District 11AA 2017

EveryoneFOCUS

It was a long time ago. I've been teaching and coaching at Stewart County for nearly 3 years now. I still live in Ashland City and have friends from Cheatham County. It will always be home. Stewart County has been the best thing to happen for me personally from a career standpoint. I've had the privilege to work for/with a lot of great people and teach some amazing young people at SCHS.

Oh hadnt heard that! I myself am a pastor in Dover now. Been here since June '16... some great members are teachers in SC schools!

I would completely agree that the Fairview coach would be deserving if there had not been a pattern in years past of giving it to the winner of the regular season. The Fairview coach has taken that team from arguably the worst in the district to honestly one of the best. Please take no offense to the "worst in the district" comment. I would also like to combat the comment from another member stating that it really isn't coaching to have the 2nd best player move into your school. I would follow that up with, wasn't it great coaching to continue having your team win when THE best player in the district was out 3 weeks during the peak of the district games??? All in all, it is all water under the bridge. If in the future they decide to go with a coach that has actually done a great job and not automatically give it to the reg season champs that is cool but be consistent.

Congrats to the 4 regional teams! Just bad luck for SC that CPA lost in the semifinals...meaning we will most likely host them in the 1st round of the regionals.

The Fairview - Creekwood matchup was as tight as everyone expected. 3rd time was a charm for Fairview as Bledsoe led the way. Dotson had an ok bounce back game for Creekwood, but wasn't enough to pull out the victory.

Which the main game I was there for was obviously the primetime matchup of Camden & Stewart County. The Rebels have hands down the best on-ball defender in the league with Caselli (which will be discussed at the bottom). He kept Vick contained all game. The problem for SC is not having anyone that could matchup against Diego. Cook played him tough early, but foul trouble allowed him to take over in the 2nd half. Camden's 3rd quarter run to start the half was the momentum shifter they needed.

Granted, no one expected the Rebels to make it to the championship. That in itself is a testament to the hard work and dedication those boys put in every day. I am just glad that we held our own for majority of the game.

Each game Saturday (boys & girls) was close, which allowed for some excitement...that's all we can ask for! #Entertainment

My opinion on the awards...

-Vick hands down MVP of the league...no questions

-Diego should have been Tournament MVP though. If not for him, they don't win against SC in finals

-Hard for me not to be biased on Coach of the Year...because Nick Wallace lost a slew of seniors from last years 2nd place team, plus lost Jacob Rose to injury in game 2 of the season (who can play any position on the floor and average 20 a game). Creekwood lost starters as well...but was Coach of the Year deserving? Its not like they dominated the District. Well Camden did dominate the district...but did coaching actually lead to the 2nd best player moving into town with Diego? Camden already had District 11AA's best player, most guys returning, and had a couple players move into town. Any way you slice it, you can argue for and against just about every coach in the top 4-5 teams...therefore, they just give it to the teams sitting at the top based on record.

-Now for Defensive Player of the Year, this is where I completely DISAGREE. Nothing against Spencer from Montgomery Central, but he is not a great defender. Offensive Player of the Year? I can agree with that if they had such an award for the best offensive guy after MVP. Spencer has been one of the best players in the district, but best pure DEFENDER (like the award states)? Easily Alessandro Casselli. Anyone at the tournament games saw how he dictated the play of two of the top offensive weapons in 11AA. He held Coulter Dotson to 12pts, with 3 of the made baskets being extremely tough shots on great defense. Casselli also held Vick in check to just 14pts, with a few of them coming with Casselli on the bench. Us in Stewart County have watched lock down defense like that all season.

When it comes to the first round regional games, I think Camden truly has the only chance of advancing. And even that isn't a given. District 12AA is just very tough top to bottom, and each of the top 4 could honestly make a solid run to the state tournament.

What are everyone else's opinions on the tournament, awards, & upcoming regional games?

It sounds to me the "typical" good ol boys club wants to keep it as that. As for coach of the year... Camden's coach has been there 4 years now. And for anyone who know anything about sports... you can have all the talent in the world but if you do not have a great coach to lead then you have nothing. How many other schools throughout the years have had kids to move in? Several! He deserved coach of the year because he battled last 4 years and got his team and their community back into basketball. As for the "naysayers" on this blog well you are just that and it is pitiful. If the tables were turned and your coach grew your program over last 4 years you would want him as coach of the year too. It is fine Camden's coach has more pride in his boys, and doesn't need that award although it is safe to say HE MOST CERTAINLY DESERVED IT. Edited by Aprncc17

It sounds to me the "typical" good ol boys club wants to keep it as that. As for coach of the year... Camden's coach has been there 4 years now. And for anyone who know anything about sports... you can have all the talent in the world but if you do not have a great coach to lead then you have nothing. How many other schools throughout the years have had kids to move in? Several! He deserved coach of the year because he battled last 4 years and got his team and their community back into basketball. As for the "naysayers" on this blog well you are just that and it is pitiful. If the tables were turned and your coach grew your program over last 4 years you would want him as coach of the year too. It is fine Camden's coach has more pride in his boys, and doesn't need that award although it is safe to say HE MOST CERTAINLY DESERVED IT.

It sounds to me the "typical" good ol boys club wants to keep it as that. As for coach of the year... Camden's coach has been there 4 years now. And for anyone who know anything about sports... you can have all the talent in the world but if you do not have a great coach to lead then you have nothing. How many other schools throughout the years have had kids to move in? Several! He deserved coach of the year because he battled last 4 years and got his team and their community back into basketball. As for the "naysayers" on this blog well you are just that and it is pitiful. If the tables were turned and your coach grew your program over last 4 years you would want him as coach of the year too. It is fine Camden's coach has more pride in his boys, and doesn't need that award although it is safe to say HE MOST CERTAINLY DESERVED IT.

I would say that Camden's coach has solidified his case for COY with the run in both the district and now especially in the regional tourney! Great in game adjustments especially last night against GC. Can't wait for tomorrow night against CPA to see what he and the Lions have for them. Best of luck!

• Upvote 1

I would say that Camden's coach has solidified his case for COY with the run in both the district and now especially in the regional tourney! Great in game adjustments especially last night against GC. Can't wait for tomorrow night against CPA to see what he and the Lions have for them. Best of luck!

Camden defense not good enough to stop a team like CPA. Congrats to CPA!