Dobyns Bennett 2017 Schedule

maroonpride

Hey BVD, I can name one of those 6 losses! Boom! In all seriousness though, I see Greeneville winning this game by 14 points. Everyone mark down what I say now, barring no significant injuries to key players, it will be Greeneville vs Marshall County to go to state in 4a. Whoever has home field will win

Swipes, between you and Blazer, yall are gona have my head so " swelled up and full of hockey", that I wont be able to fit it thru the gates at Burley stadium...haha. question for you.....Have we met? Do we know each other? If not, I would love to correct that.

We haven't officially met BVD.  Ive seen you at some of the Greeneville games and was a three year starter and Captain.  My class was the one that got Greeneville moving in the right direction and started the run of 10 straight Conference Championships.  Ive lived in Knoxville the past 10 years and have coached Linebackers at Lenoir City before I got into Real Estate so I try to make it back as much as I can.  Ive helped with camps when a bunch of these current devils were coming up in the school system and know the coaching staff like they are my family.  Ones a Greene Devil always a Greene Devil.  Im sure Ill meet you this year

On 6/21/2017 at 4:44 PM, Swipes said:

We haven't officially met BVD.  Ive seen you at some of the Greeneville games and was a three year starter and Captain.  My class was the one that got Greeneville moving in the right direction and started the run of 10 straight Conference Championships.  Ive lived in Knoxville the past 10 years and have coached Linebackers at Lenoir City before I got into Real Estate so I try to make it back as much as I can.  Ive helped with camps when a bunch of these current devils were coming up in the school system and know the coaching staff like they are my family.  Ones a Greene Devil always a Greene Devil.  Im sure Ill meet you this year

sure hope to meet you. It's always a pleasure to meet former Devils. Alot of people just assume that I went to GHS because im such a huge fan, but the sad reality of it is I graduated from Millbrook High in Raleigh NC after going to Worthington High In Ohio for freshman and soph years. Both schools were well over 2000 in enrollment back then ( 81-85 ). My mom dad and brother, who  most on here know as batman, all went to GHS, so before mom divorced dad and remarried my step dad, I was raised to be a devil from early on. Even as a student on Worthington and Raleigh, I still remember coming back to Greeneville a few times during school and making it to see guys like Andy Moon and Frankie Play for the Devils. My papaw was all about those Greene Devils as well, so he use to bring me and my cousin in from the glendale community of Greene County to watch the Devils play football and basketball. And finally, before being moved away, i lived directly across from GHS at 211 Tusculum blvd up on the hill, so I suppose you could say that as long as i've lived in Greeneville, no matter my age, I've always been "close to the program". 

This year I hope will be yet another memorable one.

On 6/25/2017 at 4:53 AM, BVDevil said:

sure hope to meet you. It's always a pleasure to meet former Devils. Alot of people just assume that I went to GHS because im such a huge fan, but the sad reality of it is I graduated from Millbrook High in Raleigh NC after going to Worthington High In Ohio for freshman and soph years. Both schools were well over 2000 in enrollment back then ( 81-85 ). My mom dad and brother, who  most on here know as batman, all went to GHS, so before mom divorced dad and remarried my step dad, I was raised to be a devil from early on. Even as a student on Worthington and Raleigh, I still remember coming back to Greeneville a few times during school and making it to see guys like Andy Moon and Frankie Play for the Devils. My papaw was all about those Greene Devils as well, so he use to bring me and my cousin in from the glendale community of Greene County to watch the Devils play football and basketball. And finally, before being moved away, i lived directly across from GHS at 211 Tusculum blvd up on the hill, so I suppose you could say that as long as i've lived in Greeneville, no matter my age, I've always been "close to the program". 

This year I hope will be yet another memorable one.

I know it's sad about going to Millbrook.Garner made everyone on their athlete teams sad. But I would rather go to millbrook instead of Greeneville tenERsee any day. LOL 

• 4 weeks later...

http://wjhl.com/2017/07/28/dobyns-bennett-football-holds-media-day/

KINGSPORT, TN- Dobyns-Bennett football players shined their shoes and combed their hair for media day at J. Fred Johnson Stadium Friday morning.

Dobyns-Bennett went 6-6 last season. The main focus in 2017 will be at quarterback with dual-threat QB Cole Maupin graduating. Junior Lendon Redwine will be the Indians’ new signal caller. Redwine got some game experience last year, filling in for Maupin when he was hurt.

