Eight player football

Indian

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why doesn't the TSSAA offer this? It could be an alternative for the smallest schools that struggle with numbers, and could convince non TSSAA members to join. 

Will 3 to 4 players make that big of difference to a school like Lookout Valley?  Or schools that don't play football like Santa Fe?

Why doesn't the TSSAA offer this? It could be an alternative for the smallest schools that struggle with numbers, and could convince non TSSAA members to join. 

8 MAN FOOTBALL WOULD BE A BOOM TO PROGRAMS LIKE LOOKOUT VALLEY...TENNESSEE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL IN CLEVELAND MIGHT HAVE SAVED THEIR PROGRAM IF 8 MAN FOOTBALL WAS AVAILABLE........NEVER HAVE BEEN CONVINCED THAT THE TSSAA ALWAYS HAD THE BEST INTEREST OF THE STUDENT/ATHLETE AS THEIR #1 PRIORITY.

I believe it would be a viable option for smaller schools. The focus had been on privates in D1. The next will be open enrollment. But I believe 8 man football would be an option that would make the most sense. The small schools are the ones who lack the size in the line and the 8 man would cater to that.

It would be a boom to the smaller schools.  We have a lot of 8-man teams around Nashville that are not in the T$$AA, therefore scheduling would not be a problem.

I wish they would offer it.  It's the way to go for 1A, I believe.  Even 6 man or 9 man would be good. 

The 3 fewer players really does make a big difference.  That's 2 linemen and 1 less skill guy you need to worry about putting out there, or 27% fewer players overall.  It also helps open up space on the field.  A team with 24 kids on the roster will struggle just to field a team in 11 man football, but in 8 man that's like having 32 kids, which is doable.  It's just easier and cheaper to put together.

The TSSAA doesn't offer it because they don't feel it's viable (read: less gate money for them) and even most of the small schools would rather play 11 man because we don't have that tradition here and people don't think it's "real football."  I believe we will see a push for it in the next 10 years as participation in football drops and expenses go up.

There are some 8 man teams in Tennessee, but they play as independents or as part of other associations.  Most of them are privates or home school associations.  Tri-Cities Christian began as an 8 man program, then went to 11 man before they folded up shop a year ago.  The established 8 man teams we have are almost all based around Nashville and Memphis.

The "championships" these schools compete for are jokes, though. You've never heard of the leagues they play in, where they compete against what are basically HS-aged Pop Warner teams in a Travel Ball version of football.  Their "playoffs" are money rackets more than anything else.

Edited by BlueDevil58