- Division I
- Football (six classes, split evenly)
- Basketball, Baseball, Softball (three classes, split evenly)
- Volleyball (three classes, split evenly by participating schools)
- Soccer (three classes, split evenly by participating schools)
- Cross Country, Track & Field, Golf, Tennis (two classes, split evenly by participating schools)
- Wrestling (two classes based on basketball classes with A & AA combined)
- Bowling (one class)
- Division II
Schools will have until Noon central time on October 25, 2016 to notify the state office of their wish to move up in any of the above classification plans.
Once the deadline passes, the state office staff, with input from Board members, will set districts and regions and post them to the TSSAA website when complete. Schools that disagree with their placement will have the opportunity to request an appeal before the Board of Control at the November scheduled meeting.
Scheduling meetings will take place after the November meeting of the Board of Control.