District 4-A 2016-2017

VFL44

CF let one they led throughout slip away late at Jellico last nite. Jellico is somewhat improved this yr. Ultimately though, the big kid (CF) quitting makes them 3rd place at best now. Too many turnovers and no shooters....now not enough size and a much weaker rotation. Upper classmen have to stop throwing the ball to the other team, repeatedly... Or they'll be 4th or 5th in d4. Who quit was it  Kilby if so this really hurts Coalfield

yep. Kilby. They will struggle without him. No one to fill his size role. It takes a team that lost one senior...and was going to finish 1st or 2nd, that had battled GCA to the wire last year, and turns them into a very average group with one really good player.

Edited by CAH09

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep. Kilby. They will struggle without him. No one to fill his size role. It takes a team that lost one senior...and was going to finish 1st or 2nd, that had battled GCA to the wire last year, and turns them into a very average group with one really good player.

I believe coalfield will get off to a 1-3 start in district play. I think they lose both games this week.

I believe coalfield will get off to a 1-3 start in district play. I think they lose both games this week.

good effort last night. Good game by OD. Great comeback by CF.... Then had the game won in OT, only to be out of position on defense and foul to cause a tie with 5 secs to go.....and then get a technical with the ball under your own basket with less than a second to go. Same player both times. Ouch. Edited by CAH09

OD comes out with a HUGE WIN!!!

Agree. Nice job by OD keeping it together late when it appeared they had lost. Hate to see it end like that...but that wasn't OD's fault...or the refs fault. Although they did struggle at times... as did the clock keeper... OD might want to seek out a replacement, that was a mess all night....just a mess. 

From what I've heard coalfield may be shorthanded tonight against Wartburg due to illness.

Yea, having a starter out hurt, no doubt. Kilby back helped though. Competitive game throughout. NIce job by WB. Couple late killer  turnovers flipped the game to WB. Head scratcher in the rotation last couple games for CF as well. Sketchy shooting overall, but fairly entertaining game. At this point, none of the four d4 teams are much more than just ok. Each would be fourth, at best, in region.

Yea, having a starter out hurt, no doubt. Kilby back helped though. Competitive game throughout. NIce job by WB. Couple late killer turnovers flipped the game to WB. Head scratcher in the rotation last couple games for CF as well. Sketchy shooting overall, but fairly entertaining game. At this point, none of the four d4 teams are much more than just ok. Each would be fourth, at best, in region.

I thought Kilby had a good game. It would've been nice to have had him against Oakdale.

Yep... His absence was biggest factor in jellico and OD losses. Granted, two really bad, unnecessary plays at end of OT flipped the OD game. (Out of position/over the back + tech, both in closing 3 secs by same player) Hopefully, that was a painful (what did you think would happen?!?) sub rotation lesson learned there for the coaches...Likely wouldn't have been that close anyway with Kilby playing.

To this point...strangely enough...jellico has looked the best of the four....more shooters and some length. Maybe that was just a good night for them, I don't know.

Edited by CAH09

• 2 weeks later...

I think CF will be in good form by tournament time.

maybe so, but they'll still have one huge problem... Not a single shooter in the rotation.. Ultimately, that will get them at some point even if they continue to play better. They have the best roster athletically in the district .... But no one who is a serious shooting threat that teams have to guard. If McKinney finds his outside shot, that would help... But that's not really his game.