Rhea County Off-season

kamerb

The Rhea County Touchdown Club has a new Rhea Co Football App out under Knowtice in the App Store. Just create an account then search Rhea on it.

It's pretty cool they have the complete schedule from today all the way through the end of the season.

They have a couple the fall scrimmages already posted and the Jamboree.

Rather impressive outing from Rhea County considering the circumstances.

Agreed. Having the scrimmage moved to Oaklands indoor field changed some things. Only having 20-25 yds to play on and they were a little quick with the whistles when the players got close to the sideline for safety reasons. That sideline with the stands was packed. Props to Oakland for having a indoor facility so this one could happen because it was like a monsoon about an hour before the scrimmage.

Overall both teams should have good seasons coming up. Rhea looked better overall compared to last week. Defense looked very good today. The offense is still coming along but I can see the potential in the new offense.

Oakland is the Proto typical Murfreesboro team big, fast, and athletic. I love playing Oakland in the preseason they are a very good measuring stick to see where we are at the end of spring. Playing Oakland definite help get use prepared for teams like Cleveland, Blackman, Catholic, etc.

Please elaborate BK, I wasn't able to attend. Details?

Offense: Even though we never scored an actual touchdown on Oakland, there were a few plays that certainly would have been scores had the ref not blown them dead due to the safety of the fans watching the scrimmage. I counted two or three such plays, which would have actually evened the score up because Oakland scored twice when playing our 1st and 2nd string guys and had one blown dead early that would have been a touchdown in a real-game scenario. Our O-Line faced probably the 2nd best defensive lineman it will face all year in #79 (Catholic's OT/DE Cade Mays being the #1) and proved to be a great measuring stick as to how well our line will be once summer workouts start. While he did make some big plays, he only made one (the sack on Zach) easily. The rest had to be earned. The running backs looked more than capable for the second straight Saturday, but I think #3 Chris Sturgeon took top honors this time, with #22 Simon being bottled up more often than not. Woody was hurt pretty bad, and I was hearing that it was either his elbow or forearm that was injured. Tough break for the kid after having such a good scrimmage last week and an impressive start to the Oakland scrimmage. Passing game looked alright, but most effective play was the fullback screen that would have went for 6 in a game time situation. Overall surprising outing from the offense compared to previous years when we would score, but not as many as Oakland.

Defense: This was the best surprise of all from the scrimmage. All of the 1st team and most of the 2nd team defense stood their ground quite well against the 6A powerhouse, forcing multiple stops on Oakland where they failed to score during their offensive drives. They had two true touchdowns, one was a QB keep by a 5'7 quarterback that ran like a bullet and hid behind his blockers most of the way to the end zone. The other was a pass across the middle of the defense that was well defended, but the quartback (different from the one who scored on the keeper) put the ball right where it needed to be. The defensive front looked deep and talented with #84 Evans and #47 Reynolds being the top two and #52 Smith, #57 Dugger, and #72 Shelton not being far behind. Linebackers looked strong once again, and am liking the move of Jay Graham #44 to corner more and more every time I watch them practice or play. I was also glad to see #6 Cooley and #12 Pendergrass (who is a safety now) back on the field after finishing out their baseball season. The secondary was not tested too much, but was tested more than last Saturday at Franklin County. They looked capable, but still remain a group in need of some maturation and attention before the season rolls around.

I also heard many Oakland people comparing our scrimmage with them to their scrimmage with Catholic, and they all said that they felt us to be more talented and deeper than the Irish, who they blew out at UTC a week or so ago. While Catholic's star offensive line was without its stars in the Mays brothers and Bryn Tucker in the scrimmage, it still makes one think about the talent around them if we can pretty much play the team that mopped the floor with the majority of their team to a tie.

Overall, it has me hopeful that we are in for another strong year.

Edited by kamerb

Offense: Even though we never scored an actual touchdown on Oakland, there were a few plays that certainly would have been scores had the ref not blown them dead due to the safety of the fans watching the scrimmage. I counted two or three such plays, which would have actually evened the score up because Oakland scored twice when playing our 1st and 2nd string guys and had one blown dead early that would have been a touchdown in a real-game scenario. Our O-Line faced probably the 2nd best defensive lineman it will face all year in #79 (Catholic's OT/DE Cade Mays being the #1) and proved to be a great measuring stick as to how well our line will be once summer workouts start. While he did make some big plays, he only made one (the sack on Zach) easily. The rest had to be earned. The running backs looked more than capable for the second straight Saturday, but I think #3 Chris Sturgeon took top honors this time, with #22 Simon being bottled up more often than not. Woody was hurt pretty bad, and I was hearing that it was either his elbow or forearm that was injured. Tough break for the kid after having such a good scrimmage last week and an impressive start to the Oakland scrimmage. Passing game looked alright, but most effective play was the fullback screen that would have went for 6 in a game time situation. Overall surprising outing from the offense compared to previous years when we would score, but not as many as Oakland.

