around the area that knows coaching will tell you that Shane is far an away a better at x and o's.

With you coaching at CAK you should mention Wells, however, when Wells was at LC he never beat Hutch, they were 5-5 against each other when he was at Loudon and you're correct Shane has the upper hand while at CAK 6-5. But as stated before its all opinion. I've known Shane 15 years and he's a great coach and better person, his teams are well prepared and play hard. I never said one was better then the other I just stated an opinion on coaches who fly under the News Sentinel radar lol. Everyone mentions Ricky, Mark, Shane, Aaron, Jody, etc. I was mentioning coaches who I feel get the most out of what they have. I mentioned Jody because while he has athletes they do buy into his defense first mentality. However Shane really gets the most of his kids ability and he puts them in position to be successful on and off the court. I've known HutchEns 20 plus years and he could care less what other area coaches think of his coaching style. His concern is his players and his program. It's amazing how a persons opinion can cause so much drama. Edited by QSouth89

With you coaching at CAK you should mention Wells, however, when Wells was at LC he never beat Hutch, they were 5-5 against each other when he was at Loudon and you're correct Shane has the upper hand while at CAK 6-5. But as stated before its all opinion. I've known Shane 15 years and he's a great coach and better person, his teams are well prepared and play hard. I never said one was better then the other I just stated an opinion on coaches who fly under the News Sentinel radar lol. Everyone mentions Ricky, Mark, Shane, Aaron, Jody, etc. I was mentioning coaches who I feel get the most out of what they have. I mentioned Jody because while he has athletes they do buy into his defense first mentality. However Shane really gets the most of his kids ability and he puts them in position to be successful on and off the court. I've known HutchEns 20 plus years and he could care less what other area coaches think of his coaching style. His concern is his players and his program. It's amazing how a persons opinion can cause so much drama.

Where is the drama? This is a conversation. I didn't say anything about his coaching style, just that Shane is a superior x and o coach.

Hutchens does a fine job.

Where is the drama? This is a conversation. I didn't say anything about his coaching style, just that Shane is a superior x and o coach.

Hutchens does a fine job.

I don't mean from you. I know it's just friendly banter from rival schools, however the messages I get from others trying to make it more is hilarious. Too many people take stuff to serious lol. Everyone is entitled to their opinions