.45 sec Shot Clock is it time TSSAA and TN get one?

12thmanGCA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No shot clock. When you have schools in your district twice your size the only hopes a team may have of being competitive is to shorten the game and limit possessions. If the other team is more talented they should be able to press and create turnovers but you take an option away from coaches with less talented teams which would encompass a large number of schools in all classifications. Then you would have to get a shot clock operator which would be another expense for schools as well as purchasing the clock. Then if you have a malfunction in the clock in a high school game what do you do? In college games they usually have a spare clock or backup plan. A lot of schools run on very small budgets in Tennessee It's just an unnecessary expense most schools can't afford. Plus just my opinion it would lead to more bad shots cause the clock is running down which in turn makes for bad basketball. A shot clock to me would just put the advantage even more to the larger schools in the classifications.

Adding a shot clock would give every game an AAU feel of higher scoring and dense defense. I wouldnt mind the addition though. It would force teams to execute better and show who really can coach and what teams are disciplined. I dont call stall ball good coaching at all. No other levels of the game allow a team to stall forever so why should gradeschool levels. If been to a game before when the losing team held the ball 90% of the time but eventually fell 16-12. Imo if you have to hold the ball majority of the game to beat a team you didnt deserve to win anyway. To me stall ball isnt fair to the game or the teams. Of course people say that shock clocks will force bad shots but look at the college teams who get leads and down the stretch they wait until the 15 second mark to run their play, yes sometimes there are bad looks but 45 seconds is enough to find a quality shot, it should never take 2 minutes. 

Edited by TonyG

There are a ton of different directions this could go. First, let me say, that I LOVE the fast paced style of play. However, the game is not played to benefit the fans. So, that really should not be taken into effect. 

The biggest thing this does is takes out ONE piece of strategy for a coach that may not have a team capable of competing for 32 minutes with another team. Now, does that mean that the best team wins every time? Absolutely not. But, that is the cool part of high school basketball. 

Thanks for the responses. I can say I would even meet in the middle. .45 clock for 3 quarters then 4thQ turn it off. That would add to the excitment. My twitter poll so far has 262 votes with 72% for it and 28% against it.......unscientifically the fans have spoken or at least the teams with good players lol

I would like to see a shot clock myself.  When a team stalls it down in order to give themselves a chance, that not basketball to me.  Not saying that I would not do that to try and get a win if it is my only option but its still not basketball.  However, I would like it to be at least 45 seconds

I don't understand why controlling the tempo of the game isn't basketball. Some teams want to play fast some want to play slow. In my opinion part of coaching and stardegy on the high school level is to play at a speed that best utilizes your talent. Even on the college level with the shot clock teams slow down the game. It's not always based on the talent. If a Coach can get the pace slowed down and control the tempo to give his team a better chance to win. That's coaching. It's still Basketball. If a team wants to speed up the game. Press, trap in the half court, pressure the other team, etc... don't sit back in a zone and expect the other team to shoot a 3 at the first opportunity.

Bet if you go to any high school game and time each possession seldom will you get to 45 seconds.