15.  Bartlett at Germantown

16.  Collierville at Houston

17.  CBHS at Briarcrest

18.  Fayette Academy at St. George's

19.  Kirby vs Central at Crump

20.  Kingsbury vs Millington at Melrose

21.  Whitehaven vs White Station at Fairgrounds

I'll take this one folks.

Yes, It's been like this for many decades. When Whitehaven isn't playing at Whitehaven Memorial Stadium, some of the neighboring schools will play one of their opponents there on that night. That neighboring school will be credited with a HOME game. Whitehaven's field will often times be the home field for Mitchell High School, Hillcrest High School, and sometime Fairley High School. It's like that throughout the City. Whitehaven is fortunate to even have a field located at the school. We aren't the only school that does this. Essentially every school withing the city's limits, that is a Division 1 school does this if they are fortunate enough to have a field at their school. There aren't a lot of them. Raleigh Egypt, BTW, Oakhaven, Central, and Kirby are the ones that I can name off of the top of my head that have stadiums located at the school. Many, if not most, don't have stadiums at their school. Melrose stadium isn't actually located at the school ... it's at a elementary school that is not far from Melrose. 

There are several stadiums that are home field for several schools, but they aren't located at any school. Halle Stadium, the Fairgrounds Stadium, J.P. Freeman (JP Freeman is a middle school), Greenhill Stadium (been closed down since the flood of 2011 after it was submerged under water for over 2 months ... fried all of the electrical systems and hasn't been used since for a high school football game).

I may have missed one, but you get the idea. It's been like this for quite a while, for as long as I can remember. The schools in the county and in the smaller surrounding municipalities are different. They all have stadiums at their schools. This only applies to the Division 1 schools inside the Memphis City limits.

@ FBfan26

I think it's as ridiculous as you do. Not only is it ridiculous I am starting to believe it Was racially motivated back in the day. Whitehaven has it's own field as it was once a predominately white Suburban school before the 1970s. The only traditional Black schools that have their own fields are Booker T. Washington and Melrose (Southwind too I guess but see the caveat at the end) and as K-Dub said Melrose Stadium is walking distance (maybe a little less than a mile) but off of the campus nonetheless. Westwood used to have their own stadium but by the time I started playing in the early 2000s I believe that it had been long gone. There are numerous Traditional Black schools that have a space for an on-campus field which is normally where they practice (bleachers and light poles would be needed) but for some weird reason (Racist in my humble opinion) they have never been given the resources to build them up. Not only that, it seems as if no one asks 'why not'? Except me.

Sports help build community pride in a school not to mention the fundraising opportunities that come from having your own field and track if possible but in Memphis their are far too many programs that have travel to "HOME" games. If I ever get in front of the right people I'll ask the question 'why not?' Why not give Trezevant or Hamilton their own real Home Field? Why not allow them to give jobs to some students to tend the grounds to learn a trade that gives them real life experience and the ability to work for themselves upon graduation? Why must the "city" schools that are Traditionally Black continue sharing when there is space to put up  2-4 poles and 500-1000 seat bleachers and simply MOVE the games to bigger fields if the coaches/ADs think the match up dictates such? It doesn't seem like rocket science but again I think I know EXACTLY why Memphis has this issue and I am willing to change it if/when I get into a position to change it.

Sorry for the rant but it is what it is.

p.s.  Crump which is Central's Home field was also a former Traditionally White school, along with Kirby and Oakhaven I am sure was also a former Traditionally White school as well as Raleigh-Egypt ... That's why they currently have on-campus fields... Southwind was built to take a significant Middle Class and Upper Middle Class Black population away from Germantown High. They are the only newer school I can think of that has a stadium that wasn't Traditionally White at any time.

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

@ FBfan26

I think it's as ridiculous as you do. Not only is it ridiculous I am starting to believe it Was racially motivated back in the day. Whitehaven has it's own field as it was once a predominately white Suburban school before the 1970s. The only traditional Black schools that have their own fields are Booker T. Washington and Melrose (Southwind too I guess but see the caveat at the end) and as K-Dub said Melrose Stadium is walking distance (maybe a little less than a mile) but off of the campus nonetheless. Westwood used to have their own stadium but by the time I started playing in the early 2000s I believe that it had been long gone. There are numerous Traditional Black schools that have a space for an on-campus field which is normally where they practice (bleachers and light poles would be needed) but for some weird reason (Racist in my humble opinion) they have never been given the resources to build them up. Not only that, it seems as if no one asks 'why not'? Except me.

Sports help build community pride in a school not to mention the fundraising opportunities that come from having your own field and track if possible but in Memphis their are far too many programs that have travel to "HOME" games. If I ever get in front of the right people I'll ask the question 'why not?' Why not give Trezevant or Hamilton their own real Home Field? Why not allow them to give jobs to some students to tend the grounds to learn a trade that gives them real life experience and the ability to work for themselves upon graduation? Why must the "city" schools that are Traditionally Black continue sharing when there is space to put up 2-4 poles and 500-1000 seat bleachers and simply MOVE the games to bigger fields if the coaches/ADs think the match up dictates such? It doesn't seem like rocket science but again I think I know EXACTLY why Memphis has this issue and I am willing to change it if/when I get into a position to change it.

Sorry for the rant but it is what it is.

p.s. Crump which is Central's Home field was also a former Traditionally White school, along with Kirby and Oakhaven I am sure was also a former Traditionally White school as well as Raleigh-Egypt ... That's why they currently have on-campus fields... Southwind was built to take a significant Middle Class and Upper Middle Class Black population away from Germantown High. They are the only newer school I can think of that has a stadium that wasn't Traditionally White at any time.

That totally makes since!! So i have another question. Coaches up here in Metro Nash area are responsible for there own fields. Is it the same there? Do the other teams have to pay to use it? I really help you can change that because it's not right.

That totally makes since!! So i have another question. Coaches up here in Metro Nash area are responsible for there own fields. Is it the same there? Do the other teams have to pay to use it? I really help you can change that because it's not right.

No. The City and/or Shelby Co. Schools are responsible for the upkeep of the fields. We're fortunate to have gotten the Field Turf as we have always had an inconsistent grounds keeper even though we loved 'Baby Brother' to death. I can re-call one or two times that Dr. Hunter, who was once Coach Hunter, made the team clean the Home Side bleachers but that was for the grounds keeper or the custodial crew I believe.