District 4-A 2016-2017

VFL44

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year it'll be a dog fight for Oakdale, Coalfield, and Wartburg for the top 3 spots in the district.

OD has two really good players, but could be shaky after that. WB also has 2 good ones and some decent supporting players. CF has just one really good player...probably a little more help than OD overall, not sure where their 2nd & 3rd scorers come from though. Big dropoff on defense if the Keathley kid doesn't play. Early on, I'd say WB 1st, CF 2nd and OD 3rd...

OD has a got some players that have been developing well over the summer they will definitely be the quickest team in the district. I think it'll be either OD or WB taking the number 1 spot. I've heard that a few players from coalfield might not play if they don't I don't see them beating OD or WB.

OD has a got some players that have been developing well over the summer they will definitely be the quickest team in the district. I think it'll be either OD or WB taking the number 1 spot. I've heard that a few players from coalfield might not play if they don't I don't see them beating OD or WB.

yea, if CF has a couple older kids that don't play....they'll be in big trouble. Had a couple of pretty good freshman last year, but didn't look like they've grown much. If all upperclassmen play, they'll be pretty pretty decent. Maybe OD has some other kids develop... I haven't seen any in the fall league do much so far from there....maybe I just missed them. WB most stable it seems as of now. None can beat GCA in region as of sept. Edited by CAH09

yea, if CF has a couple older kids that don't play....they'll be in big trouble. Had a couple of pretty good freshman last year, but didn't look like they've grown much. If all upperclassmen play, they'll be pretty pretty decent. Maybe OD has some other kids develop... I haven't seen any in the fall league do much so far from there....maybe I just missed them. WB most stable it seems as of now. None can beat GCA in region as of sept.

It is going to be exciting to see how it turns out. The teams that get out of the district are gonna have a tough time in the region tournament. OD plays Harriman during the season I think they could sneak up on them and get the W. Coalfield really only has one player they lost the second leading scorer from last year. I don't think they have anyone else that'll be able to step and score other than their only player. WB is always tough they got a great coach. Having him as a coach keeps them in the top 3 automatically. 

It is going to be exciting to see how it turns out. The teams that get out of the district are gonna have a tough time in the region tournament. OD plays Harriman during the season I think they could sneak up on them and get the W. Coalfield really only has one player they lost the second leading scorer from last year. I don't think they have anyone else that'll be able to step and score other than their only player. WB is always tough they got a great coach. Having him as a coach keeps them in the top 3 automatically. 

Depends...not a lot of shooters in junior/senior classes at CF, but if they all play...it's a ALOT of size and plenty of older bodies. Would return 8 of top 9 upperclassmen + Lowe from OD if he plays....and arguably have the best player in d4. Certainly their 3 - 8 players would be better than OD's 3 -8 with a lot more experience. Still though, I'd give WB the edge overall with all things considered. I think they lost 2 starters from last year....?? Oneida and Jellico should be better as well. 

• 2 months later...

Games have started. Let's push this thread back to the top. My less than fully informed season beginning rankings:

#1 Wartburg Two really good ones in Carroll and Fountain. More quality role players to help than OD.

#2 Coalfield...FB players back soon, (7 of top 10) they'll need everyone to play to win this district. One outstanding player in Mckinney.

#3 Oakdale. Two good players in Smith and Jackson...unclear after that

#4 Jellico Should be better than last year

#5 Oneida

#6 OS looked really down to me. Lost a lot from a sub .500 team.  We'll see

#7 Sunbright. Likely another tough year

If all CF football players play, pretty big gap between top two and the rest... at this point anyway.

Edited by CAH09

Games have started. Let's push this thread back to the top. My less than fully informed season beginning rankings:

#1 Wartburg Two really good ones in Carroll and Fountain. More quality role players to help than OD.

#2 Coalfield...FB players back soon, (7 of top 10) they'll need everyone to play to win this district. One outstanding player in Mckinney.

#3 Oakdale. Two good players in Smith and Jackson...unclear after that

#4 Jellico Should be better than last year

#5 Oneida

#6 OS looked really down to me. Lost a lot from a sub .500 team. We'll see

#7 Sunbright. Likely another tough year

If all CF football players play, pretty big gap between top two and the rest... at this point anyway.

Not sure how they will finish but Jellico isn't backing away from competition. Played Heritage, Catholic and Cosby over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

So Coalfield hosts Sunbright to kick off the district 4-a games this friday.  Then a few start the next week in Wartburg at Oneida (dec 6), Sunbright at Wartburg (dec 9), Coalfield at Jellico (dec 9), Oakdale at Oneida (dec 9).  

Who gets out to an early district lead?  

Also, any surprises so far after the first two weeks of action (non district games)?

Coalfield 1-3

Jellico 2-4

Oakdale 1-5

Oliver Springs 3-2

Oneida 1-2

Sunbright 0-6

Wartburg 1-2

So Coalfield hosts Sunbright to kick off the district 4-a games this friday.  Then a few start the next week in Wartburg at Oneida (dec 6), Sunbright at Wartburg (dec 9), Coalfield at Jellico (dec 9), Oakdale at Oneida (dec 9).  

Who gets out to an early district lead?  

Also, any surprises so far after the first two weeks of action (non district games)?

Coalfield 1-3

Jellico 2-4

Oakdale 1-5

Oliver Springs 3-2

Oneida 1-2

Sunbright 0-6

Wartburg 1-2

Nah, Not really any surprises....at least looking at who they've played.  

OD kept it close vs Harriman and clarkrange...not so much against bigger schools.

A little suprised WB lost at home to Kingston. 

2 or 3 teams are really weak, they'll finish well below .500. SB, OS for sure. Although OS gutted out wins against a couple of (weak) larger schools....that was good for them.

It sounded like CF had 7 or 8 of their top 10 players in Fball, so they'll have to play/practice a couple weeks to get an idea on them. Maybe that could help Jellico steal one from CF this week...?

Edited by CAH09