Late whistles

MountainTroll

Has anybody else noticed the refs being slow to whistle a play dead, or is it just the SE TN refs?

I've noticed a lot of plays that end in kind of a rugby scrum, and the refs just let the play continue. If the pile moves forward, they give you the yards, but if the pile moves back, they mark the forward progress.

I understand what they are doing, and I'll grant you that it sometimes results in some extra yards and even a critical first down.

My concern is that it often results in a fumble. When you have 4-5 defensive players standing a guy up, it is easy for several of them to start trying to strip the ball loose. I've seen several times this year where the ball would come flying out of the scrum, long after I thought the play should have been whistled dead, only to be picked up and ruled a fumble. Looks just like a rugby match.

The other concern is player safety. We've had one guy get his nose broken in a scrum, and another got his knee rolled. A couple of times, have had helmets come flying out of the scrum.

It is hard for a ball carrier to protect the ball while also defending himself from what really amounts to an assault by 4-5 defenders.

Thoughts?

Has anybody else noticed the refs being slow to whistle a play dead, or is it just the SE TN refs?

I've noticed a lot of plays that end in kind of a rugby scrum, and the refs just let the play continue. If the pile moves forward, they give you the yards, but if the pile moves back, they mark the forward progress.

I understand what they are doing, and I'll grant you that it sometimes results in some extra yards and even a critical first down.

My concern is that it often results in a fumble. When you have 4-5 defensive players standing a guy up, it is easy for several of them to start trying to strip the ball loose. I've seen several times this year where the ball would come flying out of the scrum, long after I thought the play should have been whistled dead, only to be picked up and ruled a fumble. Looks just like a rugby match.

The other concern is player safety. We've had one guy get his nose broken in a scrum, and another got his knee rolled. A couple of times, have had helmets come flying out of the scrum.

It is hard for a ball carrier to protect the ball while also defending himself from what really amounts to an assault by 4-5 defenders.

Thoughts?

Yes its ridiculous how long they let it go.Seen a lot of knee injuries because of this also.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts?

WE been on the other side of the stick. Our RB got stood up by at least 6 ro 7guys and ended up braking free and running a 60 yard TD that basically woke the team up but I understand what your saying.