knox west next head coach

Knoxtastic

I Love Kevin Lane, and he has done a great job at west over the past few years. It's no secret that west's biggest problem was scoring points. With that being said does the admin. Go after a offensive minded head coach, or give Lane the job and trust him to find a good OC?

I have pondered this myself. I wonder if there is anyone on staff that could take over the roll of OC or if he would have to find someone to bring in.

I have pondered this myself. I wonder if there is anyone on staff that could take over the roll of OC or if he would have to find someone to bring in.

I would say West would bring someone in to be the HC/OC instead of hire within.  They have not been able to score any points the last two years, and if Lane got the job, he would be best served to hire an OC from somewhere else.

Nix interviewed last time. I believe it was his if he wanted it. At that time the principal would have him teaching a full schedule of classes, which for a head coach would only happen in knox county, ha ha. Then, throw in the pay cut. I think he heard what West had to offer and said thanks but no thanks. Different principal this time around. Much more supportive of athletics.

I teach in Knox County and I agree with you about the low pay, the "who you know" mentality and very little if any administrative support, but the one thing I disagree with is your statement about teaching a full slate of class. Most Knox County Schools are on the block system so you'll teach 3-4 classes a day, I mean this isn't college the first priority is to educate the kids.

Big mistake by West not hiring Lane the first time around, probably won't happen now for two reasons. One being that I think Lane is still hurt from being passed over the first time. Second is now everyone from West is worried that if he's hired, they'll have an all world Defense but sputter on Offense. Sources tell me if he was to be hired, he would in fact hire an OC from somewhere else and not from within. IMO, either hire Lane or throw the book at some top notch assistants like Nix.

or throw the book at some top notch assistants like Nix.

Knox County Schools have no "book" to throw at coaches.  They can't be "compensated" through booster clubs or other outside sources of income associated with their positions as coaches.  They get the teachers pay for which they qualify on the scale (years experience, career ladder, degree level, ect) that every other teacher gets, and the same coaching supplements that every other coach in the county gets.   

Edited by HTV

Knox County Schools have no "book" to throw at coaches. They can't be "compensated" through booster clubs or other outside sources of income associated with their positions as coaches. They get the teachers pay for which they qualify on the scale (years experience, career ladder, degree level, ect) that every other teacher gets, and the same coaching supplements that every other coach in the county gets.

LOL.