The Indians will be challenged early in the year with its first three games against Greeneville, Oak Ridge and then the typically late season rivalry match-up with Science Hill coming in week three.

Dobyns-Bennett is returning 13 starters from last year, including 4 on the offensive line. The team feels that unit will be a great strength heading into the season.

“Offensive line is maybe the biggest we’ve had in a while,” said Dobyns-Bennett head coach Graham Clark. “If a cow sees them coming, they go get those ‘eat more chicken’ signs to try and save their lives. I’ve said all summer, Boone Lake’s deeper than we are right now. We’ve got to stay healthy. If we can stay healthy I think this football team can do some good things.

“I’m expecting a great season,” said Redwine. “We have some great experience with the (offensive) line and some great speed on the outside. Didn’t lose much on the offensive side, so I’m expecting a great year and tough competition will make us better.”

Okay , here goes .  Honest and objective as I saw it.

Eliz drove first.  Middle screen for big gain.  Mix of pass and run.  Stalled at 20.  Kicked field goal.

Tribe drove the field, 50/50 pass run.  Scored on short pass.  Betsy exploited secondary for couple long plays , one for TD pass.    Tribe drives again  .  TD run.   Then Tribe drives for third run score.  Final after starters pulled   DB 21 Betsy 9.

Twos and threes from here   Betsy scored twice more, Thunder and lightning cuts it short.  23-21  Betsy.

Summary:

DB offense really clicking , except for five or six drops by receivers.  Oline had their way for the most part and two big running backs are a load.   QB play was solid, hit several nice completions.

Defense looked good against the run, but the pass defense was not adequate.  One starter out, but several players got beat  on mid range to long balls, and appeared confused in coverage.  Plenty to work on, but plenty to be happy about.

Betsy has good QB, and nice set of receivers, and a RB who does a lot of nice things both in run and pass game.   Their lines did not seem as strong as in the past.   Overall , two good teams mixed it up pretty well. 

14 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

The Boone lake remark is very understandable but at the same time should be a concern for any DB fan wondering why ? I think two of the remaining senior  offensive and defensive lineman on the roster,started on their outstanding 9th grade team 3 years ago.

Coaches are all talk at this point in the season...   nobody wants to give away the fact that you have a 4x stud linebacker or something like that, so I think a lot of coaches downplay their teams.      Of course in DB's case there might be a tad more to it this time, someone else feel free to jump in here, but I think DB has lost several assistant coaches recently, right?      Saw in the paper where one went to Crockett High School and I think there are a couple more.       So who knows, if you set the bar low to start and then exceed it then the fans may be happy at the end, versus saying something like "Well now that Maryville is out of R1 we should be mopping up our Region...."

Its really hard to know at this point because everybody keeps it close to the vest.      The opening game vs Greeneville will tell us a lot.      I know that the Devils are hungry for this game, we'll just have to see if DB is as well

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Coaches are all talk at this point in the season...   nobody wants to give away the fact that you have a 4x stud linebacker or something like that, so I think a lot of coaches downplay their teams.      Of course in DB's case there might be a tad more to it this time, someone else feel free to jump in here, but I think DB has lost several assistant coaches recently, right?      Saw in the paper where one went to Crockett High School and I think there are a couple more.       So who knows, if you set the bar low to start and then exceed it then the fans may be happy at the end, versus saying something like "Well now that Maryville is out of R1 we should be mopping up our Region...."

Its really hard to know at this point because everybody keeps it close to the vest.      The opening game vs Greeneville will tell us a lot.      I know that the Devils are hungry for this game, we'll just have to see if DB is as well

I said several years ago that there would be enough talent in this group to compete for a title and I wasn't talking the old big East conference.Once again two left that started on either side of the line 3 years ago and that is " still " one of their strong points when you add in a couple from other classes.You don't have to be a football genius to know this had the makings of a super team . DB still has some very strong running backs and playmakers.Had there been someone who could have known how to use the talent of two potential super skill players that are no longer on the team and help guide them ,wow .A strong point for years has been linebackers at DB and one of the best assistant coaches a couple years ago was coach Holt.Another cluster for him not to be at DB in a bigger , If not much bigger position.