DCA at Webb

Spartan4Life

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CAK folks I met and talked to said they should have won the game against Webb.

Last years game with Webb was close because of turnovers but DCA dominated the game.

DCA turned it over on their own 3 and 17 against CAK. That game might have been much different with a few plays going for DCA.

If Webb tries to load up and stop #6 it will come down again to hitting a few deep balls to the WRs. CAKs DBs were beaten often but DCA couldnt connect. DCAs qb is a good QB and made several big plays aganist CAK.

DCA will have a very difficult time slowing down Webbs rushing attack. Webb is the favorite here but DCA has a punchers chance if they stop making turnovers.

Note: I know this is a football thread but Webb and DCA will play for the district soccer championship before the football game. DCA has a better chance to win that one than the football game.

Good luck to all the teams!!

Edited by Playerscoach

The CAK folks I met and talked to said they should have won the game against Webb.

Last years game with Webb was close because of turnovers but DCA dominated the game.

DCA turned it over on their own 3 and 17 against CAK. That game might have been much different with a few plays going for DCA.

If Webb tries to load up and stop #6 it will come down again to hitting a few deep balls to the WRs. CAKs DBs were beaten often but DCA couldnt connect. DCAs qb is a good QB and made several big plays aganist CAK.

DCA will have a very difficult time slowing down Webbs rushing attack. Webb is the favorite here but DCA has a punchers chance if they stop making turnovers.

Note: I know this is a football thread but Webb and DCA will play for the district soccer championship before the football game. DCA has a better chance to win that one than the football game.

Good luck to all the teams!!

Well any team that loses and the final score is close is going to say they "should have won" Webb had opened up a 17 point lead. CAK scored some points really late to make it appear closer than it was. Webb is defiantly the better football team this year.

That being said its all about match ups. I will tell you this Webb team is a lot better than last years (2015 def a down year for Webb)

If DCA matches up well and makes some plays this could be a game like last year. If not Webb could coast.

Well any team that loses and the final score is close is going to say they "should have won" Webb had opened up a 17 point lead. CAK scored some points really late to make it appear closer than it was. Webb is defiantly the better football team this year.

That being said its all about match ups. I will tell you this Webb team is a lot better than last years (2015 def a down year for Webb)

If DCA matches up well and makes some plays this could be a game like last year. If not Webb could coast.

I recognize that Warrior fans may see the  CAK / Webb game through Warrior eyes, but I believe you are seeing this game through "Spartan Eyes." Let me explain why I believe that. Disclaimer: I disagree with any Warrior fan who says CAK "should" have won that game. A more accurate view in my opinion is that, "CAK could have very possibly won that game, but didn't."

Your post that CAK scored a couple of times very late after being down 17 paints a picture for those that weren't there and can only read about it that is not accurate, and may not be what you intended. It makes it sound like Webb had a comfortable lead and perhaps had put in their back up players which allowed CAK to get back in the game. This simply is not the case. While Webb substituted from time to time, as did CAK, due to a player getting dinged up, or giving a player a play or two to catch his breath, Webb played their starters by in large all 4 quarters, as did CAK.

The difference in the final score of this game came down to CAK uncharacteristically missing an extra point earlier in the game, which caused them go for two after their next touch down. They missed on the two point attempt. This accounted for the two point deficit that prevented this game from going into over time. Had CAK not missed the extra point, they would not have gone for two the next touchdown. CAK has not had a systemic problem with extra points this year. This was an anomaly. Had the game gone into over time, who knows what would have happened given high school overtime rules, both teams starting from the 10. Either Webb or CAK may have been the better overall team and yet lost in a HS overtime. Happens all the time that the best team does not win in overtime, and it could have gone either way.

IMO, Webb's strength was tremendous speed from the 8th grade track star and a couple of other players. I believe CAK "won more plays" and had more sustained drives for scores, while Webb would get stopped for a play or two, and then one of their speedsters would break through and CAK had no one on the field that could catch them. This is all part of the game, but my point is that CAK was effective against Webb, not dominated by them. CAK simply had no answer for the tremendous speed Webb has, yet came very close to forcing over time. Both teams scored 5 TD's.

CAK only plays a couple of players both ways. Perhaps this has contributed to CAK being a second half team all year. There have been a couple of games where CAK took control from the beginning and carried it throughout, but several times this year, they have fallen behind, only to storm back and win, or in the case of Webb, almost force overtime. This could be a result of CAK playing very few players both ways, excellent conditioning of CAK players, or an indication that CAK needs to be more ready to play from the opening whistle (like the Vols). Possibly it could be some combination of those and other factors. But it has not been out of the norm for CAK to come back from a deficit, and their offense is PERFECT for fast possessions leading to scores, and no realistic deficit is out of reach. Webb, IMO, saw this first hand. This was a highly competitive game, and Webb was fortunate to have speed that CAK could not match, and fortunate that CAK was not able to squeeze out a score at the end to win, and missed the extra point(s) which would have sent this to overtime.

