Class A - Region 2

VFL44

Great game tonight at GCA. Great small school atmosphere. Both teams are really good, but had some sloppy stretches. It was one of those games where you hate to see either team lose. Harriman was up 15 near the end of 3, but Grace had a pretty amazing comeback to send it to OT and pull it out with free throws. Next Tuesday Harriman is going to be looking for payback at home and I expect a tough environment for Grace on the road.

That was a battle and GCA played poorly 2 out of 3 Qs good win 93-84 in OT

Round 2 next Tuesday at Harriman

Great game to watch.Two very different teams.Harriman is a playground team (no offense).GCA a half court team.Harriman will run you off the floor and GCA can pound you inside (if they would).Harriman in transition can beat just about anyone but in half court they lack the size.Take away the missed dunks that should have been layups and Harriman wins in regulation,if Harriman was a disciplined team they win that game GCA needs to use the bigs and that comes from the coaching.#33 for GCA is a great ball player but makes too many silly passes real him in and he is as good of as I have seen.We are going to Harriman to watch the next one and that should be another doozy! Edited by orngnblk

Great game to watch.Two very different teams.Harriman is a playground team (no offense).GCA a half court team.Harriman will run you off the floor and GCA can pound you inside (if they would).Harriman in transition can beat just about anyone but in half court they lack the size.Take away the missed dunks that should have been layups and Harriman wins in regulation,if Harriman was a disciplined team they win that game GCA needs to use the bigs and that comes from the coaching.#33 for GCA is a great ball player but makes too many silly passes real him in and he is as good of as I have seen.We are going to Harriman to watch the next one and that should be another doozy!

Brilliant Assessment - we are not a Post Entry pass team. You would have to take your eyes off the box scores to learn to throw a post entry pass. If we pound the lane early we get Harriman in foul trouble we dont lose the first 3 quarters. Harrimans bench had 2 points. Our bench had like 24. Our 6 and 7 off the bench are quality guys. We can rotate with confidence.

If you figure out how to get people to own the talent they have and do the simple stuff then let me know. I been waiting all year for that. Hmmmm.....6-8 posting 5-9 every trip down seems like a spot to work early in a game.

That and limit absolutely stupid turnovers and I think we are 15 pts better than Harriman. I like all our guys but we dont change habits easy. Sign of an immature group

Gotta grow up to win it all

"You would have to take your eyes off the box scores to learn to throw a post entry pass."  :o

I love that comment.  So true.  Also seems like they'd rather add a block on the stat line than play good D in the first place at times.

Isn't CJ coming back from injury about a month ago?  This was my first game this year and for most of the game, I thought he looked a little out of sync compared to last year, until he caught fire in the 4th.  That still doesn't explain trying to throw a pass across the lane thru 3 defenders. 

That's why I said there were sloppy stretches from both teams.  OnB, you are right about Harriman and the missed dunk and then not trying to milk the clock at all during that same stretch while Grace was hitting shots at the other end made for a quick comeback.

CJ is not 100% but he is tough as oak knot. Last night was his first game back in like 4 weeks. He has a competitive heart.

Most all our guys are competitive but at times it feels like if I winn 1 on 1 I win. Well that is not always team winning. And I am not singleing out any one kid. At times they can all exhibit it. 17-5 and I have seen maybe 6-7 team first games. But our schedule is so weird. We either play Goliths or piss ants not much in between. I dont envy any coach who has to play 3 piss ants in a row then get Goliith. Kids get comfortable in bad habits and then cant correct it immediately. Thats were playing a full year of 5A 6A is better but Our coach does great at giving us a good non conference schedule so he is trying to avoid that

They are kids lol

Great game to watch.Two very different teams.Harriman is a playground team (no offense).GCA a half court team.Harriman will run you off the floor and GCA can pound you inside (if they would).Harriman in transition can beat just about anyone but in half court they lack the size.Take away the missed dunks that should have been layups and Harriman wins in regulation,if Harriman was a disciplined team they win that game GCA needs to use the bigs and that comes from the coaching.#33 for GCA is a great ball player but makes too many silly passes real him in and he is as good of as I have seen.We are going to Harriman to watch the next one and that should be another doozy!

Great assessment. 33&35 from GCA were both difference makers. 33 is a freshman correct? 😳😳 The way he took that game over when he got hot didn't look like a freshman if you were to ask me. I felt like we were the better team on the court for 3 quarters but got out of attack mode and let off the gas at the start and GCA took advantage. But that's what good teams do. Lesson learned, now let's bounce back and start rolling again and make some noise. Heck of a game last night on both sides. Looking forward to round 2!

Great assessment. 33&35 from GCA were both difference makers. 33 is a freshman correct? 😳😳 The way he took that game over when he got hot didn't look like a freshman if you were to ask me. I felt like we were the better team on the court for 3 quarters but got out of attack mode and let off the gas at the start and GCA took advantage. But that's what good teams do. Lesson learned, now let's bounce back and start rolling again and make some noise. Heck of a game last night on both sides. Looking forward to round 2!

33 is a Sophomore.

As you said, heckuva game, better on one side and very disappointing on the other side. You boys like to run and we didn't seem to make any adjustments to stop it until the 4th qtr. Pretty impressive of the Rams to keep their composure and keep pounding when they were down 16 with 1 1/2 qtrs to go. That's being well coached and disciplined along with a lot of competitiveness. That coaching staff has a lot of experience and I would expect a different type of game next Tuesday. Should be another great District 3A game.

And if I offended anyone with my piss ant anology it was not personal against any schools it was just a poor choice of words

I should have said Grizzly Bears vs Teddy Bears instead of Golith and piss ants. Dumb on my part and my apologies to the smaller schools struggling this year.

At least no one can say I am a rose colored glasses homer. I give honest opinions about our own team equally.

Edited by 12thmanGCA

And if I offended anyone with my piss ant anology it was not personal against any schools it was just a poor choice of words

I should have said Grizzly Bears vs Teddy Bears instead of Golith and piss ants. Dumb on my part and my apologies to the smaller schools struggling this year.

At least no one can say I am a rose colored glasses homer. I give honest opinions about our own team equally.

I thought that might get you in trouble...ha. It hasn't been too many years that GCA was one of those (teddy bears). They have done a good job building a program. Many small schools have what they have (which can be improved) but just within certain limitations.