Mercy Rule for Football

etcoach

Let's just say, if there weren't a mercy rule nowadays, some games would last 4-5 hours (spread teams completing 1 pass attempt out of three, makes for a slow clock). Those teams naturally are trying to "get back in the game," and it's torturing to even watch them games.

-Shucks, I remember John Mullinax getting upset with Bill Horton for "running up the score" in 1985 (Rhea County beat McMinn County 34-0)... wouldn't even shake his hand after the game. LOL.

Edited by ADS1

I dont like the rule. I agree with those that say it takes time and experience away from second and third team players.

I  have problems when it is a running clock and a team is up by 35 ; then the other team scores and it goes back running the clock as normal. I have seen teams down by 35 and then lose by 14. Running clock killed them. They may have been able to win the game. I understand that those are exceptions; but it still has happened.