Mercy Rule for Football

etcoach

1) The mercy rule for football is 35 points (5 scores)

2) The mercy rule for basketball is 35 points (minimum 12 scores if all are 3 pointers)

I have watched hundreds of both over the years.  I did Maryville radio for two years.  They hit the mercy rule in over 60% of those games.  Sure, I was getting paid by the game not by the hour so as far as that is concerned....fine.  Officials also benefit.  But what about the kids who play 2nd and 3rd string?

I can remember Quarles running in a different quarterback every play just to get someone in.  One play isn't enough.  They should at least be able to get one drive, but it is impossible with the running clock.

Basketball hardly ever gets to the mercy rule.  So these two are not parallel at all.

3)  The mercy rule in football is not consistent.  Some stadiums once the mercy rule starts, the clock never stops unless there is a time out.  A team scores a touchdown, and the clock just keeps on running through the extra point and never stops for change of possession at all.  Other stadiums do stop it on change of possessions after a touchdown.  

To me, the mercy rule in football should be 49.  Let the kids play for goodness sake.  If you lose 91-0 then.............you lost 91-0.  It's something you can tell your grandchildren.

Sorry I see no purpose in scoring 91 points per game just because you want to get 2nd and 3rd strings playing time.   It it happens because your 2nd and 3rd strings are also scoring easily - so be it.  But why continue to beat up a team that is clearly not able to compete with another team?  

And honestly if a coach can tell the team is on the path to a mercy type game they can start playing the 2nd and 3rd string before they get to the 35 points. 

Edited to add:  Rhea County last week actually got both the 2nd string and many of the 3rd string players in the game but the substitutions started right after half time. 

Edited by TNVolFan2000

Sorry I see no purpose in scoring 91 points per game just because you want to get 2nd and 3rd strings playing time. It it happens because your 2nd and 3rd strings are also scoring easily - so be it. But why continue to beat up a team that is clearly not able to compete with another team?

And honestly if a coach can tell the team is on the path to a mercy type game they can start playing the 2nd and 3rd string before they get to the 35 points.

90 points is excessive. With that being said, what is the 3rd string supposed to do, take a knee on offense?