If your post had been that Webb was the best team that night, or that you believe that Webb was the better team, I would not have even addressed the above, but I believe perhaps you inadvertently indicated that Webb was by far the superior team and that somehow CAK managed some lucky late scores to make a game of it. This was simply not the case. This was a competitive game from start to finish and literally could have gone either way.

Regarding the DCA / Webb game, it is all about match ups. DCA was a horrible match up against CAK's aerial attack. Had we been a running team, AND had they had their 235 lb 3 year starter at MLB who was out for the game, the outcome may have been very different. Webb MAY be a better match up for DCA for this reason. On the other hand, if DCA does not have enough speed to deal with Webb's speed, OR DCA cannot stop those speedsters before they get through the front 7-8, it will be a Webb blow out IMO. But I believe DCA has a chance in this game IF they can do one of those two things, and force Webb to sustain long TD drives. Having said that, no one runs the Wing T with the precision that Webb does. DCA will have to bring their A game, and they need their starters all back on the field to make it competitive.

Just my opinions, your mileage may vary.

I recognize that Warrior fans may see the CAK / Webb game through Warrior eyes, but I believe you are seeing this game through "Spartan Eyes." Let me explain why I believe that. Disclaimer: I disagree with any Warrior fan who says CAK "should" have won that game. A more accurate view in my opinion is that, "CAK could have very possibly won that game, but didn't."

Your post that CAK scored a couple of times very late after being down 17 paints a picture for those that weren't there and can only read about it that is not accurate, and may not be what you intended. It makes it sound like Webb had a comfortable lead and perhaps had put in their back up players which allowed CAK to get back in the game. This simply is not the case. While Webb substituted from time to time, as did CAK, due to a player getting dinged up, or giving a player a play or two to catch his breath, Webb played their starters by in large all 4 quarters, as did CAK.

The difference in the final score of this game came down to CAK uncharacteristically missing an extra point earlier in the game, which caused them go for two after their next touch down. They missed on the two point attempt. This accounted for the two point deficit that prevented this game from going into over time. Had CAK not missed the extra point, they would not have gone for two the next touchdown. CAK has not had a systemic problem with extra points this year. This was an anomaly. Had the game gone into over time, who knows what would have happened given high school overtime rules, both teams starting from the 10. Either Webb or CAK may have been the better overall team and yet lost in a HS overtime. Happens all the time that the best team does not win in overtime, and it could have gone either way.

IMO, Webb's strength was tremendous speed from the 8th grade track star and a couple of other players. I believe CAK "won more plays" and had more sustained drives for scores, while Webb would get stopped for a play or two, and then one of their speedsters would break through and CAK had no one on the field that could catch them. This is all part of the game, but my point is that CAK was effective against Webb, not dominated by them. CAK simply had no answer for the tremendous speed Webb has, yet came very close to forcing over time. Both teams scored 5 TD's.

CAK only plays a couple of players both ways. Perhaps this has contributed to CAK being a second half team all year. There have been a couple of games where CAK took control from the beginning and carried it throughout, but several times this year, they have fallen behind, only to storm back and win, or in the case of Webb, almost force overtime. This could be a result of CAK playing very few players both ways, excellent conditioning of CAK players, or an indication that CAK needs to be more ready to play from the opening whistle (like the Vols). Possibly it could be some combination of those and other factors. But it has not been out of the norm for CAK to come back from a deficit, and their offense is PERFECT for fast possessions leading to scores, and no realistic deficit is out of reach. Webb, IMO, saw this first hand. This was a highly competitive game, and Webb was fortunate to have speed that CAK could not match, and fortunate that CAK was not able to squeeze out a score at the end to win, and missed the extra point(s) which would have sent this to overtime.

If your post had been that Webb was the best team that night, or that you believe that Webb was the better team, I would not have even addressed the above, but I believe perhaps you inadvertently indicated that Webb was by far the superior team and that somehow CAK managed some lucky late scores to make a game of it. This was simply not the case. This was a competitive game from start to finish and literally could have gone either way.

Regarding the DCA / Webb game, it is all about match ups. DCA was a horrible match up against CAK's aerial attack. Had we been a running team, AND had they had their 235 lb 3 year starter at MLB who was out for the game, the outcome may have been very different. Webb MAY be a better match up for DCA for this reason. On the other hand, if DCA does not have enough speed to deal with Webb's speed, OR DCA cannot stop those speedsters before they get through the front 7-8, it will be a Webb blow out IMO. But I believe DCA has a chance in this game IF they can do one of those two things, and force Webb to sustain long TD drives. Having said that, no one runs the Wing T with the precision that Webb does. DCA will have to bring their A game, and they need their starters all back on the field to make it competitive.

Just my opinions, your mileage may vary.

I value that post. Very detailed. I didn't mean to mislead readers to think Webb took their staters out. Rather that maybe up 17 Webb lost a little focus and didn't finish the game strong. For instance Webb was driving late while up by 10 and one more first down would have ended the entire game or lead to Webb winning by 17 or more. Webb doesn't convert and CAK scores quickly and goes for onside kick.

I meant overal this year I believe Webb is slightly better because I think the still young team lost a little focus when getting a 17 point lead. I also say this because of how CAK barley squeaked by Grace late in the fourth quarter in a game Grace led the entire way. Webb then embarrassed Grace 41-0 making it a mercy rule.

