Wartburg Coaching Search?

TTUBOBCAT

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard some say they would like to see the middle school coach get it. I've heard the kids respect him and he is disciplined.

Guys who go straight to HS from MS without some serious HS experience on their resume usually struggle at that level.  There's a lot that works in MS that won't work in HS and vice versa.  I can't think of too many times it's ever worked out.  He might be all they can get, though.

Wartburg's a tough place to coach.  Everyone there is entitled and they've thrown every coach they've had under the bus for the last 10 years because all the kids and parents think they're incredible and smarter than whoever's on the sidelines, even though the best athletes go to Coalfield.  The bizarre crap I've heard of going on up there would surprise you.

Then there's the fact that Morgan County pay is awful and they don't pay a dime for benefits.  It's going to be hard to bring in an outsider, and promoting from within will probably just be more of the same.

I watched the Wartburg and GCA game this year and I would have to say that was one of the most pathetic football teams i can ever remember seeing before. Then I get to reading during the year how awful Morgan County pay is and no benefits and it all makes total sense to me now. You get what you pay for 0-10. Their 1-29 over the last three years with a win against Jelly-Roll.

Middle school coaches do have a hard time making the transition to high school.  There usually is a learning curve of at least 3 years. Ask Oliver Springs...no disrespect to Coach Green.  He has done a great job, but he has learned on the go.  I think given the right individual...this program could be turned around.  It is going to take a lot of hard work.  The benefits and pay are an issue that will have to be addressed.  As for Coalfield getting the athletes...there is something to that.   

This is probably the most pivotal hire Wartburg will make in the history of their football program. At a point when the Bulldogs are at their lowest point in program history, they have the chance to make a big hire that can change the culture of Wartburg football!! It will be a task to build this program back but there's talent in that underclassmen group! It's just going to take someone extremely passion, dedicated to the rebuilding process, and a vast knowledge of the game. First step is making the kids buy in and believe. You get that and form an excellent work ethic and you've took a big step in changing the program! I personally want to see Wartburg improve and become competitive. It's good for our area when schools like Wartburg are relevant and competitive!