.45 sec Shot Clock is it time TSSAA and TN get one?

12thmanGCA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of the offense if you are well drilled in defensive fundamentals any offense can be defended. If half court brothers you press to speed up game. Teams want to sit in a zone or soft man then complain when teams slow the game. GCA you obviously don't know who your talking to when you say I am dumb. Tempo of a game is controlled by the defense.

Regardless of the offense if you are well drilled in defensive fundamentals any offense can be defended. If half court brothers you press to speed up game. Teams want to sit in a zone or soft man then complain when teams slow the game. GCA you obviously don't know who your talking to when you say I am dumb. Tempo of a game is controlled by the defense.

I never called you dumb man? I dont call people names on here. Think you got me confused with someone else.

So are you saying you only reward the defense if they press? Playing .45 of solid D doesn't count unless the D manages to turn over the offense?

Interesting to me everyones thoughts on this. So many people watching the same thing and taking away different thoughts.

Again....i didnt call you dumb I asked for your opinion thats what the forum is for. I think the poster called Shozen is the guilty party of the Dumb comment.

Carry on people

Edited by 12thmanGCA

IMO you should be able to get whatever you are trying to get in an offense within 45 seconds, no matter what you are running. On the other side if you are trying to run something and the defense plays good defense for 45 seconds they should be rewarded the ball. Everyone is looking at it as the counter to a stall ball game. Which obviously it would but I dont think that would be the main reason because like some of you have said how many times do you see a stall ball game. It would be more or less just to increase actual basketball, which is a good thing.

If this were to be put into place to "help the defense" then it only makes sense that the college 10 second count rule be put into place as well. Before entering the ball into the front court, if the ball is knocked out of bounds by a deflection, your 10 second back court count would not restart (in other words if it went out of bounds on a 7 count, you would have 3 seconds to get it across half court). 

IMO, that rule needs to be added before the shot clock, as it is a LOT more relevant in every game. 

The beauty of basketball in high school is that it is the one sport where a team with significantly less athletic ability can still compete and win by having superior discipline and teamwork. A lot of that is due to the absence of a shot clock which has (IMO, while we are giving opinions) ruined the game at other levels. It does not matter how long the shot clock, the fact it is there allows a team with superior athletic ability to simply sit back in a zone and let the clock force the other team to shoot. Shot clocks take 90% of the strategy out of the game. Make it short enough, and organized games are indistinguishable from the playground.

Other than making the game more entertaining for "fans" with little knowledge of the finer points of fundamental basketball, the clock serves no useful purpose.

The beauty of basketball in high school is that it is the one sport where a team with significantly less athletic ability can still compete and win by having superior discipline and teamwork. A lot of that is due to the absence of a shot clock which has (IMO, while we are giving opinions) ruined the game at other levels. It does not matter how long the shot clock, the fact it is there allows a team with superior athletic ability to simply sit back in a zone and let the clock force the other team to shoot. Shot clocks take 90% of the strategy out of the game. Make it short enough, and organized games are indistinguishable from the playground.

Other than making the game more entertaining for "fans" with little knowledge of the finer points of fundamental basketball, the clock serves no useful purpose.

So Dean Smith utilized the Four Corners Offense because he felt he had athletically inferior players?   In my opinion stalling is not about offensive discipline and teamwork. It's about limiting the scoring opportunities of the opponent.   I think about ten years ago I went to a high school playoff game where one team  (and no, they weren't particularly "athletically inferior" to their opponent) got a five or six point lead and then proceeded to hold onto the ball. They weren't trying to run plays, much less score. They were just nursing their lead. As I recall they had possession for nearly an entire period at one point. So is that the beauty you're referring to?  Unfortunately, I can't recall who the teams were much less who won the game. But I think the game was played at either Lipscomb or MLK.

Anyway, having said all of that, I'm not for a shot clock in high school. Most teams aren't nearly good enough from either an offensive or defensive standpoint for it to come into play.