Chattanooga Christian School hires Ben Wharton as baseball coach.

thesportsguy222

Following has been taken from an article written by the Chattanoogan.

"Coach Wharton was a member of the 2001 State Champion basketball team and a standout pitcher his senior year, completing the regular season with a 14-0 record and a 0.63 E.R.A. A 2003 graduate of CCS where he received TSSAA all state baseball honors in 2003 following two consecutive trips to the state tournament, Wharton continued his baseball career at Bryan College under Coach Joel Johnson, where he earned all-region honors as an outfielder, led the NAIA in stolen bases in 2006, and earned a Gold Glove in 2007.

Following graduation from Bryan College, Wharton played two years of independent minor league baseball for the Bay Area Toros in 2007 and the Reno Silver Sox in 2008. Wharton then joined the coaching ranks as the assistant head coach at Covenant College, where he also served as the intramural director (2010-2013) and director of athletic marketing (2013-2016). Wharton also completed his Master's degree in sport management from Georgia Southern University in 2013 and taught as an adjunct professor at Covenant in the physical and sport education department.

Coach Wharton and his wife, Stephanie, have two boys, Zeke, who will be in kindergarten at CCS starting this fall, and three-year-old Josiah. They attend Lookout Mountain Presbyterian Church where Wharton currently serves as a deacon.

Wharton stated upon accepting the reins of the baseball program, “I am honored to follow two of my mentors, John Visser and Joel Johnson, as the head baseball coach at Chattanooga Christian. One of the most exciting aspects for me is the opportunity to mentor and disciple young men and help them develop spiritually, academically, and athletically. I have been blessed to coach under Doug Simons for the past eight years at Covenant College and have learned what it looks like to pursue excellence on the field as an act of worship, which is something I will take with me to CCS. As an alumnus, there is a sense of coming home, and I am eager to keep building upon the tradition of excellence at CCS.'"