2016 Autozone Liberty Bowl High School All-Star Game

kwc

WLMT CW 30 to televise AutoZone HS all-star game

WLMT CW 30 will televise this year's AutoZone Liberty Bowl High School All-Star game, presented by ARS/Conway Services and the Tennessee Highway Safety Office.

The event – now in its 15th season â€“ features the top 80 seniors from 51 public and private schools in the Memphis area. This year's game will take place on Dec. 10 at Stokes Stadium on the campus of Memphis University School.

"We're excited to announce this new partnership with CW 30," said Steve Ehrhart, the executive director of the AutoZone Liberty Bowl. "The AutoZone Liberty Bowl High School All-Star football game continues its tradition of showcasing the top players in the Memphis area and now football fans throughout the Memphis/Mid-South area will have the opportunity of watching the college stars of tomorrow in their final high school game."

The coaches for this year's game will be announced Wednesday during a noon luncheon at the Westin Hotel downtown.

Edited by kwc

Jones, Rocconi to coach AutoZone High School All-Stars

636111792584111468-0821-malo-John-Varlas John Varlas , john.varlas@commercialappeal.com
5:21 p.m. CDT October 5, 2016

636112864510126980-Joe-Rocconi.JPG

(Photo: The Commercial Appeal files)

Football coaching - especially on the high school level - has a way of keeping one humble. And no one knows that better than the coaches at the 15th AutoZone Liberty Bowl High School All-Star game, Joe Rocconi of White Station and Cordova's Anthony Jones.

Rocconi's down-to-earth moment came when he told his wife he had been named to coach the Red team at the game that takes place Dec. 10 at 2:30 p.m. at Memphis University School.

636112867242016492-Anthony-Jones-Cordova

Cordova head coach Anthony Jones during pre-season practice. 

(Photo: Mark Weber/The Commercial Appeal files)

"She's my biggest fan. Well, she's my only fan," Rocconi said during Wednesday's announcement at the Westin Hotel downtown. "I told her I was named to coach in the game  and she said, 'really?' And I said, 'well, yeah.' And then she said, 'so they didn't have anybody else available?'

"It's good when you have a wife that keeps you from being caught up in things. I'm excited but I'm also very humbled. You look at some of the coaches that have coached in this game like (Whitehaven's) Rodney Saulsberry or my old coach at Collierville Paul Cox. What an honor."

Jones, whose Cordova team is undefeated and ranked second in The Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen and fifth in the state in 6A heading into Friday's game against - ironically enough - White Station, is a self-described small boy from inner-city Memphis who grew up with football dreams.

"So many coaches that I admired from afar, like Bobby Alston from MUS," he said. "And then the Whitehaven football program, you always wanted to beat them but you never could as a player or a coach. When I got to college, I knew I wasn't going to be good enough to make it to the NFL. 

"But as a coach - and I think I can speak for coach Rocconi - you just want to help young men. That's our mission, our true calling. I'm very humbled to be coach the Blue team."

Both coaches had previously served as assistants in the game, which showcases the tremendous high school football talent in the area.

"I think the quote I always use is, 'Dang, that kid can fly," said Rocconi. "Or, 'Dang, that kid is huge.'"

Assisting Rocconi on the Red team are Chester Ford of Melrose, Wooddale's Jerome Griffin, Will Hudgens of Houston, Kevin Patterson of Fairley and Northpoint's Greg Wallace. The Blue assistants are David Carter of St. George's, Carl Coleman of Manassas, Preston Harris of Douglass, Brighton's Robin Jacobs and Arlington's Adam Sykes.

This year's game will be televised on WLMT CW 30 and broadcast on Sports 56. The series is tied 7-7 following last year's 18-14 victory by the Red team. 

Edited by kwc

Will it be a podcast on computer for us folks who do not live near Memphis?

If ALL of the various 'All Star' games got more exposure it would only help the entire state when is comes to football recognition.

I think sports 56 will have the game on their live stream that day.so you could likely get the radio coverage out of the area but not the television.

• 3 weeks later...

I think sports 56 will have the game on their live stream that day.so you could likely get the radio coverage out of the area but not the television.

You know ... I've listened to this game over the radio, but I've never tried to stream it. It has been my experience, that the local radio stations web sites don't stream the live broadcasts of the local high school football games. However, I'm not 100% sure that all of them are like that.

LOD, It probably wouldn't hurt to try to log onto the 56-WHBQ web page at the time of the game and hit the 'Listen Live' link. What do you have to lose?

Edited by kwc