Schools possibly moving up in classification.

smokefb

I think it's just one classification one as well. I know Memphis East is 2A now, sorry the way I said that seemed like I was saying they would be in 4A too. The multiplier rule for privates is where the multiple class jump comes in, not for publics electing to play up in classification. I may be wrong though, that's just my interpretation from all I am reading. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking Memphis east had a football co op agreement with Soulsville. Too bad the TSSAA does not have the guts to add Soulsville numbers to East numbers fort football. It would be the right thing to do and it would put them in 3A where they really belong. However I don't see Memphis east growing a set and playing up in both football and HOOPS

Good grief. Lets wait and see what they decide to do. Im pretty sure they have a set bigger than your team and it sounds like you know it.

Good grief. Lets wait and see what they decide to do. Im pretty sure they have a set bigger than your team and it sounds like you know it.

teams with co o.o agreements should have the co o.o schools numbers attached to their own. That should be the rule especially if you make private schools in D 1 count imaginary players in their numbers co o.o schools should have to count REAL STUDENTS walking the hall's.

The multiplier was started after proven studies were conducted on participation rates. I am not sure if coops should have similar counts but it's different, just because it's available doesn't mean students from the second school are playing or are at a meaningful rate.

and just because a kid goes to a private school does not mean He/she is there to play sports. Bottom line is that schools who have co op agreements do have a larger pool to draw from and those kids don't count against a schools totals. Co op schools have an advantage that many claim privates do yet privates are the only ones paying the price with a multiplier.

and just because a kid goes to a private school does not mean He/she is there to play sports. Bottom line is that schools who have co op agreements do have a larger pool to draw from and those kids don't count against a schools totals. Co op schools have an advantage that many claim privates do yet privates are the only ones paying the price with a multiplier.

As Indian said , it is a proven fact that a big percentage of students do play sports at the privates. Thats how they come up with multiplier. It is not fair to blame East for something TSSAA does. Especially if they play up on their on which I think East will.  My point was you were accusing East of something that they have not done yet because you do not want to have to play them.

As Indian said , it is a proven fact that a big percentage of students do play sports at the privates. Thats how they come up with multiplier. It is not fair to blame East for something TSSAA does. Especially if they play up on their on which I think East will. My point was you were accusing East of something that they have not done yet because you do not want to have to play them.

unless the information I read was incorrect, they do have a co-op agreement with another school. They are not being accused of anything by me. That is a simple fact. My personal opinion is that the real numbers from a co-op school should count when determining class size just as some feel that imaginary players should be added to a private schools count that wants to stay in D 1. This applies to Memphis East AND any other school that co-op with another school for football or any other sport. And please don't get me started on the open transfer rule Memphis schools get to take advantage of. I have not seen any I indication that East will play up. If they do in football and basketball I will get in line and say it was the right thing to do. I don't blame East I blame the TSSAA for creating a playing field that is not level for many schools....public and private. East just happens to be the team we are talking about. Edited by ReitzFan

The multiplier was started after proven studies were conducted on participation rates. I am not sure if coops should have similar counts but it's different, just because it's available doesn't mean students from the second school are playing or are at a meaningful rate.

I've got an easy solution for these situations. If a co-op school has 100 students and 10 of these go play football at the other school. That means 10% of their enrollment is participating. Multiply the school's enrollment that is getting the extra players by 10%. If that school had 350 kids then that means you add 35 students to their enrollment numbers. Edited by TheAmbassador

A lot has obviously been talked about in this classification issue. Public/private, moving up a class, co-op students, rural/city, etc. let me throw another bone in on this: A lot of schools may be effected with higher enrollment based on their virtual classes or programs that are offered. Most school systems do not allow students to participate in extracurricular activities if they are virtual HS kids because they only attend "school" for 1/2 a day, yet they are counted against their #s. Ponder on that.............GO!