Whitehaven Football 2017

Haven04

On 6/22/2017 at 4:36 PM, kwc said:

BHS:

Whitehaven 2017 HUDL schedule

What makes you think that the Whitehaven Classic isn't going to be played on Saturday, August 19th? It's always been on the Saturday of the first week of the season.

I don't know. It's still early and the TSSAA website has very little to go by. I think it happens.

I got some misinformation. You're right. We're playing Mitchell in the Classic

22 hours ago, Southtowner said:

And both White Station along with Germantown on Oct 27.

The 2017 Whitehaven football HUDL schedule

The 2017 Whitehaven football M A XPreps schedule

On both of those schedules, Whitehaven plays White Station on the 20th of October. However, they differ on the day we play Ridgeway. One says Friday, Aug. 25th, the other say Saturday, Aug. 26th.

Both of those are unofficial, along with CoachT's schedule. We will know for sure when the TSSAA schedules come out. This time of the year there are always some type of miscommunication.

1 hour ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

I got some misinformation. You're right. We're playing Mitchell in the Classic

Just some brief Whitehaven Classic history. According to the schedules on CoachT ... the first Whitehaven classic was in 2007. We've had 10 so far! We've played Mitchell six (6) times, Hillcrest two (2) times, and Hamilton two (2) times.

Whitehaven cornerback Rayshad Williams commits to Vanderbilt

Tom Kreager , USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee Published 7:47 p.m. CT June 25, 2017 | Updated 15 hours ago

35553607001_5271716805001_5271721564001-vs.jpg

Rayshad Williams

(Photo: Hudl)

Vanderbilt on Sunday picked up its third in-state prospect this month while continuing to stockpile recruits in the secondary for the Class of 2018.

Whitehaven cornerback Rayshad Williams committed to the Commodores, picking them over Arkansas, Mississippi State, Tennessee and Virginia Tech.

Williams is Vanderbilt's 12th commitment for the Class of 2018 and is the third defensive back to pledge to the Commodores in a four-day span. Cornerback Tre Douglas of Georgia committed to Vanderbilt on Thursday, and safety Dashaun Jerkins of Virginia committed on Friday.

Williams, a 6-foot-4, 183-pound senior, is a three-star prospect according to the 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 28 prospect in the state according to the recruiting site and No. 80 cornerback in the country.

"He is one that has an extremely high ceiling," Whitehaven coach Rodney Saulsberry said. "He's the new prototype corner. And he is extremely athletic for a man of that size.

"And he is a true corner."

Williams is joined by Brentwood Academy's Gavin Schoenwald and Camron Johnson as in-state recruits committed to the Nashville SEC school.

That comes a year after Vanderbilt didn't have an in-state pledge until Pearl-Cohn's Brayden Devault-Smith committed the day before national signing day, 

Williams had 44 tackles with three interceptions for Whitehaven in 2016. The Tigers defeated Oakland 12-9 in the 2016 TSSAA Class 6A state championship game. Williams had five tackles and an interception in the title game.

Saulsberry said Williams' role will expand this season. He'll play some on offense, potentially at quarterback or wide receiver. And he'll be on special teams.

Edited by kwc

On 6/20/2017 at 10:34 AM, kwc said:

Updates, per BHS request, from the Whitehaven Football Twitter page: Rashad Williams commits to Vandy

There have been offers to some juniors on the team. (Also a sophomore and a freshman) The list as follows:

Class of 2020 Offers:

#20, LB, Bryson Eason - Received offer from Ole Miss, Virginia Tech.

Class of 2019 Offers:

#81, TE, WR, DE, Cormontae Hamiltin - received off from Virginia Tech.

Class of 2018 Offers:

#13, WR, C.J. Biggins, III - (Invited to Nike's 'The Opening' Regionals), Invited to the Addidas 3 stripe (#3stripe) Camp in St. Louis in May, U.T. Martin

#19, DB, Rayshad Williams - Univ. of Tenn., Ole Miss, Univ. of MemphisUniv. of Arkansas (Invited to Nike's 'The Opening' Regionals) went on recruiting visit to Miss. State, Vanderbilt Univ., Univ. of VirginiaVirginia Tech Univ., invited to play in the V7 Elite Playmakers All American football game(Shad's Top 5 as of June 9th), Univ. of ColoradoIndiana Univ., Jackson State Univ., Committed to Vandy

#82, DE/TE, Devon Robinson. - Arkansas hosted him on November 12th at the Arkansas/LSU game. Alabama hosted him on November 26th at the Bama/Auburn game. Again, I have no clue who has offered to date. (Invited to Nike's 'The Opening' Regionals). NorthEastern State Univ.,,  Austin Peay Univ.Western Illinois Univ., Univ. of Louisville , Univ. of MemphisMississippi State Univ.

Green = New since last post

Edited by kwc

On 6/1/2017 at 10:53 AM, kwc said:

I want to give a gigantic shout out and congratulations to Whitehaven's own, and now HEAD COACH of the Fairley Bulddogs, Gene Robinson. He was on the Jason and John Show on 92.2 back on May 12th along with Marlon Brown promoting his football camp, ... 'Do the Right Thing' which is in it's 5th year. 

Congrats coach Robinson ... we will miss you being on the sidelines working with the DBs. You deserve this!

Robinson takes over at Fairley

John Varlas , The Tennessean10:00 a.m. CT June 4, 2017

generic football

(Photo: Getty Images)

Gene Robinson has been on one side of the one of football's most passionate neighborhood rivalries. And now he'll be getting a chance to view it from the other.

Robinson — who starred at linebacker at Whitehaven before going on to a successful career at North Carolina — was recently named head coach at Fairley. He replaces Kevin Patterson, who guided the Bulldogs to a 2-9 record in his only season.

"One of the first team meetings we had, some coaches from Virginia Tech came by," said the 26-year-old Robinson. "The players were like, 'Wow, we've never had a college coach in here before.'

"I feel like I can relate to these players. I want them to see that they can come out of the inner city like I did and play college football. I plan to get some tutoring in here, some ACT prep (courses) ... I want every kid that walks out of here ready for college.

"We're ready to get after it."

No one was more thrilled with the hiring than Robinson's coach at Whitehaven, defensive coordinator, Errol Harmon.

"I loving it," he said. "I think what got him was when he came down the summer (after graduating from North Carolina) and I asked him to help out. We talked about some of the things he should do and he listened.

"Gene actually taught me things about the game when I coached him. He's a winner and a fighter just like I am."

The Whitehaven-Fairley connection extends to Robinson's new offensive coordinator Leroy Banks. A former college standout at Southern Miss, Banks coached special teams and wide receivers at Whitehaven.

"It's a blessing to have him," said Robinson.

The Bulldogs and Tigers — located about a five-minute drive from one another — have traditionally met early in the season with the last Fairley victory coming in 2002. However, the schools haven't played in the last two seasons after Fairley became a charter school.

With Whitehaven as of this week still looking to round out its 2017 schedule, resurrecting the series now that Robinson's at Fairley seems like a natural move.

"I would love to get that game back on the schedule," Robinson said. "It would be big. Big for Fairley, big for the community."

(I missed this earlier. Again ... congrats coach Robinson and coach Banks!)

Edited by kwc