Glencliff Football Job

runtheball

Winning breeds a winning attitude. Coach Jim Wilson was able to do that at Glencliff. He was a very personable man and treated everyone with respect. For the right person with a desire to invest in the kids that Glencliff has, the potential for success is definitely there. The scary part of the players there for me is they definitely pass the eye test. When a coach is able to love on those kids and instill some discipline and confidence, they can be a very tough out for anyone.

This job has to be appealing to a young spitfire coach. If you don't think you could be successful here don't apply. The potential is there. Use the strengths that these kids bring. Size, athleticism and team speed. The building blocks are already there.

I know a young coach that really wants this job and would help change this program but the powers that be haven't responed to any of his applications or emails. He's the man for the job will bring a lot to the table here

So who is he or at least give us his background.

He's a good friend of mine that I had the pleasure of meeting at a coaches convention. Very smart and energetic young man would bring a lot to this program. All state player in HS was recruited by over 20 schools. Signed to play SEC football after one year transferred to D1AA school where he finished. Tried out for several NFL teams including a combine invite and played arena football where he was a 2 time champion and defensive MVP at DL. Has a five year coaching background spent the last 2 as a Defensive coordinator. Very well spoken and very involved with the community boys and girls clubs, after school programs, volunteering, pee wee leagues and AAU. He's your guy he knows how to get things done and will excite the kids. To many times we try to go with experience but that's not always a winning formula an older coach mite have trouble rellating to the kids. Look what Maryville did a power like that hired a young guy. This school hasn't been good for years and need energy he will bring that no more 0-10 seasons!

Appreciate the info. Obviously he applied so time will tell. Is he already a metro guy or is he outside.

Yes and yes to certified and already a metro guy! he probably want be considered and this isn't alcoa or maryville that would explain the years of 1-9 and 0-10. I do hope whoever the school hires helps the kids win no school in the state deserves to lose that much. I have a few friends that have applied for head football coaching jobs but what do I know I coach youth soccer lol the original football but you guys have a happy new year and I hope you get a great coach.

The bigger question is does he have a teaching certificate in Tennessee?

This has become an overlooked commodity. for some reason. Too many young guys that think they don't have to teach also. This ain't Hoover. (or Alcoa). Heck even GR used to teach Drivers Ed.

Question Chief

If a coach isn't certified but works in the school, what is the difference in that? Never understood that myself.. idk.. Not being sarcastic just curious

Edited by HighLife

support? they get the equipment they need,they have a weight room, locker room.  they have a practice field and a stadium. winning? is that all it is about. do not all kids deserve to be coached. Are you saying that all the coaches that coached in the state championship games could not make a difference here. They can only win with players? I know many schools that have the same support and facilities and still win. this is a good job because you get to coach football and train kids, winning is just a by product of doing the right things.every school has obstacles , most people just call them excuses.

Coaching at Glencliff is like coaching a United Nations team with something like 35+ different languages being spoken inside the school.  Many of the students are 1st generation in the United States and are required  to go to work immediately after school with their family.  Another point is that many of the students may have participated in soccer but have never seen a live football game in their life. 

Question Chief

If a coach isn't certified but works in the school, what is the difference in that? Never understood that myself.. idk.. Not being sarcastic just curious

If a coach is a classified employee (like an Educational Assistant or a secretary), that is seen as the same in the eyes of the TSSAA as being no different than a certified employee. So it still "counts." They just won't make as much money as a certified employee.

There is a rule, not sure if it's TSSAA or metro, that a hc must be a certified teacher or retired teacher. However there are ways around this as some schools have shown. I know someone that applied and would be good but who knows what will happen. I'm told interviews are on this week.

Highlife I see your point. Someone invested in the school and kids but not certified. My take is that for some that might work and even make sense. But it would also open the door to having a lot of coaches that don't have the tools and understanding of what it really entails to be around kids. There would be a huge downside in my honest opinion for most.

Edited by workinprogress

There is a rule, not sure if it's TSSAA or metro, that a hc must be a certified teacher or retired teacher. However there are ways around this as some schools have shown. I know someone that applied and would be good but who knows what will happen. I'm told interviews are on this week.

Highlife I see your point. Someone invested in the school and kids but not certified. My take is that for some that might work and even make sense. But it would also open the door to having a lot of coaches that don't have the tools and understanding of what it really entails to be around kids. There would be a huge downside in my honest opinion for most.

I just think that if you are in the building, it shouldn't matter if you are certified or not.. I get it both ways though, it is a fine line.

As far as Glencliff, I just don't think you can be successful there in terms of wins and losses.. Those kids deserve a coach though who is going to put in the time to make them competitive. Good luck to whoever gets the position