TN Coach's Poll 9 January

ArtusCimber

interestingly enough, if you look at the finals of the dual state championship just a few years ago, you will see the difference between Cleveland's team and the Wilson Central team. the score was something in the 70's to like 3.  Naive?  that is some separation there.

I had to look it up on TSSAA.org, the final was 78-4.

Edited by texas23

Cleveland 42-16 over Soddy. Are you telling me there is that much separation between 2nd and 3rd in the state??? Are you that naive?

Could be 1st and 3rd or 1st and 2nd. We have got to prove that we can beat these 2 teams first. Cleveland is stacked this year. Don't let that young team fool anyone. You would probably see another 70-3 Cleveland win if WC and Cleveland went head to head again. You'll be seeing this in a few weeks up in Franklin if you haven't seen any of these 3 teams this year.

In 2015, I watched a peaking wildcat team beat the Bears in match 20 (41-35) I believe? They then wrestled the Cleveland team in the finals and I believe they lost (35-26)

(In 2013 and 2014, they beat Soddy before making it into finals.)

I remember everyone's eyes and shock as the crowd realized that the wildcats had earned the match against

the Bears. With their proud history of success, most of their vocal fans were still encouraging them to fight even

when it was mathematically impossible to recover.

That team and program has been built up in a relatively short time by their coaching staff. They don't have the history that the Chattanooga teams have built, but they

Have earned their spot as a high quality team in this state.

Edited by HSDAD

What Soddy does year in year out is impressive, they don't have the numbers everyone else has in their programs they are in the McCallie / Baylor recruiting zone. They wrestle against the two best public school teams in the state in the same region every year. And they have actually won the state. By two best public school teams I mean they have by far and away the most titles. What The Bradley / Cleveland teams do year in year out is going to be hard to ever match by a public school in this state again. Even Walker Valley had the MOW last year.

For a while, please elaborate? I'm pretty sure Wilson central finished second multiple times at the duals during the last few years, and they are not from region 4.

In 2015, I watched a peaking wildcat team beat the Bears in match 20 (41-35) I believe? They then wrestled the Cleveland team in the finals and I believe they lost (35-26)

(In 2013 and 2014, they beat Soddy before making it into finals.)

I remember everyone's eyes and shock as the crowd realized that the wildcats had earned the match against

the Bears. With their proud history of success, most of their vocal fans were still encouraging them to fight even

when it was mathematically impossible to recover.

That team and program has been built up in a relatively short time by their coaching staff. They don't have the history that the Chattanooga teams have built, but they

Have earned their spot as a high quality team in this state.

My point.  Everyone wants to hand the title to Chattanooga teams and bypass anyone else being in the conversation.  I'm betting a Chattanooga team wins this year but I'm holding firm on my stance that the Top 3, not even 3 of Top 4 are in Chattanooga area.  Wilson, Beech, Summit, Arlington, Tennessee High, Science Hill, Halls, and even Bartlett have to be in the discussion for top 4.  History is important but day in and out, these teams have to wrestle to prove their supremacy and other parts of Tennessee are beginning to catch up.  We don't have the history yet but that doesn't mean we can't compete in the present.

And Anotherback, that's an invalid argument.  Every public school competes with private in each region.  But I can say with a ton of certainty that Soddy is not losing wrestlers each year to Baylor/McCallie.  Maybe one here and there but not enough to vault them to the top of the podium each year. 

OW. Nobody here wants anything handed to them not on the mat and they know it won't be. The kids coaches they get it. This is just a board. As far as invalid goes I never said Soddy loses kids every year to privates. I have no idea where all their kids club kids end up. It's a process. Their location hurts them. Both with the accessibility and them competing with other programs for kids. Your wrestling rooms even at a young age is extremely important. Bradley had a huge youthroom thanks to the like of Alan Morris and Disney and eventually it paid off for them. Like wise Cleveland built Higher Calling. Several have headed it up and although Cleveland gets most of those kids many from around here and some from Knoxville and Georgia will come from time to time to get better practices. I'm all for middle being as good and building their programs. I'd like to see Clarksville program resurface. Those were some great matches back in the day. Good luck to all.

interestingly enough, if you look at the finals of the dual state championship just a few years ago, you will see the difference between Cleveland's team and the Wilson Central team. the score was something in the 70's to like 3.  Naive?  that is some separation there.

I had to look it up on TSSAA.org, the final was 78-4.

yeah they pounded us that year,  but in 2015 the score was 35-26

Cleveland was Tough as nails and still are and I have tons of respect for them as well as the other Chattanooga teams .  they are the measuring stick for any team to see how good they are. 

Could be 1st and 3rd or 1st and 2nd. We have got to prove that we can beat these 2 teams first. Cleveland is stacked this year. Don't let that young team fool anyone. You would probably see another 70-3 Cleveland win if WC and Cleveland went head to head again. You'll be seeing this in a few weeks up in Franklin if you haven't seen any of these 3 teams this year.

We already wrestled them and Soddy, lost to both by 9 points at Tullahoma duals

yeah they pounded us that year,  but in 2015 the score was 35-26

Cleveland was Tough as nails and still are and I have tons of respect for them as well as the other Chattanooga teams .  they are the measuring stick for any team to see how good they are. 

thanks coach, my point was to show that the spread between any in the top four was not the measuring stick.  Your team clearly belonged and performed all year long.  congrats on your efforts and future success.