Defense: This was the best surprise of all from the scrimmage. All of the 1st team and most of the 2nd team defense stood their ground quite well against the 6A powerhouse, forcing multiple stops on Oakland where they failed to score during their offensive drives. They had two true touchdowns, one was a QB keep by a 5'7 quarterback that ran like a bullet and hid behind his blockers most of the way to the end zone. The other was a pass across the middle of the defense that was well defended, but the quartback (different from the one who scored on the keeper) put the ball right where it needed to be. The defensive front looked deep and talented with #84 Evans and #47 Reynolds being the top two and #52 Smith, #57 Dugger, and #72 Shelton not being far behind. Linebackers looked strong once again, and am liking the move of Jay Graham #44 to corner more and more every time I watch them practice or play. I was also glad to see #6 Cooley and #12 Pendergrass (who is a safety now) back on the field after finishing out their baseball season. The secondary was not tested too much, but was tested more than last Saturday at Franklin County. They looked capable, but still remain a group in need of some maturation and attention before the season rolls around.

I also heard many Oakland people comparing our scrimmage with them to their scrimmage with Catholic, and they all said that they felt us to be more talented and deeper than the Irish, who they blew out at UTC a week or so ago. While Catholic's star offensive line was without its stars in the Mays brothers and Bryn Tucker in the scrimmage, it still makes one think about the talent around them if we can pretty much play the team that mopped the floor with the majority of their team to a tie.

Thanks for the breakdown, like I said wasn't able to make it but I knew you guys would fill us in. Sounds promising.

Not sure where you got your info on the Catholic scrimmage. But the Irish was missing 5 key starters that will contribute on both sides of the ball. When both teams had their 1st teams on the field. There was definitely no mopping of any floor going on. The Irish took the ball straight down the field on the first possession and scored. After that Oakland decides to start blitzing every play which was I was told was agreed upon before the scrimmage that neither team would Blitz. When the Irish 2nd string O and D was on the field. It definitely was a different story. They got worked pretty good. Should be a interesting yr in 5A. Good luck to RC and all teams this yr...

Not sure where you got your info on the Catholic scrimmage. But the Irish was missing 5 key starters that will contribute on both sides of the ball. When both teams had their 1st teams on the field. There was definitely no mopping of any floor going on. The Irish took the ball straight down the field on the first possession and scored. After that Oakland decides to start blitzing every play which was I was told was agreed upon before the scrimmage that neither team would Blitz. When the Irish 2nd string O and D was on the field. It definitely was a different story. They got worked pretty good. Should be a interesting yr in 5A. Good luck to RC and all teams this yr...

Catholic graduated a lot of seniors from last years team and this spring they had a lot of key players out with injuries (Fluker RB/LB, Mitchell WR/CB, Brown RB/LB as well as their big O-Lineman). Nothing wrong with building and developing depth with the returning guys. The offensive may not be as explosive and as uptempo as last years team but should still be very good. Tough non district schedule will be challenging.

• 3 weeks later...

With the dead period approaching after this week, it has me itching for some Rhea County football!! Exactly two months from today, we kick off against Cleveland under those lights at Eagle Stadium! #EaglePride #Team44

Edited by kamerb

Does anyone know of any players getting recruiting looks this off-season? After seeing the highest rated player from Rhea County in nearly a decade sign with Memphis as well as Eddie Davis and Zach McCarthy sign to play at the next level, how many seniors this year have a shot at furthering their football careers in college?

So what you are essentially saying is that all things equal(quick whistles for safety reasons) is that Rhea beat up on Oakland's 1st and 2nd team by scoring a few touchdowns and Rhea only giving up 3(2 legit and 1 quick whistle)??? I got Rhea in the 5A SC game this year! I give them the slight advantage due to that great Tackle eligible play! Good luck this year RC!!!

• 2 weeks later...