knox west next head coach

Knoxtastic

You would have to think that a guy like Nix at Alcoa would apply and some other top assistants around here would apply. A lot of talk about Kevin Lane in the other thread but he didn't get it last time and there must be a reason. Why would that change this time around? Plus the fact he is not a certified teacher really hurts his chances, plus I have heard he isn't even teaching anymore. Don't know the guy but I am sure he is hoping like crazy to get the Clinton job. What other local head coaches around here that apply for it have a legitimate chance of getting it?

You would have to think that a guy like Nix at Alcoa would apply and some other top assistants around here would apply. A lot of talk about Kevin Lane in the other thread but he didn't get it last time and there must be a reason. Why would that change this time around? Plus the fact he is not a certified teacher really hurts his chances, plus I have heard he isn't even teaching anymore. Don't know the guy but I am sure he is hoping like crazy to get the Clinton job. What other local head coaches around here that apply for it have a legitimate chance of getting it?

There was some talk of Nix when the job was open when Harig was hired, but going from the Alcoa City system to the Knox County system would be a significant pay cut, and as I understood it at the time was the reason that there wasn't serious consideration from his part.  He is thought to be the guy who will replaced Gary Rankin when he decides to retire, whenever that happens.  

The "city" systems in the area - Maryville, Alcoa, Oak Ridge, Greeneville - just to name a few - pay much more than does Knox County.  It would be really difficult to bring in somebody from one of those systems where the teacher pay is much higher.  Even assistants in those city systems make much more money than head coaches in Knox County.  

One would think this job would draw a lot of interest.  Talent, location and a large stage.  This is the kind of job with success will propel you into the upper echelon of public school jobs.

I don't disgree in theory, but it is still Knox County Schools and Knox County Schools - fairly or not - has a reputation right now of not being one of the better systems to work in because of relatively low pay and the current teacher evaluation process.  

West was just coming off of a state championship when the job was open last time, yet there wasn't a plethora of out of system applications from guys with head coaching experience applying.  

That said, I believe it is a great job.  I also believe there are some very good potential candidates from within Knox County that would be good fits.  

I don't disgree in theory, but it is still Knox County Schools and Knox County Schools - fairly or not - has a reputation right now of not being one of the better systems to work in because of relatively low pay and the current teacher evaluation process.  

West was just coming off of a state championship when the job was open last time, yet there wasn't a plethora of out of system applications from guys with head coaching experience applying.  

That said, I believe it is a great job.  I also believe there are some very good potential candidates from within Knox County that would be good fits.  

I would think there are less than twenty public high schools that really pay well (70,000 plus).  Coaching at a big program opens more doors than a small one.  

An East TN coach would make more sense unless they will be able to find a position for a middle or west tn coach to start right away.

Edited by riverrat

Nix interviewed last time.  I believe it was his if he wanted it.  At that time the principal  would have him teaching a full schedule of classes, which for a head coach would only happen in knox county, ha ha.  Then, throw in the pay cut.  I think he heard what West had to offer and said thanks but no thanks.  Different principal this time around.  Much more supportive of athletics.  

One would think this job would draw a lot of interest.  Talent, location and a large stage.  This is the kind of job with success will propel you into the upper echelon of public school jobs.

HTV beat me to it. KCS really isn't that desirable, given the current political environment (evaluation process, teaching standards are in limbo, etc) and the low pay, relative to other area school systems. Most surrounding school systems are paying teachers/coaches more; maybe not $10k-20k+ more in all cases, but definitely more.

Edited by osunut2

HTV beat me to it. KCS really isn't that desirable, given the current political environment (evaluation process, teaching standards are in limbo, etc) and the low pay, relative to other area school systems. Most surrounding school systems are paying teachers/coaches more; maybe not $10-20k+ more in every case, but definitely more.

Still a good spring-board job for a coordinator or small ball head coach.  

Nix interviewed last time.  I believe it was his if he wanted it.  At that time the principal  would have him teaching a full schedule of classes, which for a head coach would only happen in knox county, ha ha.  Then, throw in the pay cut.  I think he heard what West had to offer and said thanks but no thanks.  Different principal this time around.  Much more supportive of athletics.  

Pretty close to what I was told, as well, how it went down two years ago.  

But that said, the principal and superintendent may be new, but the pay scale is still the same, and that's going to keep guys like him with a family to think about supporting away.  

Edited by HTV