When you have a passing offense like CAK on the high school level they can get back into the game very quickly and win a lot of games because most teams especially in their classification don't have the athletes on the back end to cover those receivers.

Historically Webb until last year always shut that passing attack down especially 2007, 2008, and 2013. Webb simply had better athletes on the back end and were much more physical. Two things that other teams on CAK's schedule (minus Alcoa) simply can't do.

The two years CAK did have the athletes to matchup against Webb. 2011 and 2012 Josh Smith vs Todd Kelly Jr. CAK elected not to play for whatever reason. So we will never know that outcome although my prediction is likely a split those two years.

I do agree that the DCA game is a different matchup just like Grace was. But I see Webb literally running past them this game.

I value that post. Very detailed. I didn't mean to mislead readers to think Webb took their staters out. Rather that maybe up 17 Webb lost a little focus and didn't finish the game strong. For instance Webb was driving late while up by 10 and one more first down would have ended the entire game or lead to Webb winning by 17 or more. Webb doesn't convert and CAK scores quickly and goes for onside kick.

I meant overal this year I believe Webb is slightly better because I think the still young team lost a little focus when getting a 17 point lead. I also say this because of how CAK barley squeaked by Grace late in the fourth quarter in a game Grace led the entire way. Webb then embarrassed Grace 41-0 making it a mercy rule.

When you have a passing offense like CAK on the high school level they can get back into the game very quickly and win a lot of games because most teams especially in their classification don't have the athletes on the back end to cover those receivers.

Historically Webb until last year always shut that passing attack down especially 2007, 2008, and 2013. Webb simply had better athletes on the back end and were much more physical. Two things that other teams on CAK's schedule (minus Alcoa) simply can't do.

The two years CAK did have the athletes to matchup against Webb. 2011 and 2012 Josh Smith vs Todd Kelly Jr. CAK elected not to play for whatever reason. So we will never know that outcome although my prediction is likely a split those two years.

I do agree that the DCA game is a different matchup just like Grace was. But I see Webb literally running past them this game.

Stop number 6 and you will have a great chance beating DCA. CAK put 9 in the box and he had 175 yards. FRA did the same and he had 394.

DCA is banged up so its going to be a challenge.

I have heard that the DCA back is a special player and hope he has a good game.   If any D2A school wants to beat Webb's system, they better have a passing attack that can score 28-35 points in 35-40 plays or less or you will never catch up.  Your offense wont have the ball as many plays as you do in a regular game.    Are there exceptions to that rule,  very few.  

I have heard that the DCA back is a special player and hope he has a good game. If any D2A school wants to beat Webb's system, they better have a passing attack that can score 28-35 points in 35-40 plays or less or you will never catch up. Your offense wont have the ball as many plays as you do in a regular game. Are there exceptions to that rule, very few.

Interesting take. DCA runs the ball very well too. Webb has scored off of explosive plays and so has DCA. DCAs passing game is pretty good and have had success throwing it this year. Had they connected on a few of the deep balls against CAK when WRs were yards behind the DBs it would have been a different game. Im sure the Webb coaches saw the film and know the WR's and tall TE for DCA are dangerous.

Webb is the heavy favorite here. DCA is banged up a bit and will have to play a complete game to win. Both teams will have explosive plays offensively like they have all year. The key is which team can keep those to a minimum and not turn the ball over. We've all heard of Webbs fastest team ever but #6 has ran past defenses and very fast D1 type athletes all season. I am certain Webbs coaches know this. The film from this year, as well as last years game aganist Webb, shows it.

I look forward to seeing this one. Both teams are built to make long runs in the playoffs so maybe its only the first of two times they meet this year?

Edited by Playerscoach

I wish I could be at this game. I liked DCA's speed with #6. I don't know that he is a nationally ranked track star like Webb's 8th grader, but he is clearly faster than anyone on CAK's team this year. DCA's QB and passing game is very effective in the short yardage patterns, but (with only seeing one game) I didn't get the feeling that it was dangerous on longer patterns, and it is not as detailed as say CAK's passing attack. CAK's corners have a long way to go, and the only thing that saves us is a very good deep safety who can play the run and the pass, and a good pass rush to limit time for the QB to find his target. DCA had receivers running right past CAK's corners but couldn't connect. To me, they were very balanced run / pass but only on short pass patterns. If they can connect on a few long balls too, they may give Webb a game. Webb has more overall team speed by far in my estimation, with perhaps only #6 on DCA that can run with Webb's fastest 3-4 guys. I believe Webb is the better overall team, just judging from seeing each one only once. If DCA was coming in a full strength I would give the edge to Webb, but with DCA banged up, I agree that Webb has to be the heavy favorite. But that is why they play the game on the field and not on paper....

Edit: One final observation: 2 long trips to Knoxville, 2 weeks in a row does not help DCA at all.

Should be a fun game to watch, especially the first 2-3 quarters, and who knows, DCA may connect on some long balls and give Webb a tough 4 quarters.

Good luck and safe wishes to both teams!