OAK RIDGE 2017 FOOTBALL

WillieTheWildcat

The only reason they replaced the visitors stands is they were forced to by the state UNSAFE. They were reported to state after repeated visits to the school board about the problems. This school board isn't going to spend any money on "The Ship" unless they are forced to. There I said it and got it off my chest!

The only reason they replaced the visitors stands is they were forced to by the state UNSAFE. They were reported to state after repeated visits to the school board about the problems. This school board isn't going to spend any money on "The Ship" unless they are forced to. There I said it and got it off my chest!

The school board better penny up now because it will be even more expensive later if they wait.

I am glad to hear that Etheridge may stick it out with track. I don't know why you would do one and not the other.

I have heard about various fundraisers like breakfasts and things like that which all seem small potatoes to me. Is there a real fundraising push to get businesses involved? I don't think I have seen anything that looked to me as if it could raise the money you would need to do the type of renovation it seems like you need. Who is leading this charge?

At one point the money was raised and in place to do the turf field, that's when the state came in and made us replace the visiting stands with that money.  So, that was a big set back.  There is an ambitious plan in place that has several phases.  It's just slow going.  There was an initial mail out brochure that went out to the whole city.  It was very well done with renderings of the finished stadium with planned improvements and different levels of donations.  It looked awesome.  In my opinion, I don't think the response from the businesses and citizens of Oak Ridge was what they expected.  So, I think at this point the whole project is probably in what you might call  "plan B" status.  

I don't get on here much these days but I think the problem with the stadium renovation is the leadership at the school. Who makes athletics decisions?  Gaddis? Green1 or Green 2? Principal? What are the priorities for stadium renovation?  The current playing surface is the best thing going up there.  Stands, press box, no visitor facilities all need work because the stadium is basically from the 50's. Does the "current" AD have the moxy to get anything done?

I have to disagree with oridgecat about funds for the turf. There was no talk of turf when the visitors bleachers were replaced. That all started 15 years ago. The School Board was asked about new bleachers and we were told there was no money. The state was asked to come in and inspect the bleachers and they were condemned. Then they had to fix them. That's what is gonna have to happen to get anything done at "The Ship".

I don't get on here much these days but I think the problem with the stadium renovation is the leadership at the school. Who makes athletics decisions?  Gaddis? Green1 or Green 2? Principal? What are the priorities for stadium renovation?  The current playing surface is the best thing going up there.  Stands, press box, no visitor facilities all need work because the stadium is basically from the 50's. Does the "current" AD have the moxy to get anything done?

All fair questions.